Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Track Day Insurance  (Read 2689 times)

Offline RossC

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 14STR
  • City / Town: Elstow
Track Day Insurance
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »
sorry if this is the wrong place but this looked the most appropriate to me.

got my first track day booked for 5th may at Silverstone. got some new tyres so now i'm stressing about insurance. the way I see it is
get insurance
don't get insurance
rent something

what does everyone else do for trackdays? I just don't want to toss a 10k bike down the track

Offline kam

• Street Triple Master
  • Success is a journey, not a destination. . .
  • Bike: GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Surrey
Re: Track Day Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 11:59:20 AM »
I'm not sure what options are there for TD insurance, but most of the seasoned TD goers don't bother. I myself have taken the Street on track, you'll only go as fast as your right hand will let you, but it is always a risk you'll come off.

Most of my TD action is done on my old R6, didn't cost me too much and I don't mind if it goes down the road.

Just go out there, take your time, enjoy it and push as much as your comfortable, you should be fine and come home in one piece.  :028: There's no prizes for coming first on a TD.

Kam

Offline _STR

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Defector! ZX6R 636
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
If you can't afford (in the absolute worst case) to write off the bike completely then you shouldn't take it on track IMO .

You need to decide your own level of risk and either get insurance (usually only pays half the bike's value)  or a cheaper bike to reduce your risk if  its too much.

Personally I ride with no insurance and take the risk..

Offline marleymouse

• Street Triple Master
  • City / Town: berkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
 like others have said you will only ride as fast as you feel happy with..you will be in the novice group so you won't get into any tangles with the fast boys..the track is safer than the road, nobody coming the other way & nobody pulling out in front of you..take your mirrors off tape over the speedo go & enjoy.. :031:

Offline shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:50:27 PM »
One of the main bike insurace brokers but can not remember which gives track day insurace in with your road insurace,you pay the first 1500 if you crash it on track,its too late telling you now but when your insurace is due you could have alook round and get a quote.

Offline kam

• Street Triple Master
  • Success is a journey, not a destination. . .
  • Bike: GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Surrey
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by shaun [+]
One of the main bike insurace brokers but can not remember which gives track day insurace in with your road insurace,you pay the first 1500 if you crash it on track,its too late telling you now but when your insurace is due you could have alook round and get a quote.

I think that MCE used to offer that, but from memory (as I used to have this policy), it only used to cover you at certain tracks, but it may have changed since.

Offline RossC

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »
Mce offer track as part of the deal. They've priced their selves out of it tho

Offline RossC

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
thanks for the advice people. I did a quote from Moris and it came back at 120 will probably take that if I do get the insurance, just spoke to someone who does a lot of track days at the local bike dealer and he backs up what all you are saying so yea thanks again. ill post some pics when I go.

Offline marleymouse

• Street Triple Master
  • City / Town: berkshire
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
Hope you have good weather Ross I'm sure you will be surprised at how good your bike is!

Offline Stonesie

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Yamaha MT-10
  • City / Town: Doncaster
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 11:54:06 PM »
I've decided to go without, booked in at Cadwell Park on Monday and the forecast is cool/occasional showers.

First time on track on a bike so will be letting self preservation rule my throttle hand.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat