Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What tyres for first track day (if it rains)  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Gremlin

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: STR'12, Daytona R'14
  • City / Town: Bolton
What tyres for first track day (if it rains)
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:44:13 PM »
Hi,

Doing my first track day in September and currently have the Pirelli DRC's fitted which I love in the dry but scare me in the wet. If it rains on the day I'll probably bail with the current tyres!  :006:

Was thinking of putting some new tyres on the STR that are more all-rounders.

Thoughts are:
Metzeller M7RR's
Bridgestone S30's
Michelin PR4's

Any sugestions?

Ta.
Anyone up for rides out round Rivington, Belmont, Blackburn, just give us a shout :-)

Offline Steffydog

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: 2015 ST'RX
  • City / Town: East London/Essex
Re: What tyres for first track day (if it rains)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
I have the M7RR's I did two track days and 2000 miles, still look like new. Cracking tyre IMO
Street Triple RX 2015
Daytona 675 2008 Track toy

Offline Gilly76

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: R1, STRS, S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »
If you're nervous about the rain and wet, definitely the PR4's.

Offline Speedfreak67

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 14STR
  • City / Town: Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 06:43:43 PM »
Like most things tyres are very much personal preference, you will never be comfortable on your bike if you don't trust the tyres.

I am a Michelin fanboy and currently have Power 3's on both the Street and the Blade, for me they inspire confidence in the wet as well as the dry.  I have done 2 trackdays on them (my first ever trackdays) the second one being a wet morning and I found the feedback from them excellent; I could feel the rear starting to slide if I gave it a bit too much out of the corners without the sudden stepping out I had from the OEM Pirelli.  If you ride all year round though the PR3/4's might be better, I used PR3's over the last winter as I find them to be very good in cold, wet conditions.

Offline Gremlin

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: STR'12, Daytona R'14
  • City / Town: Bolton
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
Thanks for the advice chaps. I was never nervous about riding in the rain until riding with the Pirelli DRC's and other forum users agree based on other posts on this forum.

In the dry I'm fine with these tyres and the lack of chicken strips on the back proves this  :008:

I have had PR4's on a previous ST but that was the non 'R' version. I found them grippy but very stiff but never tried them on the track.

Heard lots of good things about the M7RR's and looking on Oponeo the prices look resonable too.
Anyone up for rides out round Rivington, Belmont, Blackburn, just give us a shout :-)

Offline hayden

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 15 STr
  • City / Town: North Birmngham
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Hi Gremlin
   I too would not like to do a wet trackday on the Pirelli`s and will be changing to a more all round tyre.

I was thinking of going the normal PR4 route, undoubtedly a good wet/all round tyre.....But, I`ve used PR2`s on all my bikes up to this one, ( several Daytona`s, BM`s, Honda CBr`s etc) done a few trackdays, a couple in the rain, toured Scotland in the rain ( moving on a bit at times too.. :007:) and commute all year round, and they never let me down.

They may not be `the` tyre anymore, but there still bloody good and when you look at the price they may be the `canny` choice?

cheers  H

Offline Eunuch

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2011 STR
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by hayden [+]
Hi Gremlin
   I too would not like to do a wet trackday on the Pirelli`s and will be changing to a more all round tyre.

I was thinking of going the normal PR4 route, undoubtedly a good wet/all round tyre.....But, I`ve used PR2`s on all my bikes up to this one, ( several Daytona`s, BM`s, Honda CBr`s etc) done a few trackdays, a couple in the rain, toured Scotland in the rain ( moving on a bit at times too.. :007:) and commute all year round, and they never let me down.

They may not be `the` tyre anymore, but there still bloody good and when you look at the price they may be the `canny` choice?

cheers  H
I'm a big fan of the PR2s also. Still running them on the STR and they've had some real stick in the Alps and never let me down dry or wet conditions.
Daz
2003 954
2011 STR
2013 R1200GS

Offline RickyH

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Diablo Red STR
  • City / Town: Penicuik
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:28:25 PM »
I've just fitted a set of M7RRs and hoping to do my first trackday on them soon, as it will be Knockhill, its a fair chance its gonna rain  :006: I'm going up to applecross this weekend too, will let you know how they feel.

Offline vayduh

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: STR 2013>
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 10:01:19 PM »
Knockhill is on my doorstep -  will have to look into what is available for novices!

Offline Stewarty

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: STRX
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 01:01:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by vayduh [+]
Knockhill is on my doorstep -  will have to look into what is available for novices!

Where is it your from vayduh ?  I'm in the area  :028:

Recent Posts/Topics