Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Trackday (Advice sought)  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Gremlin

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: STR'12, Daytona R'14
  • City / Town: Bolton
First Trackday (Advice sought)
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:06:14 AM »
Hi Chaps,

Doing my first ever track day at Oulton Park.

I'm gonna' be preping the bike soon, mirrors off, headlights taped up etc...was just wondering if I'll need to take off my SP Engineering cans and put the stock ones back on to get through the noise testing; both static and drive by? Currently got the baffles in but it's still at LOT louder than the stock cans.

Also, dumb question but, what about fuel? I'm asuming there are pumps on site? Can't see a full tank lasting very long!

Any other advice anyone can supply would be most helpful, apart from don't bin it  :008:

Ta.
Anyone up for rides out round Rivington, Belmont, Blackburn, just give us a shout :-)

Offline Hayesey68

• Street Triple Master
Re: First Trackday (Advice sought)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:27:10 AM »
Hi gremlin,I did a couple of taster sessions at oulton park last year on my blade,I had a pipe werx can on with the baffle in and it was ok but they are quite strict in levels,a couple of guys in the queue with me got refused for exceeding noise limits so couldn't go on track and lost their money! If your not sure about how much noise your cans make i'de swap them back to standard just to be sure,would be a shame to get there and get refused! Also they have petrol pumps at the circuit but there's a petrol station about half a mile away at the big junction,most people fill up before going in then top up if need be inside.enjoy it,ride within your limits and don't forget to breath!! 🏼

Offline Gremlin

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hayesey68 [+]
Hi gremlin,I did a couple of taster sessions at oulton park last year on my blade,I had a pipe werx can on with the baffle in and it was ok but they are quite strict in levels,a couple of guys in the queue with me got refused for exceeding noise limits so couldn't go on track and lost their money! If your not sure about how much noise your cans make i'de swap them back to standard just to be sure,would be a shame to get there and get refused! Also they have petrol pumps at the circuit but there's a petrol station about half a mile away at the big junction,most people fill up before going in then top up if need be inside.enjoy it,ride within your limits and don't forget to breath!! 🏼

Yeah, breathing quite important :-)

I'll chuck the old cans on just to be safe.

Just need to decide which new tyres to put on.

Narrowed it down to either Metzeller M7 RR's (175) or Michellin Pilot Road 2's (150) inc del from Oponeo
Anyone up for rides out round Rivington, Belmont, Blackburn, just give us a shout :-)

Offline stewslash

• Street Triple Master
  • City / Town: liverpool
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:43 AM »
Oulton is a great track , you'll love it , I've done two track days there in the novice , as said they are strict with the noise testing so you are best off putting the standard cans back on if it's loud.
To be honest I've never felt the same love for road riding after my first track day , and have considered selling up for a track bike and probably would do if our weather wasn't to rubbish !

Offline STR675r

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Selby
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
If u can go to down to the track with your bike before your track day and ask them to test the noise level. Thats if there's a track day on before yours. 
On track try not to get the red mist.  And remember to leave your ego in the pits.  You will be quicker than others and others will be quicker than you.  Don't push your limits especially if it's a road bike. 

Offline Gremlin

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »
In terms of noise level I've just ordered a DB meter from fleebay as I figured it would be worth it if I was gonna do more days at different venues.

The Trackday organiser's website gives very specific instructions on how they measure the noise levels so I figured it's worth a shot?

A friend did this with his Mivv carbon cans on a KTM 990 which was quite loud but the DB meter showed he was still within the102Db(A) limits at Oulton Park.

I know it would be simpler to put the stock cans back on but the SP Engineering GP Carbon cans sound amazing, particularly on the over-run :007:

Also, just realised I haven't fixed the leaky oil gallery plug yet so that's the first job before I do anything else!!

Offline Gilly76

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: R1, STRS, S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
As above there are a couple of petrol stations literally 2-3 mins from the circuit, so just fill up in the morning, and then at Lunchtime and you'll be fine.

A lot of people invest in the Ebay noise meters, but I know from experience that there will be some discrepancy. There's nothing worse than seeing people who've paid good money, and not getting out on track due to noisy exhausts. 

Mirrors remove them if you'll be tempted to use them, if not leave them on. I've done loads of TD's over the last few years and never took my mirrors off. Same with your lights, save the tape and don't bother.

Personally I'd go for the M7RR's. but they're all black and round and more than adequate if it's your first time on track.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat