Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaking brake reservoir advice.  (Read 867 times)

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
Re: Leaking brake reservoir advice.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
Does old / contaminated brake fluid boil at a lower temperature...if so, that might be a clue  :007:

As far as I know, brake fluid does boil at high temperatures (not 100 c or something like that). The water that it sucks in with time will lower that boiling point... Fluid was replaced in February, and unfortunately bike has had little riding... Can be a reason though.
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »
Take the lid and seal off, give them both a good clean, with IPA or brake cleaner, make suure they are dry. Make sure thefluid level is at max or slightly below, NOT above, then put top back on and tighten the scews evenly.

This assumed you have a standad ST without the Radial Master Cylinder.

See how you go after that, if you still get a leak I would repalce the seal and check the top is flat across the mating surface as if the screws have been over tightened it can distort the lid.

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Green_Ninja [+]
Take the lid and seal off, give them both a good clean, with IPA or brake cleaner, make suure they are dry. Make sure thefluid level is at max or slightly below, NOT above, then put top back on and tighten the scews evenly.

This assumed you have a standad ST without the Radial Master Cylinder.

See how you go after that, if you still get a leak I would repalce the seal and check the top is flat across the mating surface as if the screws have been over tightened it can distort the lid.

I've got a STR 2011. thanks for the advice. I'll probably try IPA to try to dry out the seal a bit, and then put everything back together.

Cheers

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 11:37:17 PM »
Ok, just a bit of an update...

Pulled cap and seals off, cleaned all up with methylated spirits, sucked out 3 to 4 ml of fluid and put everything back together, hoping that this would 100% fix the issue...

Got on the bike this morning to get to work (highway riding, "0" lean angles, gentle braking throughout), and noticed that there's still a bit of a leak at the front of the reservoir  :087: :230:... Got to work a bit pissed off, and got on the phone to my local dealer to learn if they source the seal only... Much to my disappointment they don't. Only sell the full unit at a whopping $150 (AUD). I checked worldoftriumph and it's the same story... So here I am, jumping for joy  :134: :134: :134:

Things I'll try;

> Re-do the cleaning again, but this time not tighten the seal as much... Maybe I overtightened it and that has caused a small lift on the seal...

> The reservoir has a locating pin to the mounting bracket, that doesn't allow the reservoir to sit 100% vertical... And therefore, there's always fluid "pushing" towards one of the sides of the reservoir... Funny enough, this is the area of the reservoir where I think the weak point is... Maybe either move bracket to allow for vertical reservoir, or snap locating pin...

> If all else fails, get one of those funky reservoir sweatbands that will soak up any fluid that ends up finding a way out of the reservoir...

Any thoughts or comments are very welcome

Thanks.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Offline crusty20

• Street Triple God
  • If you're going through hell - keep going
  • Bike: Street triple
  • City / Town: Barnsley,South Yorks
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 07:24:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by JonyB [+]
Ok, just a bit of an update...

Pulled cap and seals off, cleaned all up with methylated spirits, sucked out 3 to 4 ml of fluid and put everything back together, hoping that this would 100% fix the issue...

Got on the bike this morning to get to work (highway riding, "0" lean angles, gentle braking throughout), and noticed that there's still a bit of a leak at the front of the reservoir  :087: :230:... Got to work a bit pissed off, and got on the phone to my local dealer to learn if they source the seal only... Much to my disappointment they don't. Only sell the full unit at a whopping $150 (AUD). I checked worldoftriumph and it's the same story... So here I am, jumping for joy  :134: :134: :134:

Things I'll try;

> Re-do the cleaning again, but this time not tighten the seal as much... Maybe I overtightened it and that has caused a small lift on the seal...

> The reservoir has a locating pin to the mounting bracket, that doesn't allow the reservoir to sit 100% vertical... And therefore, there's always fluid "pushing" towards one of the sides of the reservoir... Funny enough, this is the area of the reservoir where I think the weak point is... Maybe either move bracket to allow for vertical reservoir, or snap locating pin...

> If all else fails, get one of those funky reservoir sweatbands that will soak up any fluid that ends up finding a way out of the reservoir...

Any thoughts or comments are very welcome

Thanks.
Hi Jony B, if it was me Id throw away the leaking reservoir and replace it with a quality Rizoma unit made from billet aluminium, cost 77 available from Moore Speed Racing. Ive had one on my Bike for around 6 years and its been trouble free. I didnt have to buy the extra mounting bracket as I modified/ welded the old STR bracket to my own spec/design. Looks great and better than the standard Triumph reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 07:02:14 PM »
Had the same thing on another bike with the same front master cylinder as the non R Street Triples after I changed the brake fluid.

Turned out I didnt tighten the screws enough from fear of stripping the threads or screw head. If theres a tiny gap between the top cover and the body its not tight enough, make sure the seal and plastic part is correctly assembled and oriented and tighten it until theres no gap, all should be well.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat