Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ridiculous insurance quotes  (Read 2218 times)

Offline AndyW

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple '16
  • City / Town: Harpenden
Ridiculous insurance quotes
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:32 AM »
So my insurance runs out early next month and I decided to compare quotes for renewal. My current insurer is offering a slight reduction in my premium but I still felt it sensible to see what others were offering.

Nothing exceptional cropped up so I guess I'll stay with my current insurer (Devitt) as they offer me a 10% discount at sportsbikeshop.co.uk

Before I concluded my dealings I decided to check out the prices on sports bikes, as we'd previously discussed the itch I'd like to scratch, and found something odd.

For a Fireblade worth 3k less than my bike the insurance quotes were coming in 60 LESS. Surely the added power, thus likelyhood in the eyes of an insurer to have an accident, can't be completely offset by the lower value right?

To check out the theory I found a similarly priced Daytona and ran it through the search site and it came out 90 cheaper!

Has anyone got a logical explanation for this? Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Offline Tjlazeruk

• Street Triple Pro
Re: Ridiculous insurance quotes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »
It's just the statistics, a lot of our bikes are stolen as a proportion of the total reported bike thefts and so prices are higher. Same for my wife's Skoda which is more likely to be in an accident apparently.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Online shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
If you look at street triples for sale on eBay auto trader etc you will notice there are lots of cat C & D bikes that have had a claim against them,I am regularly looking at bikes for sale and I've not seen another bike with as many cat C & D insurance claims against them so maybe this is why your insurance isn't cheap.

Offline triplesapper

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Ducati Supersport S
  • City / Town: Welshpool
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »
Its also to do with the availability of the parts needed to repair the bike and the price of them.
Bikes I've owned, Yamaha FS1E, Suzuki 250 X7, Honda CBR 600 F, Kawasaki ZX-6R, Suzuki GSXR 600 K6, K7 and K8. STR 14

Offline AndyW

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »
More on the ridiculous quotes subject. My insurer has told me it will cost 100 more if I renew automatically rather than go to them through the comparison website. Another common problem that just baffles me.

Online redstr13

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 13str
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »
having the same prob with devitt. renewal is 30 more than comparison site quote. makes no sense whatsoever. 
after a half hour phone conversation the agent was just as baffled and told me to do it online. couldn't get off the phone quick enough.😂

Offline vayduh

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: STR 2013>
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »
Which comparison site did you use out of interest?

I have to renew in a few days...

Online redstr13

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 13str
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 10:29:37 PM »
confused. i tried mcn as well and they are identical. 
the whole business of getting insured is a pain in the proverbials .
good luck sorting yours.

Offline AndyW

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 10:58:33 PM »
I used comparethemarket and gocompare.

We are looking to move imminently and I have just noticed that having a garage knocks it down from 550 to 250! Need to move within the month!

Offline tgsm7

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: None now
  • City / Town: Maidstone
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 07:32:26 PM »

Just had this through from a Carole Nash quote. 2008 ST, 4yr NCB, alarm and disc lock blah blah, kept on drive.....

Recent Posts/Topics