Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaning/Body Position  (Read 4117 times)

Offline karot9100

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R '14
  • City / Town: kortrijk
Leaning/Body Position
« on: August 05, 2017, 03:48:24 PM »
Hi there!

So, 2 weeks ago I went to my first track day with my 2014 STR. It was awesome! To bad the weather wasn't all that good.

Anyways, in one corner I hit the floor with the tip of my boot. Only happened twice to me that day. Never touched the ground with my knee sliders yet. So i thought, i'm not hanging off the bike enough i guess. So today i went out to certain places in my area and started practicing a little bit, taking it easy. Focusing on how i'm leaning and stuff, not pushing the speed. And suddenly i hit the top of my boot again! Now i was certain that i was leaning off pretty well! For what i understand atleast.

Now I'm wondering, what am I doing wrong?! I would like to do everything as correct as possible to minimize crashes etc.

The advice I have been given now are that when hanging off try to put 1 butt cheek off the seat and the other one on it, make sure your outside leg is locked on the tank (also while switching from left to right etc) and when leaning off try to bite your inside hand so your upper body/head is in a kind of correct position. Also keep your head level with the road.

Do you guys have examples or pictures on how someone on a Street Triple R is hanging and leaning over? Or some pointers on what to keep in mind?

Thanks in advance!

Offline punyXpress

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR
  • City / Town: Pickering
Re: Leaning/Body Position
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »
Hi Karot
Do you have the ball of your feet on the pegs?

Offline karot9100

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
Yes I do.

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
Check your rear tyre and see how much tyre edge you have left, if there's nothing left your body position is wrong, if there's still a safe margin your foot position is wrong and touching far too early. Ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs rather than the mid foot.

When I knee down I have a chicken / safety strip about half a little up to a little finger width.

Offline karot9100

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
No chicken strips left, thats one of the reasons for focusing more on BP right now. If I put my leg out more than I already do it just feels unnatural. I actually came across a picture right now and the first rider in the picture is tilting his foot more than the second rider. Maybe that is somthing that should be done on a naked bike?

Any and all tips are welcome :D

Offline exuptoy

• Street Triple God
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
Here's my foot position, on the ball of my foot but on the edge of the peg. This allows your knee to be in a more natural place for knee down so you get your leg in the right position. Same as the guy in your pic.

Chaos, panic, destruction.........my work here is done.

Offline exuptoy

• Street Triple God
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 05:11:40 PM »
Also a lot of guys tend to twist their body as they don't move their torso across with their butt.
Chaos, panic, destruction.........my work here is done.

Offline Mart62

• Ex Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
I have to get my head down along side the clocks .
If I don't im a twisted mess and the next day I can't move.
The biggest thing that helped me.was getting a good grip on the tank with the gripper pads.

Offline karot9100

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 07:28:14 PM »
Alright thanks! Next time I give it a blast i will try to put the ball on the edge of the peg and see how that goes. Maybe because of that my unnatural position will become natural! Ill try and watch if my body twists or not.

In already have stomp grip or somthing because when i commute i dont wear motorcycle pants and those slide alot when i brake

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONE E1003 met Tapatalk

Offline jpmiller

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple RS
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 11:11:48 PM »
Some good advice given,
I'd add a reminder, moving your body off the bike alters the centre of gravity, allowing the bike to be more upright in a bend giving more grip thus allowing you to corner faster and safer.
Scraping your pegs/boots first, generally means you are leaning the bike over further than it should actually go.
Also (and as i'm a fat b:stard) if you are a bit heavy then your bike will be lower and you can scrape pegs a bit more easily. Good relaxed body position is key.
Just my thoughts

John

Recent Posts/Topics