Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trackday dB limits  (Read 424 times)

Offline ruthlessammo

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: London
Trackday dB limits
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »
Im about to book my first track day for sometime in the near future (Spring seems to likely for novice riders) But if anyone knows of beginner ones over the winter let me know.. However, I do have two questions that I know wont be the first time they have been asked. Firstly what is it that I have to do to prep the bike before I show up? Also I'm worried my exhaust might be too loud. I own a 2013 Street triple with LeoVince slip on with the baffle removed. Is this going to be too loud? Thanks in advanced. Im super excited and cant wait till I hit the track!

Online Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: Trackday dB limits
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:46:44 PM »
Track days are ace and addictive. Most tracks now have a 102db limit but they vary on how strictly they are policed. Put the baffle in the can or it WILL fail the test. I ran my 675R with  scorpion can and it JUST passed with the baffle in!

Prep for day is make sure the bike is in good nick, it's going to work much harder than on the road so - Good tyre tread, plenty of brake pad material left, recently serviced, oil up to top level (not over). Chain and sprockets in good nick and properly adjusted and lubed. You need one piece or zip together (full zip) two pieced leathers, ACU Gold Helmet, good gloves and boots. A back protector is recommended. Some tracks need to see your licence so take it with you.

HAVE FUN  :002:

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
I agree with the above. Also take a tyre pressure gauge (and pump?) with you, if you are riding there and back. It is generally a good idea to lower the pressures a few psi to help warm the tyres for better grip and account for that warmth. It's been a long time since I did one but we were also told to remove/fold in/cover the mirrors and tape up the headlights - not sure if that's still the rule - but if it is then you'd better have the right Allen key and some gaffer tape.

Get petrol just before you arrive - some tracks don't have any on site, and if they do it's top dollar.

Prep yourself too - good night's kip and a decent breakfast. At the end, stop before you get really tired (you will) and remember that you still have to get home. Readjust your mental speedo as well - after giving it the berries all day, riding home at legal speeds might feel like snails pace until you readjust.

Some people tape up their number plate while on circuit. I think this is because they're worried that their insurance company might find out they were on track - unlikely to be covered - I think it's probably a bit futile but something to consider.

If it rains, you'll probably have the track to yourself but that's the ideal time to gain confidence in the wet. Tracks are grippier than the road and you don't need racing wets unless you're racing, sports touring tyres are fine.

----
Panto season again. I'm behind you! *voom* Oh no I'm not!

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline Ali-bear

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
Track days vary. Some are aimed at novices and come with instructors, at the other end of the scale you may be rubbing shoulders with racers preparing their machines. But they group by experience and speed. If you find you're in the wrong group you can be moved to a faster or slower one.
If there is a noise limit or any other technical restriction they will let you know before booking and you should expect it to be enforced.
Last one I did at Castle Combe every bike was noise tested. They have strict limits for weekday events there and the organizers and track owners are up against local residents who just want the track shut down, so its in their interest to keep everything within the agreed limits.

Recent Posts/Topics