Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Turns at slow speed  (Read 1546 times)

Online Mart62

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Matt Silver 765 RS
  • City / Town: WITHAM
Re: Turns at slow speed
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 05:38:05 PM »
I'm a saint  :007: and regular Powder check my bikes
2>4

Offline Ricardo_oboe

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 S
  • City / Town: So Paulo
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 11:20:11 PM »
Yes John765, I think the smaller bikes Ive tried was too difficult to make a corner, so now with the 765 It feels a bit strange.
I bought already the book Twist of the wrist, and I will find a big empty place to practice some exercises, specially at low speeds. I cant make yet a U-turn for exemple.

The tyres pressure I will check as soon as it stops raining, but I think there is nothing wrong with them once the bike is brand new (1 month). Should I follow the manufacture specifications for pressure? Or maybe a bit less for better grip?

Looking forward to ride her again and try all tips!
Thanks a lot

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:22:11 PM by Ricardo_oboe »

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 11:29:00 PM »
Solo riding, I would drop the rear pressure to about 38 P.S.I.  IMO.  Front should be as the book....34 P.S.I.   I think... :031:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline Thepuma

• Street Triple Pro
  • City / Town: SWADLINCOTE
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 07:25:12 AM »
I think it's to do with weight....my previous bike was a lot heavier and felt more grounded in the corners....the 765 is a light bike and doesn't have the natural weight to push it over quite as much, so it feels like it's harder work.

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
Interesting point. However note that the OP is reporting the opposite. He feels that his 765S falls into corners much easier than other bikes he's used to. The Ducati Scrambler he said handled more predictably and linearly with a gradual turn in rather than the sportier "flop on its ear" that he felt with the 765. That's why my first thought was tyre profile. Of course, neither is better than the other, it's down to preference. A skilled fast rider or racer has no confidence issues and wants the bike to turn in as if by telepathy. I for one prefer to feel like I know exactly where it's going degree by degree, it gives me more confidence than when you turn in and the bike seems to fall out from underneath. Whichever suits the rider is the best for that person, and a lot of it can be dialled in by choosing tyres that make you feel good. Hence why tyre threads are always so contentious and futile - one opinion for every rider!

----
2009 Street Triple 675R - future classic!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:34:01 AM by hotmetal »
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline John765

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 765 S street triple
  • City / Town: Bury
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
Tyre pressure on mine is about 38psi rear (2.5ish bar) same as Tomspurs. I am light (140lbs) and do mainly solo riding. I just have it a fraction under manufacturers recommended pressure for front. The recommended rear of 42psi is too high for solo riding unless you are a heavy person or carry a pillion passenger.
Hope this helps.

Online Mart62

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Matt Silver 765 RS
  • City / Town: WITHAM
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 11:50:10 AM »
I'm with you on tyre pressures.
But it still managed to turn on a 6p .
Ok going from super corsas to the Avon XM 3D did dull the way it would turn in . I am very hard on the front tyre on this and the Daytona.
I have a bad habit of going too deep into turns then drop it in .
It does kill the edges of any tyre's I use.
And probably not what your should be doing and when I have done assesment rides get noted for it.
That is why the Tiger 800 don't gell with me and why I have a street triple.
2>4

Offline Ricardo_oboe

• Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 12:39:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by hotmetal [+]
Interesting point. However note that the OP is reporting the opposite. He feels that his 765S falls into corners much easier than other bikes he's used to. The Ducati Scrambler he said handled more predictably and linearly with a gradual turn in rather than the sportier "flop on its ear" that he felt with the 765. That's why my first thought was tyre profile. Of course, neither is better than the other, it's down to preference. A skilled fast rider or racer has no confidence issues and wants the bike to turn in as if by telepathy. I for one prefer to feel like I know exactly where it's going degree by degree, it gives me more confidence than when you turn in and the bike seems to fall out from underneath. Whichever suits the rider is the best for that person, and a lot of it can be dialled in by choosing tyres that make you feel good. Hence why tyre threads are always so contentious and futile - one opinion for every rider!

----

:461: exactly hotmetal.
Unfortunately its hard to play with different tyre profiles having just one bike. Expensive and too much work. But I think if I drop the tyre pressure a bit, It will get a different profile and can give me more natural turn in and more confidence.

Today is a sunny day in So Paulo (at least right now!), I will drop the pressure and post here what happens.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:41:56 PM by Ricardo_oboe »

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »
Don't overdo it! Soft tyres overheat quickly which is ok up to a point but at sustained high speeds will reduce safety as well as tyre life. Maybe just down to 37psi on the back and 33 front. Going much softer might be undesirable. Maybe just consider a different tyre that you're familiar with when it comes to the time for new tyres.

----

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline Ricardo_oboe

• Topic Author
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 10:20:30 PM »
Hello guys!

I just checked the tyre pressure and  :005:
Front 21 and rear 33 PSI. Cant believe!
I just put 33/38 and the bike became, lets say 20% better! Still with the superbike felling but more intuitive. Can be just my brain, I dont know.
I just start making some experiences with body position and got more what the bike needs to stay under control.

Time to practice and improve my skills  :305:

Thanks

Recent Posts/Topics