Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 R Low model suspension and seat.  (Read 1157 times)

Offline InitialKev86

• Topic Author
2018 R Low model suspension and seat.
« on: April 18, 2018, 06:39:29 AM »
So I'm interested in getting a Street Triple but the problem I have is that I'm pretty short. My in seam is 28 inches so the "low" seat height of 795mm (31.3 imches) on the "Low" model is still too tall for me. Add to that I'm only a 115 lbs (52 kgs without gear) so the suspension doesn't even seem to compress with me on it. I sat on the bike at the dealer and I can't even confidently stand it up meaning I can't even tip toe both feet.

Now my question is how much would adjusting the preload lower the bike from the factory setting?

I want to avoid using a lowering link because that changes the geometry and I would prefer not to do that.

I know I definitely would need a softer spring to achieve the proper sag for my weight so what would be a recommended spring weight? Does a spring that soft even exist?? lol

Also how much foam can I shave off from the low model seat before comfort would be compromised?

Thanks!

Offline TripleCub

• 2008 Street Triple and 1960 Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2008 Street Triple
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: 2018 R Low model suspension and seat.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:33 AM »
Hi,
If it helps I'm a short person too, inside leg 28/29, 5'6" and only weigh 120lb (mind you, in my head I'm six foot two...).
I have a 2008 Street Triple, it's factory standard, not lowered and I have no issues getting my feet down, admittedly it's not flat foot on both, more like the balls of my feet, but the bike is relatively light and I just lean it over slightly and go flat foot on one if I want to.
I think the early Street's have slightly lower seat height than the later ones, but it never feels too big for me.
Hope this helps.
Mark

Offline Mart62

• Ex Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
I have an RS and same restrictions on hight.
I have no issues with my machine.

Offline alan1961

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2010 R
  • City / Town: Witney
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
Bit of practice and height needn't be a problem  :001:
(Really NOT taking the mickey....I am short too)

Offline WillyLee

• Street Triple Pro
  • Ride just got more fun !!
  • Bike: STR
  • City / Town: ASIA
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:48:40 AM »
Once you get used to the 'scary' height it'll be fun. Only downside is you're unable to push the bike as and when you want.
Never a boring ride with STR

Offline bacon

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street triple R 2013
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »
So I'm 5ft 6. I have a 28.5" to 29" inseam I believe

I test rode the street triple R low you are considering. The balls of both feet were comfortably on the floor.  So your inside leg must be much shorter than 28?

Either way, I recently bought some ECW British Military boots, goretex lined and have a really thick sole.  On my mt09 I can almost get the balls of my feet down, they literally add around 15mm or more at the toe, and a good inch at the heal.

Try some thicker soled boots is my advice, my next idea is to buy some enduro style boots, they generally have thick soles, most importantly at the toe.  Plus they will allow more feel for a gear change than the milary boots I have.  If you want a link to what I bought I'll go get you one.  I can reccomend them.

58 in near new condition.

Edit: I no longer own my 2013 street R, I was on tip toes with that bike, but it was never too tall for me. I'm quite comfortable with one foot down
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:22:55 PM by bacon »

Offline Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
I am 5' 2" and wear size 3 boots, so I don't even have a long foot to point at the ground. I couldn't get the 765 low off the side stand and anyway, they come in boring colours and although it was a wonderful bike to ride it just didn't seem so much fun as my 2011. I can't be doing with all the electrickery either. I don't understand most of it so I'd never be changing any settings.
 I decided to stick with what I already had. It's lowered on Lust lowering links and has the CBR 600 shock on it. Previously it was lowered with a Triumph short spring and the handling wasn't nearly as good as it is now. I can get most of both feet down.

Maybe have a look at some second hand bikes. You can still be a shorty and have fun.

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »
There are some boots called Frey Daytona M-stars. They're essentially the Road Star touring boot so not exactly Power Ranger style, they look like most touring boots BUT the M Star has a cork insole that makes you an inch or so taller at the heel and half an inch at the ball of the foot. That can make the difference when it comes to confidence. They're flipping expensive mind. But they will last you forever,(YMMV), are very comfortable even walking around, waterproof, I had a pair that lasted maybe 8-10 years or 100,000 miles of all season use. Bought another pair.

Edit: here's a review. I agree with most of the comments. You can get them cheaper than 400 though.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/98183
_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:05:29 PM by hotmetal »
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline InitialKev86

• Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
I wear a pair of work boots that have a 1.5 inch heel and 3/4 inch toe.  :001:

Offline Stewarty

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: STRX
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 02:09:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by InitialKev86 [+]
I wear a pair of work boots that have a 1.5 inch heel and 3/4 inch toe.  :001:

:005:

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat