Poll

Who provides the best UK track day package?

No Limits
3 (42.9%)
MSV
3 (42.9%)
James Whitham Track Training
1 (14.3%)
Focused Events
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Track Day Operators  (Read 450 times)

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '14 STR
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Track Day Operators
« on: July 11, 2018, 02:32:18 PM »
Interested to see how you folks rate the various track day operators in the UK. I've included NL, MSV, FE and JW and put "other" to cover any I've missed and the tracks that offer direct bookings like Darley Moor.

It would also be good to hear about your great and not so great track day experiences in relation to the operators.

Offline kam

• Street Triple Master
  • Success is a journey, not a destination. . .
  • Bike: GSXR 1000
  • City / Town: Surrey
Re: Track Day Operators
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
It;s quite a subjective question this one. I've had good and bad experiences with FE, NL and MSV over the years, but that's not to say I wouldn't or don't use them again. There are lots of factors I've found over the years that contribute to bad experiences, sometimes these are not in the TDO's control.

That said, some prefer one TDO over the others, but I like to mix it up as they all offer different dates at differents tracks (even more so in the last couple of years) and I just book what works out best for me.

On a personal note, after doing mainly euro events over the last few years more so than UK days, I found week day events to be marginally better than weekend events, just down to the type of rider that attended events organised at different times of the week. Not sure if that's still the case, but started actively not booking weekend days due to the weekend warrior Rossi types who turned up and turned things into a red flag fest!

Offline JonB

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple 765
  • City / Town: South Coast
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
I'd like to learn how to improve my cornering and gain confidence on the wee beastie that is the 765 RS.

I'm a bit intimidated by track days to be honest as I reckon they are populated with loony riders trying to get their knees down. True, or false?

Anyway would a beginner's track day be a good place to learn to improve my cornering technique?
2018 Street Triple 765 RS

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
Hi Kam, yeah it is a highly subjective question. I've ridden with NL, MSV and JW but not yet with FE, always in the UK. I've noticed that if there is a race on at that circuit the following weekend lots of competitors show up. Of course there's nowt wrong with that particularly but some operators allow them to ride in any group e.g. if fast and inter are fully booked the racers book in to novice/lower.

Of the track days I've done so far one operator is beginning to stand out for being a bit more casual on safety and correct groupings and that same operator seems to generate more red flags than the others. They also seem to run more riders than other operators making the track congested at times and producing the inevitable red flags.

Only done about 10 though so its a bit early to be drawing conclusions.

Offline JulesW

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by JonB [+]
I'd like to learn how to improve my cornering and gain confidence on the wee beastie that is the 765 RS.

I'm a bit intimidated by track days to be honest as I reckon they are populated with loony riders trying to get their knees down. True, or false?

Anyway would a beginner's track day be a good place to learn to improve my cornering technique?

Hi Jon,

MSV do "Novice only" track days at Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Oulton Park, Cadwell Park and Bedford Aerodrome.

James Whitham Track Training run training days at Croft, Mallory and Anglesey.

I've done both of the events mentioned above and both are really good. The JW events are particularly good in that they only allow 20 riders + instructors on track at any one time and the instructors work with small groups of riders all day.

I was somewhat anxious for my first one (a JW track training event at Anglesey). Any concerns soon evaporated after the first session and I was left intoxicated with adrenaline and excitement at being able to go as fast as I wanted without any of the hazards associated with faster riding on the road.

Recent Posts/Topics