Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adjusting 765RS for comfort  (Read 1233 times)

Offline JonB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 765
  • City / Town: South Coast
Adjusting 765RS for comfort
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
I need some advice.

I've set my RS to the Triumph-recommended "comfort" settings (compression / rebound at front and rear) but it still feels really harsh on the bumpy Sussex roads. Maybe my saddle is too new and will break in. Maybe the same is true of the shock absorbers. But it's really uncomfortable.

I have not touched the preload settings yet.. on the basis that (at the rear at least) the setting is the same for all modes.

Anyway, I need to get some miles done to run it in. So far it's been murder, with the saddle tilted forwards pushing my nuts hard against the tank at every opportunity. I'm sick of it! The demo bike (another RS) was nothing like as rough.

So how can I give it a proper plush ride? I'm not concerned about balls out handling as I do not ride it like I'm on a race track.

Thanks
JonB
2018 Street Triple 765 RS

Offline gosling 1

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Danbury
Re: Adjusting 765RS for comfort
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
Seems strange that the demo bike was so different than yours as it was also a RS. Is this the dealership you got the bike from? Even if it is not, maybe that dealer can tell you the damping settings they are using on that bike. I got my '14 675 STR used with 2500 miles on it and it was a bit harsh too, (especially compared to my Tiger). It was set at the standard settings, I went a couple clicks softer than the comfort settings and seems to be much better or I'm just getting used to it.  :002: Does Triumph sell a high comfort seat for the 765's? If so , it may have a flatter profile that does not angle toward the tank.

Setting the proper sag would be a good idea too, what is your weight? If the sag is significantly too little, the harshness may be hard to dial out.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:05:09 PM by gosling 1 »
2014 Street Triple R
2008 Tiger 1050
2011 Suzuki DR-Z400S

Offline JonB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 765
  • City / Town: South Coast
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
Well, yes - I do wonder what the settings are on that demo - it is the same dealer I bought mine from - but I doubt they will try it to find out.

There's no comfort seat for the 765 yet but I expect if there was it would be very expensive.

I might try softening mine some more. My previous bike was a 2012 CBR600F and that was like riding on a feather pillow by comparison (yet it still handled well). I don't know why as I never tried to adjust its suspension settings. In fact, this is the first time I've felt the need to alter the suspension on a new bike, all the others were fine with standard settings (and that includes the TT600 I used to have).

Hmm, weight. Well, about 15 stone (yes, pies and beer are my weaknesses) or 95Kg. I have not tried to set the sag as I don't have a ring spanner.

2018 Street Triple 765 RS

Offline MrGman

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street RS 'tona 675r
  • City / Town: Sussex
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 04:44:57 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more on this, on the standard setting i found the bike almost unrideable, I've adjusted the suspension as much as i can and it's still quite harsh, I think for me i need new springs for the road ideally.

I am beginning to think the R would have probably been a better bet for road riding but i'm too much of a tart  :008:

Online James13

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 765rs
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 07:29:35 PM »
They say the rs is set for fast road and track which in my opinion is not correct ,they also say the rear shock preload should not be adjusted ,I changed the rear spring on mine to my weight 16 stone but this was for track use,and it did not work as  I was after good tyre wear in fast group ,my guess is there is not enough adjustment in compression,and there is no high speed and low speed compression adjusters as you would find on an expensive shock ,altering just preload will not give you that plush feel you are after that is found in your shock internals if you have a great rear shock which this bike does not have ,a brilliant shock should have the ability to set it to road for any rider and also to set it to a good pace of track rider ,personally I found the rs great for road but I agree a little harsh over some roads and ok on track , except it ate tyres if pushed hard due to the poor shock

Offline Mart62

• Ex Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 07:41:37 PM »
Sag front and rear is important.
If you cannot get that right then it's springs.
I have mine two click's off comfort front  comp and 3  rebound.
Rear it is just one of comfort comp.
I managed to get sag ok with that standard spring.
The seat is not a good comparison to the 800 Tiger xrx .
But then I'll take that and used my push iron shorts.

Offline Ali-bear

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 08:45:08 PM »
It is firm compared to a typical sport tourer but guess what - it's a sports bike.
Rear preload can be adjusted on the Ohlins. I am heavy so I added four turns on the adjuster ring and its made a huge difference. Damping is set to "road" all round.  :028:

Online shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 08:50:32 PM »
Check your tyre pressures sounds like they are over inflated, I run 34 front 40 rear on my RS, I set my suspension to comfort setting for the first 500 mile but as the miles went on I started to firm up the suspension,once I had 1500 miles the suspension was softer. At 2700 miles I changed the tyres to Bridgestone S21s and this has made the biggest difference to the suspension,I couldnt believe the difference in ride quality after replacing those shite Pirelli tyres,my setting now at rear are 1 click back from standard and front around half - three quarter turns back, start at the beginning with tyre pressure & if your flush put some s21s on.

Offline MrGman

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street RS 'tona 675r
  • City / Town: Sussex
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:38:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by shaun [+]
Check your tyre pressures sounds like they are over inflated, I run 34 front 40 rear on my RS, I set my suspension to comfort setting for the first 500 mile but as the miles went on I started to firm up the suspension,once I had 1500 miles the suspension was softer. At 2700 miles I changed the tyres to Bridgestone S21s and this has made the biggest difference to the suspension,I couldnt believe the difference in ride quality after replacing those shite Pirelli tyres,my setting now at rear are 1 click back from standard and front around half - three quarter turns back, start at the beginning with tyre pressure & if your flush put some s21s on.

I'm running 32/34 and it's made no difference, not that i'd expect it to to be honest. in my opinion they are sprung quite heavily for road use.

Shite pirellis? In what way?

Online shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:55:42 PM »
They are wooden in feel,why are you running your tyres so low? Blow them up for road riding,are you 16 stone without your riding gear?  I am only 12.10 without riding gear and my suspension Works well  on Yorkshires bumpy roads but also remember the street triple is short and light without lots of suspension travel but with the right set up & tyres its pretty good on bumpy roads,you will also find when you can ride the bike faster with the correct set up it takes bumps better.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat