Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Indicator/Flasher relay speed issue  (Read 149 times)

Offline grehus

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2010 Street Triple R
LED Indicator/Flasher relay speed issue
« on: September 22, 2018, 01:16:45 AM »
I recently had some oil issues with my 2010 Street Triple R that have since been resolved, but while fixing that I replaced my bulb indicators with 4 identical LED indicators and a genuine triumph LED flasher relay.

I now get weird speeds when I indicate - sometimes it's the regular speed and sometimes it's fast. It's not side specific, and can change speeds even during the one ride. All indicators light up when powered.

I'm thinking it's the relay but wanted to get some opinions for going to the effort of replacing it.

Online morebeanz

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Guildford
Re: LED Indicator/Flasher relay speed issue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »
The speed is set by the resistance in the circuit, so my first check would be to see if you have a loose or otherwise dodgy connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't just count beans, I also understand the commercial significance of beans!

Offline darich

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2016 ST3
  • City / Town: Near Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
If it's intermittent like that then it does sound like a loose connection. And if it's both sides it's not likely to be the indicators themselves.

Offline bucksfizz

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '09 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Sparkford (nearest)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 11:08:41 AM »
Incandescent indicators work using resistance, which is why the flashing rate increases when one bulb blows.
However, the OP has fitted LED indicators and a LED relay, which works using a timer.
I'd suspect the relay myself.
I suggest removing the relay, and testing it by wiring it up to a battery and a single LED bulb. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 11:10:16 AM by bucksfizz »

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 12:12:37 PM »
I'd say relay . . The flash rate should be independent of the load. You can get led relays very cheap on the usual websites, 2 or 3 pin.

Recent Posts/Topics