Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2011 Street Triple Bar End Mirror - Bar Insert removal?  (Read 289 times)

Offline anaraith

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 2011
  • City / Town: Wellington
2011 Street Triple Bar End Mirror - Bar Insert removal?
« on: October 09, 2018, 04:02:49 AM »
Hi All

I've recently picked up a 2011 Street Triple. Absolutely loving it but would like to replace to stock mirrors with some bar end mirrors.

I've unscrewed the cap on my handlebars to have a look at what is inside and found the insert sits in a way that there is very little room. The mirrors I was looking at getting I believe will need this space to be installed into. I have searched over a series of forums and it looks like over the years Triumph have installed different inserts and there are different techniques to getting them out. My inserts appear to be non-threaded and there are no holes on the outer of the bars to push into to remove the insert like I have seen in other threads. Does anyone have a link or instructions on how to remove my particular ones? Picture attached to show exactly what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance :)

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
Re: 2011 Street Triple Bar End Mirror - Bar Insert removal?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:35:02 AM »
I ended up drilling mine out and it was a PITA. Thinking about it the internal thread you could try screwing a long bolt in it vice grips on end and seeing if you can tap the grips to pull the pressed insert. 
Then reach for the drill.

I fitted handguards which made the bike subtly wider and were too small to be much good.  I clipped a wing mirror and thought 'screw-this' and took them off.  Bar end mirrors would be silly wider I'd think.

Offline anaraith

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 2011
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »
Do you remember what was holding the inserts in? I was hoping to go the non-destructive route but at this stage that isn't looking likely.

Offline JONO 67

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 12 str
  • City / Town: Co Durham
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »
Get some bar ends the same diameter as the bars , bolt them into the existing insert , then attach your mirrors to them .

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 01:12:31 AM »
I just remember it being a faff as there was a step which made it hard to get the split insert of the guards  to grab.  Maybe the Magura bars are different on my 11 STR.

Online fubar69

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: street triple
  • City / Town: Bordon
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 09:30:17 PM »
I had all sorts of issues when I was buggering about with fitting bar ends after work. Ended up getting some renthals as I was in a rush and too eager to fit it all.
Took the standard bars apart and they are tac welded inside and get absolutely battered trying to remove.
30, renthals and some new inserts with the correct diameter saves a lot of grief.
Fun stuff = Zxr400, Daytona 675, Striple 675, Speed 1050, Striple 675 (bought it back and keeper),
Work mules = Versys 650, Kawasaki er6f, Suzuki gsx1250fa, Kawasaki z1000sx

Online Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 10:21:45 PM »
The Triumph bar end mirrors go straight in. If you did want to remove the insert, I think someone once said that they thought it was "loctited" in, which would mean you would have to remove the throttle and grip etc and then use a soldering iron on the insert by sticking it into the threaded hole and wait a while until the insert got up to 159c odd to destroy the bond....then hook it out by screwing in a 5mm (older models) or 6mm bolt.... :028:   
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline GypseysWhippet

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2011 Striple R
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »
I had the same issue. Ended up drilling both inserts out so now I can fit any bar ends or mirrors. They are threaded in and like someone said either loctite or welded in place. Took my time, progressively bigger bits until I was left with metal I could scrape out.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat