Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Painting aftermarket fibreglass seat cowl and belly pan, tips?  (Read 283 times)

Offline Smitty

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Loughborough
I needed and wanted to get a replacement  for my seat cowl and belly pan for my fusion white ST, but couldn't find them on eBay and the Triumph dealer said they were now obsolete. Bugger....

So, on eBay I found a couple of suppliers who make fibreglass moulded replicas. SO I went for that, in the knowledge that I would need to have they painted to fit the colour.

What I didn't realise was that prepping and painting fibreglass is not as easy as I thought! First you need to prep the fibreglass which has a the gelcoat that needs preparing, otherwise the paint will not adhere properly. This as I discovered was a multi-step process and not as easy as it sounds.

Then you need to use primer, colour coat and gloss. This kit, isn't cheap, although cheaper than I was quoted by 8 ball painters. They wanted something like 200 just to do the seat cowl!

Anyway, I am looking for advice from anyone who has done the painting process. Cheers in advance

Smitty

Online JONO 67

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 12 str
  • City / Town: Co Durham
Re: Painting aftermarket fibreglass seat cowl and belly pan, tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
Just rattle canned my seat cowl on my previous bike , fusion white matched at Halfords . Colour was a touch lighter if I'm honest but the finish after priming with a standard white primer was fine . From what I read up on the fibreglass has to be fully cured other wise you get a reaction .

Offline Elmer J Fudd

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2017 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Kilbirnie Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
I learnt from reading the Haynes bodywork repair manual a long time ago, but things have moved on as Isocyanate paints have been banned.

You don't need to remove all the old paint, just flat down until you get an even surface, then prime. If you still have light scratches then use a filler primer which will take out all but the deepest scratches.

After primer, flat down again and wash the part thoroughly, before the main coat use pre-paint (a cleaner to remove any residue) or tack cloth (same idea).

paint in a warm, well ventilated space. I used to get plastic dust sheets and make a booth in the garage, disposing of them after each use, but probably OTT.

Rattle cans work better when warmed up, so place them in a bucket of warm water for a time (making sure not to get the nozzle wet), when rattling do it in all directions not just up and down.  Spray in overlapping coats then let dry for 24 hours before flatting again for the clearcoat, use very light grit for this and don't worry if it looks scratchy, just dull down the surface all over. prep as before and spray on the clearcoat again in light overlapping coats.

It the clearcoat get a bit lumpy or runs, again leave till full dry, then lightly sand down without going all the way through then add more light coats over. If you have graphics o lines put them on before the clearcoat and they will be encapsulated.

If all else fails take a random orbit sander to it and try again.

Have fun.

Offline Smitty

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple
  • City / Town: Loughborough
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:00:34 AM »
Thanks guys! Very helpful as always. I'd forgotten how brilliant this forum was after a 6 year hiatus!

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat