Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TFT screen upgrade coming.  (Read 1085 times)

Offline gary1966

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: daytona 675R 2014
  • City / Town: Bury St Edmunds
Re: TFT screen upgrade coming.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by doolar [+]
According to the link above pricing and availability will be announced January, until then its speculation time.

My guesstimate = between 149 and 299. Then the usual Brexit-tax for me as a Swede :)

So do we keep our screen and its up dated or is it a complete new tft dash?

Offline doolar

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: -18 RS on order
  • City / Town: Limhamn
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by gary1966 [+]
So do we keep our screen and its up dated or is it a complete new tft dash?

It's a module and a software update they add to the bike if I understand the blurb correctly: "The price for the accessory fitted Bluetooth module and dealer software installation will also be released at the same time."

So we will keep our screens, Triumph will add a module and a software update.

If Triumph thought this through when they designed the TFT in the first place, they have most of the hardware in the dash already, my guess is that the module contains basically a Bluetooth and GPS chip. But I'm only guessing...

Offline Belifant

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple RS
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »
Navigation will only work in connection with your phone, so I'm pretty it will use the phone's GPS. The module will just be a simple bluetooth connector to establish a connection between the bike and the phone.

I know that all TFT Street Triples have already the connector to plug in the bluetooth module built in the original wire harness, so they must have planned something like that from the beginning.

I'm sure the they will charge a generous amount for a piece of hardware that cost essentially 1$. Nevertheless, I'm going to get it as soon as it's released  :037:

Offline doolar

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Belifant [+]
Navigation will only work in connection with your phone, so I'm pretty it will use the phone's GPS. The module will just be a simple bluetooth connector to establish a connection between the bike and the phone.

I know that all TFT Street Triples have already the connector to plug in the bluetooth module built in the original wire harness, so they must have planned something like that from the beginning.

I'm sure the they will charge a generous amount for a piece of hardware that cost essentially 1$. Nevertheless, I'm going to get it as soon as it's released  :037:

Yes I agree - there will probably not be a GPS chip in the module. Where in the original harness did you find the connector plug?
My new RS is still at the dealers, I will be picking it up when spring arrives - so I'll ask them to fit the module as soon as they can. :)

I will take the money I planned spending on a Tomtom to get a new Gopro instead.

I'm very excited over this, thought it was a miss that Triumph didn't incorporate bluetooth from the start when they released the TFT. I tend to ride for work, and also when working (visiting customers etc), and find it very useful with sat nav in the dash, as well as the phone connectivity when riding during the work day.

I guess we may find out how the system is working when the Scrambler 1200 gets its first reviews, that bike is released with the connectivity module albeit with a different look of the dash itself.

Offline Belifant

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 08:14:49 AM »
I didn't look for the plug on my bike, but it's mentioned on several wire plans in the service manual. The wiring seems a bit conflicting to me on the different plans, but my guess is that it is at the same place as the auxiliary port, which is under the tank. On one plan, it connects straight into the same wiring, which would mean the bluetooth module would be always on, even if ignition is off.

I am very excited about this too. When it was first announced, I was afraid it will only be available for future bikes, so I'm positively surprised. My only complaint is that they should allocate a lot more space on the screen for this, especially navigation. It looks very small, not too good to read when riding. By law (at least where I'm from) you only really need the speed to be clearly visible, so Triumph could easily use half of the screen for navigation, if not more, with an option to manually remove/minimise navigation from the screen if needed.

I wonder if they will allow the app to receive additional info from the bike, would be cool to be able to see some of the information the bike collects on our phones, instead of going to the dealer to connect to the bike.

Offline doolar

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »
I didn't look for the plug on my bike, but it's mentioned on several wire plans in the service manual. The wiring seems a bit conflicting to me on the different plans, but my guess is that it is at the same place as the auxiliary port, which is under the tank. On one plan, it connects straight into the same wiring, which would mean the bluetooth module would be always on, even if ignition is off.

I am very excited about this too. When it was first announced, I was afraid it will only be available for future bikes, so I'm positively surprised. My only complaint is that they should allocate a lot more space on the screen for this, especially navigation. It looks very small, not too good to read when riding. By law (at least where I'm from) you only really need the speed to be clearly visible, so Triumph could easily use half of the screen for navigation, if not more, with an option to manually remove/minimise navigation from the screen if needed.

I wonder if they will allow the app to receive additional info from the bike, would be cool to be able to see some of the information the bike collects on our phones, instead of going to the dealer to connect to the bike.

Thanks for the explanation on the wiring plans and what you found.

I agree with the nav screen space - but maybe it will be so, we don't know for sure. I would like perhaps an added theme - "navigation theme" which use as you say more screen real estate for a proper map experience, with the speedo on overlay in a corner or something.
On the other hand - I used to have an old sat nav system in my Mercedes which only gave graphic navigation like Triumph is displaying - next turn, roundabouts etc. It was limited, but worked really well if you listened to the voice too. It was way less distracting when driving, since I only ever looked at the display when I really needed too. Maybe that's Triumphs approach, to make the dash less distracting.

Anyway, it serves the purpose of getting instructions, in combination with the phone connection, I will be able to keep my phone in my pocket instead of mounted to the bars, that's a huge win for me.

Offline Belifant

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
you are right, and even if it turns out that it is still better to mount your phone, there will be still the advantage that you can control your phone with the bike's handlebar controls. That might prove to be even more important than the screen.

Offline gary1966

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: daytona 675R 2014
  • City / Town: Bury St Edmunds
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 03:35:47 PM »
I was hoping for gps so we could get live lap times when on track that would be mega, so basically the sat nav works off your phone google maps is relayed on to your tft screen, whats the gopro that people mention.

Offline bucksfizz

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '09 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Sparkford (nearest)
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
I didn't look for the plug on my bike, but it's mentioned on several wire plans in the service manual.

Under the seat on the 2018 Tiger 800, there's an unused white connector block that just happens to have, among other pins, a 12V and a 0V pin.
Consequently, and ironically, some of us have used that connector block to power our sat navs.
It looks like we'll have to undo that - boo.
Annoyingly , Triumph doesn't provide a switched 12V power supply for accessories, unlike KTM and BMW.

Offline Belifant

• Street Triple Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 03:50:25 PM »
I was hoping for gps so we could get live lap times when on track that would be mega, so basically the sat nav works off your phone google maps is relayed on to your tft screen, whats the gopro that people mention.

That's right. Triumph could, however, implement a lap timer in their app quite easily, which would serve the purpose perfectly. Especially considering that the lap timer on the bike is broken since the last update my bike received.

In regards to gopro, it will allow you to control your gopro with the handlebar controls, and shows you stats on the TFT screen such as battery level and shooting modes.

Under the seat on the 2018 Tiger 800, there's an unused white connector block that just happens to have, among other pins, a 12V and a 0V pin.
Consequently, and ironically, some of us have used that connector block to power our sat navs.
It looks like we'll have to undo that - boo.
Annoyingly , Triumph doesn't provide a switched 12V power supply for accessories, unlike KTM and BMW.

That might be it. I think I recall from memory that I have seen an unused connector on the Street Triple under the tank on the left side. It can be fished out from under the frame.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 03:53:26 PM by Belifant »

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat