Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Speed Restrictions Set by ECU?  (Read 444 times)

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
Speed Restrictions Set by ECU?
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:43:09 AM »
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been covered in other topics, but I wanted to find out how true (or false) is it that most bikes nowadays (ours included) are speed limited by the ECU... I wanted to poke everyone's brain and find out if this is true or only an urban myth...

If it is true, I wanted to know how easy is it to remove these restrictions / limiters / limitations. Is this done with say for instance TuneECU?

Not trying to get the performance of a 1000 cc bike on the Street Triple R, just don't like to feel that I'm being restricted / limited... Bike as is, is fantastic but if there's a simple "electronic" way to remove restrictions and get even more juice, I'd say that this won't hurt.

Life's so much better on a bike!

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
Re: Speed Restrictions Set by ECU?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
No, but the modem fires up after each ride and if in wifi range will upload your top speed and coordinates to the local authority.  That's what the noise is.  Best to throw one of those silver survival blankets over the front of the bike just as you turn the keys off.  Not sure if you can turn this off.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:37:35 AM by F5 Dave »

Offline Will Morgan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:33:38 AM »
AFAIK ECU limits revs not speed. I guess the limit can be adjusted with the right technology & skill. Higher revs, more power or different gearing could each give more speed but as with all engine tuning what you win on the swings you lose on the roundabouts. I'd be cautious of losing tractability & reliability unless I was a  racer dedicated to winning at all costs & willing to deal with any consequences. Personally my first steps to going faster would be body tuning (lose weight fatboy!) and improving my riding skills (bigger cojones!).

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »
I don't think so. AFAIK only the 1300-1400 hyperbikes like Hayabusa and ZZR are electronically limited to 186mph. Theoretically you're limited by the actual engine performance and the lack of aerodynamics of an unfaired street bike. Unless you're Valentino Rossi you're more likely limited by your own ability anyway, or length of road without cameras) but if not then maybe get a GSXR1000.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 11:42:17 AM »

*Originally Posted by F5 Dave [+]
No, but the modem fires up after each ride and if in wifi range will upload your top speed and coordinates to the local authority.  That's what the noise is.
Haha brilliant! Gotta love that dial-up modem noise!

We shouldn't joke though. It won't be long before all new vehicles come with some STASI-esque telemetry crap hardwired into the ECU that will keep the Guvverment informed of your whereabouts at all times and automatically fine you for speeding. I'm not even sure this is tin foil hat territory any more

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline Stewarty

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: STRX
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
No, but the modem fires up after each ride and if in wifi range will upload your top speed and coordinates to the local authority.  That's what the noise is.  Best to throw one of those silver survival blankets over the front of the bike just as you turn the keys off.  Not sure if you can turn this off.

:001: :008:........... :305:

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 01:48:05 AM »
Cheers guys!

I was thinking of a similar case that was common with 90's and early 2000's German cars that were factory limited to 250 km/h... If this were true with the bike, than I wouldn't mind removing this alleged limitation and let the bike run free  :001: :001: :002: :002:

Cause I do agree 100% that best thing to do to go faster (and safer) is to invest in rider training, rather than getting more horsepower...

I like to do my track days when I can, as I just can't get my head around going for it on public roads. Often I get passed by blokes on the road, and can't help thinking "what a fu$*$ng tosser..." Not that I always ride within the legal speed limits, but some blokes are simply idiots, and then #### happens, and we all get the bad name (bike riders that is).

For the road, don't need anymore than what the Street Triple has to offer.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 01:49:14 AM »

Thought the bike was calling Mars, telling all the Aliens not to invade yet  :087:  :087:  :087:

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
They are already here mate.

Yeah the tune of the bike means the power is already falling off before redline.  The Daytona 675 for example has cams that allow more revs or rather produce power at higher revs than the street 675.  765 follows same rules.

ECU tune really comprises of tuning fuel air mix and ignition timing.    Currently not limited to a particular speed.

Yet. 

Learn to pull wheelies on backroads.  That will be next.

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 10:38:46 AM »
I remember the days when I could go "forever" on my back wheel. Mind you this was on a bicycle... At the same time, I also remember the many times I lost it and landed on my ass when I was still getting the hang of it.

I'd be lying if I'd say that I don't care about wheelies on the bike, but I guess I'm just too scared of trashing the bike because of this. I rather keep her straight up and leaning from side to side through the twisties 😁😁😁

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat