Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph's overseas organisation.  (Read 332 times)

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Triumph's overseas organisation.
« on: December 11, 2018, 10:32:26 AM »
A very interesting and informative read from one of THE best motorcycling journalists around (IMHO).

The story is fascinating and the details are mindblowing but what really intrigued and impressed me was a small detail in one of the phot's where there is a display of the pictorial history of Triumph in the backgorund!   The link to the past in a company which is so admirably forward looking I find quite remarkable.

https://riders.drivemag.com/features/triumph-motorcycles-thailand-factory-visit

Regards

Adie

Online redstr13

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 13str
Re: Triumph's overseas organisation.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:12:54 PM »
cheers Adie. a very interesting read indeed.
would be brilliant to be able to do a Thai  factory visit one day.
fingers crossed.

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 05:28:58 PM »
Good find!

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline Stewarty

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: STRX
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:46:19 PM »
Yes, well done Adie, enjoyable read.

Offline retsech

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple 2010
  • City / Town: Oxford
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 12:03:16 AM »
+1, really good article, thanks Adie.
Too old to die young.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »
Thanks, that was great.

It's interesting the frustration they have felt where people say 'thats not made in the UK' and so on. I've always felt that way myself. Few people seem to moan that an iPhone is made in China - it is still able to attract the kind of end users who will pay a premium for the design and user experience etc. And for so long so many bike and car manufacturers have been using brake, suspension or electrical components made other manufacturers.

What I find interesting is that in spite of this attention to detail Triumph have had some notable gremlins in the past RE stators, rectifiers, cam chains, top end lubrication and so on. I guess it shows how hard it is to get it all right, all of the time.

It's also great that they have expanded the business whilst preserving jobs here in the UK, but at the same time it's sad that the workforce and production facilities couldn't have grown here instead. I don't blame them, I'd have done exactly the same if it had been my responsibility too.

Finally, cheaper spare parts and accessories would be nice gievn the scale of what they're doing. Anyone who has bought stuff directly from China for example quickly starts to understand just how cheaply certain things can be made. Again, I understand why Triumph do it, but the price of some of the accessories offered makes my eyes water a bit. I guess that's why sometimes they have a promotion to throw in X hundred quids worth exhaust or other bits and bobs.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat