Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from Belgium East flanders  (Read 391 times)

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Hi from Belgium East flanders
« on: December 22, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »
Hi,
I am Geert, live in Belgium near Gent, and for many years I have been a true oldtimer enthusiast. I have an 1970 Opel GT and a 1980 Lotus ESPRIT S2.2. I love doing all the technical maintenance and restoring on those cars.
I  am 52 ( so oldtimer myself  :018: ), and for some time I wondered if I should buy me a motorcycle. In my younger years there was obligatory military service and I was motorcyclist for some months. After that I have driven occasionally a honda VFR 750 and a Honda VTR 1000 of my brothers in law , but that is about it, so you could call me a newbie.
In my search for the right starter bike, I had no clue. I wanted a nimble, not to heavy bike, but it should be sporty, so no chopper/cruiser and no heavy tourer to start with. I have always been a fan of race bikes, but @ 52 , that is a no go. So I went into the direction of a naked. I looked at a Yamaha MT07, started reading articles and I saw comparison tests with the Triumph Street Triple.
The moment I saw it , and started reading articles, tests ,youtube films , I knew this was the one.
Because I was not sure if riding a bike, or for that matter riding the street triple, would do it for me, I was going for a second hand. I really liked the hooligan looks of the first round lighted triples, so I was determend to search one of those. I used the common internet sites , choose some bikes to visit and the second one was the one that did it for me.
It is a 2011 phantom black street triple with all the right options and just 16800km :

SAM_1174 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

So, In 1 months time I have now done 1000km and I love it.
Such a nimble,quick,light bike, always ready to go ( no matter  high revs or low revs ) . I can drive it at ease ( beginner remember), but it really revs high.
Just one small issue, It makes me want to rev it and laugh out loud , so I just have to keep control of myself. Given my age that wont be too big a problem. And it is loud, really loud with those SC projects , but I love the sound.

greets
Geert
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:37:44 PM by gvy »

Offline vayduh

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: STR 2013>
Re: Hi from Belgium East flanders
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Brilliant introduction.

Welcome to the site.  Enjoy your time here.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:39:59 PM »
Congratulations, I'm really pleased you like the bike. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun next summer. It would be great fun in the Ardennes! (Or Luxembourg etc).

What a great place to live too!! My partner and I visit Belgium often and cycle round Ieper, Gent or Bruges (sometimes to Sluis).

Perhaps some of the members from Kent should ride over to Belgium to say hello next year   :002:

If you find the SC Projects too loud they make an extra set of baffles that go in the front of each silencer, like this. I have them fitted to mine because I found them too harsh at cruising speed (but only in my left ear for some reason!)

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »
The ardennes do have some real nice long twisty roads. I should go enjoy them next summer. I enjoyed the region around Ieper ( Ypres) on the Lotus Ypres days with my early esprit. The triumph and the lotus, they are both fantastic british machines . Not about huge power , but all about lightness ( adding lightness ) to make them quick and fun to ride.
garageshot : note , I didn't have the bar end mirrors installed yet

SAM_8074 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

And of course, everyone with the same passion is welcome to say hallo.

About the SC projects . I have the db killers in the back of the cans installed. But do you say there are additional baffles to install in the front part?

SAM_7912 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:09:29 AM by gvy »

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 10:30:02 AM »
I think the bike looks better with bar end mirrors  :002:

I have 'added' 10.5 kgs of lightness to my Street Triple   :038: (Lithium battery, SC Projects, removed pillion footpegs, Daytona 675 rearsets etc). It is quite a lot of fun.

Yes, in the photo I posted, the baffle with many small holes is the one that inserts into the front of each muffler, facing backwards. In the photo they are shown in the correct orientation, the rear baffle facing forwards, the front facing backwards (!). I hope this makes sense. I emailed SC Project directly to ask why they were so loud and they sent me the extra baffles for free. For me, they remove the painful rasp at 5k rpm, but they do not exactly make them quiet either. I am happy with them. They sound glorious inside a tunnel!

You have the best colour Esprit! I used to commute past the Lotus factory every day in the early 90s (Cambridge to Norwich) until a new road was built some distance away. It was fun!

I forgot to ask. Did the Lotus Ypres day go to the Hotel Kemmelberg? I know the owner really likes classic cars  :002:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:33:26 AM by OuzoStreet »

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
Some more photos....

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »
The two years I have done the Ypres Lotus Day, they did 't do the Kemmelberg Hotel . I don't know about the other years. Anyway, I have been there and the Lotus did too. Years ago there was a company seminar on that location and I decided to go there with the Esprit. I used the early morning to go for a quick blast  in the country. They also put me on a mountain bike that day, which was less my thing  :009: . If I was to go now, I definitely take the triple. It's beautiful over there.

Thanks for the info about the SC project. I will look into that. If I can't find the extra baffle with small wholes, I can always fabricate/weld me 2 pc out of a length of stainless steel tube.

EDIT:
I just removed one of the 2 exhaust cans and there is no extra baffle in the front. I also had a look in my workshop and I do have the exact diameter of tube available to make me those extra holed baffles. I may give it a try.

Geert
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:38:01 AM by gvy »

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »
Yes, it's a beautiful area. Hard to believe there was so much loss and suffering there, until you look a little closer and see shell holes, mines, trenches and small piles of ordnance outside every farm.

We stayed at the Hostelerie Kemmelberg hotel this year and took our bicycles (we really do stay in Belgium every year because it is so easy to get to and you guys tolerate bicycles). My partner has an electric bike but I do not. Getting up the hill was quite difficult! The Triumph would be much easier!

I suspect if you email SC Project and mention they do not conform to EU noise regs and the police are unhappy with you they will send you a pair of baffles for free  :038: I live very close to a Motorway cop so I had a strong incentive to make my GP Evos a little quieter! Of course, if making a pair for yourself is more fun and gives you an excuse to play with the bike... :002:

I like the carbon fibre end cap you have on yours. I chose stainless steel - too late to change my mind now of course!

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 04:44:41 PM »
Voila,
The two extra baffles are made and are in .
I can't really test the bike, because the weather is bad and to be honnest, I am sick for the moment and the welding, cutting, grinding today didn't exactly do any good to that.
Anyway, It still sounds OK in the garage and I will test it later on.

Greets
Geert

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »
Quick work! The only thing I ever made for mine was a new new bracket to hold the instruments, and that only inolved cutting a sheet of aluminium with a jigsaw. There is no way I could make those baffles.

(Note to self: visit Geert when you need parts made  :038:)

Get well soon  :002:

Recent Posts/Topics