Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What bike next ?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Harrycaine

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 2015
  • City / Town: Sussex
Re: What bike next ?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 05:59:15 PM »
Took the Ducati Supersport (stock not S) out today for ~2 hours

Nice bit of kit, loved the engine lumpy and torquey , instant pull, I gave up worrying much about what gear I was in, you can feel the vibes but they are not obtrusive. Definitely a sportsbike with more weight on the wrists but not enough to be a pain unless you spend a lot of time in traffic. Perhaps a little heavier than the ST and weight a bit higher I am a shorty at 5ft6" and I felt confident with low speed handling/moving. Rock stable and easy to lean into the corners more confidently than the ST (with my very limited skills) suspension firm and well controlled but a bit harsh on poor roads but there is lots of adjustment so this might be dialled out. Fairing keeps the blast off pretty well and on good roads I found myself 10-15mph higher than on the ST. Economy not wonderful 44mpg not going  too mad on busy road, more importantly light came on at 113miles, filled with 12.3l at 122 miles, supposedly 16 litre tanks so maybe 150-160 range with a smidge left.  Mirrors are pretty crap, no idea what was directly behind me and above 50mph they vibe like hell and become a guide only. Really high quality bit of kit (except mirrors) and personally I loved the Silver/Grey satin with red frame, bit pricey though.

This one will stay on my list..next week Honda CBR650R

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 10:04:32 PM »
Interesting report Harry. I'm not looking for a new bike but having had supersport 600s (100ish BHP with full fairing) I have been thinking the Ducati Supersport could be an interesting ride, especially for those of us not quite so interested in folding ourselves up to get on a bike these days! Haven't ridden one yet but I did think they looked good where most other full faired bikes are either fat "GT" things or mental track weapons aimed at 20-somethings with flash, cash, and no creaky knees and backs! I didn't know they did that grey colour, I have only seen the red one. I'm not naturally drawn to red bikes but hey it's a Ducati and it looked fantastic in red, what can I say?

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:06:29 PM by hotmetal »
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Online doggy

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: 765 RS + Monster796
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »
I was very tempted by an S which was white with red wheels , was a lovely thing but too much money .

Offline Will Morgan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »
If anyone's looking for a new and/or 2nd bike thats different to a S/triple I'd recommend one of Triumph's new Speed Twins. It might look like a boring retro but I can assure you it's not. Definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. Stonking engine & nimble handling. Ridden enthusiastically quite capable of embarrassing a few bikes with more sporting pretensions.
Lets just say I rather enjoyed the test ride   :007:

Online andymarks

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 2011
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
If anyone's looking for a new and/or 2nd bike thats different to a S/triple I'd recommend one of Triumph's new Speed Twins. It might look like a boring retro but I can assure you it's not. Definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. Stonking engine & nimble handling. Ridden enthusiastically quite capable of embarrassing a few bikes with more sporting pretensions.
Lets just say I rather enjoyed the test ride   :007:
I rode one of these a few weeks ago and loved it. If I could afford two bikes this would be my second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bel

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Carbonised STR
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 05:52:16 PM »
What about Z1000SX.

After 3 Streets. I'm looking at a Speed next. Maybe 2011 or 2010 version.

Well 1st a year or two break to go camper banking with young kid, while he's young enough to enjoy our bonding time and teenage demons hasn't taken hold yet

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:53:53 PM by Bel »
Owner of CarbonFBR, for a peek at some carbon goodness please visit www.CarbonFBR.com, FB at https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclecarbonfiber or Twitter at https://twitter.com/CarbonFBRdotcom

Offline bucksfizz

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '09 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Sparkford, Somerset
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 10:42:11 PM »
I have to agree with those who have proposed the Speed Twin.
I test rode one a few weeks ago, and it has stump-pulling torque.
(Torque gives you acceleration; horse power gives you speed.)
Open the throttle at any RPM, and it surges away on a sea of torque - intoxicating.
I'm due for an inheritance payout shortly, and my KTM 390 Duke's days are numbered...

Offline Hammer

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: streetfighter
  • City / Town: Lee on the Solent
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 09:10:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by PeterSampson [+]
If I was trading in my 675 Srtipler I'd love the Thruxton - I loved it when they loaned me one when my Stripler was in for a service.
Ditto ,i ended up buying MV stradale end of last year ,engine similar to street triple 800cc 115hp and a triple,but yes lack of dealer will put some off ,but Stradale are cheap

Online andymarks

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 2011
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 09:22:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I have to agree with those who have proposed the Speed Twin.
I test rode one a few weeks ago, and it has stump-pulling torque.
(Torque gives you acceleration; horse power gives you speed.)
Open the throttle at any RPM, and it surges away on a sea of torque - intoxicating.
I'm due for an inheritance payout shortly, and my KTM 390 Duke's days are numbered...
Agreed. I found I had just as much fun on this as I do on my speed rs. If only money was no object Id have both....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online doggy

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: 765 RS + Monster796
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 10:14:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hammer [+]
Ditto ,i ended up buying MV stradale end of last year ,engine similar to street triple 800cc 115hp and a triple,but yes lack of dealer will put some off ,but Stradale are cheap

A rare sight on our roads . I  had a 800 brutale for four years, superb bike and a faultless ownership

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat