Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dash cam for Street Triple  (Read 1085 times)

Offline AlanFord001

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple RX
  • City / Town: Worthing
Dash cam for Street Triple
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »
My wife bought me a camera similar to a gopro and I'm looking for the best place and way to fix it. Preference is helmet mounted so it films what I look at but I'm concerned about the wind resistance at speed. Seen some riders with the camer on top like a teletubby but can't image that would be great at 70mph+. Any ideas, experience or suggestions?   

Offline andymarks

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 2011
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
Re: Dash cam for Street Triple
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 05:19:58 PM »
If you chin mount it you dont get wind issues. I have my go pro on my handlebars but as you say you only get the view ahead.

A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: ST 675 Gold Edition
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:25:42 PM »
'chin mount' in my opinion is the best way to do this, it doesnt hang off the side of the helmet, and you get a good view of where you look, (shame i dont have mine fitted at the moment, to show you) but what you need are a few of the gopro extension arms, similar to this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-GoPro-Helmet-Side-Mount-Set-Accessory-Kit-Pivot-Arm-Flat-Curved-Adhesive/401662143504?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190705%26meid%3Da4d09bda186b4e269e17bfd47da05f81%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D401662143504&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

will look something like this when done:

Watch my Scotland Trip here on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGUEQClJow

Offline AlanFord001

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »
Cool, thanks. It came with a range of mounts and extension mount but none really suitable for motorcycle helmets. Will look into the chin mount attachments.

Offline Ben_M

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Beds
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »

Offline AlanFord001

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 09:26:32 PM »
Interesting. Never heard of sugru until now. Will take a look.

Offline PeterSampson

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 04:26:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by AlanFord001 [+]
My wife bought me a camera similar to a gopro and I'm looking for the best place and way to fix it. Preference is helmet mounted so it films what I look at but I'm concerned about the wind resistance at speed.
You should be concerned about what happened to Michael Schumacher in his skiing accident. 

He had a camera on his skiing helmet - and it is reckoned that that contributed to his serious brain injury by catching and twisting the helmet.

Offline AlanFord001

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by PeterSampson [+]
You should be concerned about what happened to Michael Schumacher in his skiing accident. 

He had a camera on his skiing helmet - and it is reckoned that that contributed to his serious brain injury by catching and twisting the helmet.

I wasn't aware that was what caused his injury. Thought he'd hit a rock which missed his helmet so worth bearing in mind, thanks.

Offline TheFrog

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2017 RS
  • City / Town: Lisbon
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by PeterSampson [+]

This is what's putting me off fitting a helmet cam. Helmets are spherical for a reason; I don't fancy having my neck broken by a camera snagging on something should I fall.

Offline Chrisj

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 57 street triple
  • City / Town: dartford
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
I have a session 4 with ecstapro (extended battery) chin mounted on a bell racestar. I dont notice any wind resistance. I use a umotos mount. I keep a battery bank in my pocket for long journeys so i can charge it for the return trip if ive stopped of somewhere. (Battery life is the crux)

This was in the paper re the schumacher accident.

But now investigators believe that they may have found a reason for the seriousness of the crash. They think that his helmet camera could have actually worsened the blown, and caused the helmet to shatter into pieces.

I guess skiing helmets are not as strong(never used one)

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat