Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Off to Spain  (Read 356 times)

Offline andymarks

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: STR 2011
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
Off to Spain
« on: January 07, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to Alicante in May this year, doing 4 days riding to get there, 5 days lazing round the pool and 4 days back.

I'm after any advice on routes I can get, looking at Google maps there's several routes.  Ideally we want one route down and a different route back so we can see more.  Obviously we don't want motorways but happy to do some if needs must.

For the route down I was thinking to go via Toulouse and across the Pyrenees on the east side, then coming back Pyrenees on the west side via Bordeaux.  I reckon 300 - 350 miles a day travelling.

Anyone got any advice or travelled these (or any other) routes down that way?
We will need places to stay for the three nights there and back, nothing too expensive but we won't be taking camping gear (I'm too old for all that!)

Thanks in advance.
Andy.

Offline Ali-bear

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
Re: Off to Spain
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:01:14 PM »
Booking dot com for hotels.
Michelin for maps.
You don't mention how you intend to cross the watery bit? Missing out the motorway slog to/from Dover/Calais is recommended, but I see you are already in Ramsgate so ...
The plains of Spain can very uncomfortably hot.

Offline andymarks

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: STR 2011
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 03:30:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ali-bear [+]
Booking dot com for hotels.
Michelin for maps.
You don't mention how you intend to cross the watery bit? Missing out the motorway slog to/from Dover/Calais is recommended, but I see you are already in Ramsgate so ...
The plains of Spain can very uncomfortably hot.
Thanks, we are 30 miles from the tunnel so will use that like we usually do when we head to northern france.

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:17:36 PM »
I went on the ferry to Santander, then on to Burgos via N623 simply because RiDE mag said it was a good road. Can't remember if it was or not now, as it was nearly 15 years ago now! What I do remember though was how unbearably hot it was. We made the mistake of going in August. Had I not had an undersuit I would've had to be cut out of my leathers! I bought a mesh suit after that!
We just winged it, had no problems finding accommodation on the hood (especially as we didn't care where we went so long as we got to Barcelona eventually). Rode back over the Pyrenees back roads (not the tunnel) to Andorra and up the west coast of France to Calais then home.
_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:20:38 PM by hotmetal »
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline Ali-bear

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »
There is a Brit biker-friendly place on the French side of the Pyrenees called MSL Tours (I think now its changed hands) you could plan to pass through there. They are very knowledgeable especially on the local mountain roads and can help you make further route plans.
But you're bound to enjoy the trip, and as long as you and your riding companions agree on how you want to do it, it's difficult to go far wrong. These are well trodden routes.
For me I'd rather avoid long fast motorway slogs but they are still useful for covering distance when you need to.
A satnav can be invaluable when you are trying to find, for example, a petrol station in the wilds, or a hotel you are booked into in the middle of some foreign city.
Michelin maps have a green fringe marked on roads to indicate "scenic".

Recent Posts/Topics