Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Home made ear plugs anyone?  (Read 604 times)

Offline Mase_uk

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Lifes for living - Bikes for riding
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2015
  • City / Town: Chelmsford, Essex
Home made ear plugs anyone?
« on: January 10, 2019, 02:30:41 PM »
Just see this on facebook. This may be good to make custom ear plugs. May order some from eBay. 3.99 for 100g

Anyway thought id share this potentially great find. Let me know what you think

Offline redstr13

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 13str
Re: Home made ear plugs anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 03:23:10 PM »
a link might be useful 😊🖒

Offline Mase_uk

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 04:41:48 PM »
it may well work BUT proper moulded ear plugs are filtered to take out the 'White noise' i.e. wind noise etc that you don't need but still allow you hear traffic etc that helps with riding safely.

I wouldn't but then again I've used moulded filtered ear plugs since 2005 and would change now, well to replace them obviously as ears do change. I have had 2 sets, the first from 2005 to 2015 (probably too long) and am on my second set now. All day comfy I can even wear them in bed if her indoors is snoring. OK so they aren't cheap at 55 for the first set and 80 for the current set but I think they are value for money due to the time they last and how well they work.

Offline Mase_uk

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »
I was thinking of getting the dearer molded plugs but u recently brought a Shoei GT Air helmet which seems to have blocked 80% of the noise i had before

Was really happy until i removed my baffle on the old SC projects and having to use plugs again... but now i lightly put them in hence why i thought these may work for me. May even make a little hole in them for better hearing.

this mouldy thing can be reused.. just add hot water

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »
Good topic this one. It's one of those things that once I tried I just won't go back and I can't ride without plugs...

In saying that I just use disposable plugs that you can get at any Construction OHS shop or even the hardware store. I actually work in construction and get them for free, so I can't complain... On top of that, I use them for as long as possible, not just the one ride out.

I never used "proper motorcycle plugs" but would dare say that the difference is probably not big... Especially with a full face helmet.
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:46:53 AM »
I haven't tried the 'roll your own' ones. I have had a pair of Ultimate Ears custom moulded silicone rubber plugs (just plain, no headsets fitted). I initially thought they were great, but won't bother again. They last years, but as your ears change, they become less effective. But about 20 years ago I bought a big bag of those green Howard Leight plugs (can't remember the name of the green ones, MaxLite?) Well I've still got a few of them and when my Ultimate Ears broke (leaving a small piece of rubber in my ear!!) I went back to the green disposables and they are so much quieter!
Someone convinced me to try the Ear Peace ones. They are tuneable with inserts. However they are too big for my ears so another 20 wasted.
There's a seller somewhere that lets you buy a selection pack of disposables so you can try a variety of different styles. Then when you know which ones work best for you, you can order that kind in bulk.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »
I tried something similar were you make your own from eBay and mine hurt my ears very uncomfortable,Ive since bought the ultimate ear protection ones which are filtered and are very good but expensive at over 100.

Offline morebeanz

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Guildford
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
The need for filtered or unfiltered seems to be cause for a lot of discussion around the groups that I am involved with. Some swear by the need for special (expensive), custom made filters and others are adamant that standard plugs are fine.

Personally, I use some simple silicon re-usables that block out a lot of volume, and it doesn't seem to interfere with my ability to hear traffic, sirens or anything else. The only time I occasionally wish for a different plug is if someone tries to talk to me with the helmet on, that can be tricky!

Over the years, I must have tried around twenty or thirty different plugs, and the very best are some blue disposable foam ones by a company I can't find!! There are a bugger to fit at the roadside though.
I don't just count beans, I also understand the commercial significance of beans!

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat