Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: four pot caliper conversion to a standard ST 2009 model  (Read 433 times)

Offline chinozx6r

• Topic Author
  • Bike: street triple 675
  • City / Town: Madrid
four pot caliper conversion to a standard ST 2009 model
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »
Hi guys!
I was thinking in swapping the front calipers of my non"R" 2009 ST maybe with four pot old Ducati Brembo ones or nissin from honda.......with home made machined brackets,
And my question is, has anyone from here done it? any pics or measurements of the brackets?anyone selling bracket conversion?
Any help would be much appreciated
Many thanks
Marcos

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
Re: four pot caliper conversion to a standard ST 2009 model
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:35:54 AM »
I can't really help but I would check on the insurance angle. They're not going to like DIY fabbed brake parts much (probably). You may find an insurer that doesn't worry, but it might cut down your choice of insurers (= higher premium). I only know this as I was going to replace the unimpressive calipers on my FZR with the 'blue spot' ones from the R1. Most insurers had kittens, so I never bothered in the end. Trying to tell them that improved braking performance reduced the risk of accidents didn't really wash; they deal in statistics and the known risk. That said, there are enough full on custom streetfighters around and they must get insurance from someone...

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:38:20 AM by hotmetal »
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline chinozx6r

• Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 01:38:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by hotmetal [+]
I can't really help but I would check on the insurance angle. They're not going to like DIY fabbed brake parts much (probably). You may find an insurer that doesn't worry, but it might cut down your choice of insurers (= higher premium). I only know this as I was going to replace the unimpressive calipers on my FZR with the 'blue spot' ones from the R1. Most insurers had kittens, so I never bothered in the end. Trying to tell them that improved braking performance reduced the risk of accidents didn't really wash; they deal in statistics and the known risk. That said, there are enough full on custom streetfighters around and they must get insurance from someone...

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.
Hello hotmetal thank you for the reply.we need to go for a Mahou and some tapas lol! I remember your reply from my first post ;)
 I know it can be tricky with the insurance but if you don't tell them they don't have to know.... and you in case of a problem you have be very unlucky for them to realize that the brakes are not standard. the problem it would be to pass the Spanish MOT which is call ITV

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:59:03 PM »
Why don't you just convert it to an "R"...simple and cheap and sell the bits you took of to go towards the conversion....and the bike stays a triumph model..."R"...so not a special just an R  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline chinozx6r

• Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
Why don't you just convert it to an "R"...simple and cheap and sell the bits you took of to go towards the conversion....and the bike stays a triumph model..."R"...so not a special just an R  :028:
Now you are saying that  hmmmm you are right! cos I was thinking that I can't justify the spend of a complete set of Daytona or "R" forks but I didn't count with the sale value of my standard forks  :007:

Recent Posts/Topics