Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from West Yorkshire UK  (Read 733 times)

Offline charliedelta

• Topic Author
  • City / Town: Sowerby Bridge
Hello from West Yorkshire UK
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:12:12 PM »
Hello from Sowerby Bridge,very West Yorkshire

Yet to get a bike or my license!!!

However both are in hand and hope to be riding by April.

Currently navigating the minefield that is Kit!

Soooo want a Street Triple!

charliedelta

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
Re: Hello from West Yorkshire UK
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:13:50 PM »
Welcome. Good choice of bike. Good luck with the license, and remember that getting your licence is the start of learning how to ride and survive. Experience will eventually teach you stuff you didn't know you didn't know, but better still get some 'advanced' training to make the most of your bike.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Online RedBikeAgain3

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2015 ST ABS noneR
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Hello from West Yorkshire UK
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »
Welcome charliedelta (cd for short?)

Several great decisions. Get a bike / licence - good, make the bike a Street Triple - even better, joining this forum - the best.

What generation of STriple are you thinking of?

What are your kit dilemmas? We love giving advice / opinion ( though its value is hard to gauge?)

+ 1 for doing further training

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yam DT80, Honda CB250RS, Yam XJ650, Suzuki X7, Kawa GPz500, Honda CB-1 (400), Yam FZS600 and now ... ST

Offline charliedelta

• Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 07:18:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by hotmetal [+]
Welcome. Good choice of bike. Good luck with the license, and remember that getting your licence is the start of learning how to ride and survive. Experience will eventually teach you stuff you didn't know you didn't know, but better still get some 'advanced' training to make the most of your bike.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

I have been driving for 28 years, which should give you a clue about how young (cough) I am........

VERY AWARE I know NOTHING about riding!!

When is the best time to get advanced training? shouldn't I ride a bit before doing so?

Not sure on the value of getting advanced training straight out of DAS?

CD

Offline charliedelta

• Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by RedBikeAgain3 [+]
Welcome charliedelta (cd for short?)

Several great decisions. Get a bike / licence - good, make the bike a Street Triple - even better, joining this forum - the best.

What generation of STriple are you thinking of?

What are your kit dilemmas? We love giving advice / opinion ( though its value is hard to gauge?)

+ 1 for doing further training

I *think* I have just resolved my kit dilemmas.....

Shoei GT Air with 200 of the RRP

Furygan Blast Textile Jacket

Lindstrands Trickle boots for under 100

and some Five thinsulate gloves........which I might have made the wrong choice on...

opinions welcome!

Offline retsech

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple 2010
  • City / Town: Oxford
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 08:40:27 PM »
Hi Charliedelta
Welcome to the site, to the world of Biking and Street Triples (once you get that licence under your belt).
 These are great little machines, youll have a permanent smile riding.
Shoei GT Air is a great helmet (IMO) and reviews are positive. I have not regretted investing in one. Noise reduction is good.
For the rest of the kit I dont know the items you have suggested although you might need to have more than one outfit depending on your riding - waterproof for the rain, warm for the cold days and something lighter for summer.  My first kit was some decent leathers which I could layer underneath. Its fun choosing though.
Good luck, ride safe and enjoy the wonderrful Yorkshire country side.
Too old to die young.

Online RedBikeAgain3

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2015 ST ABS noneR
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »
Sound like good choices. As long as they are comfy on the bike, thats the main thing, so you focus on the riding.

Whats your concern with the gloves?

Yam DT80, Honda CB250RS, Yam XJ650, Suzuki X7, Kawa GPz500, Honda CB-1 (400), Yam FZS600 and now ... ST

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by charliedelta [+]
Hello from Sowerby Bridge,very West Yorkshire

Yet to get a bike or my license!!!

However both are in hand and hope to be riding by April.

Currently navigating the minefield that is Kit!

Soooo want a Street Triple!

charliedelta

AY OOP CD and a very warm  :401:

Sounds like you've got a plan mapped out here - and a very good one. 

I haven't kept up with how things work on getting a motorcycle licence these days - heck, I got mine in 1966!!   I  know the guv'ment made it a LOT more complicated in a bid to stop the enormous rise in deaths and injuries to youngsters and novices going out on machines which were rising exponentially in power output and affordability!

I assume you'll take a course - my missus did a four day plus test deal that wasn't particularly cheap but was probably worth EVERY penny it cost.  And here's the thing - she's Police Class 1 Advanced  (including Royal Protection) trained, with 20 odd years of professional driving and simply did not realise how different ... and difficult ... riding a motorcycle is.  The only useful thing that your years of driving will bring to the table for motorcycling is an awareness of how myopic car drivers can be!

If you go to a school for your test I'm sure the instructors there will know the local IAM or ROSPA groups and, as others have said, it IS worth doing the next level of training as soon as possible.   It's easier to learn good habits than it is to 'unlearn' bad ones!   If the school doesn't know the local IAM or ROSPA group, just google them and find a nearby one - they are usually very friendly and welcoming.  Oh, and IAM are not (just) Beemer riders with HiViz "POLITE" vests on - they do know how to have fun and ride safely.

Hopefully 'having fun' and 'riding safely' will be just two of the manifold pleasures you'll enjoy on the Street Triple that you're going to get.  Great choice!

Regards,

Adie

p.s. my wife getting her Street Triple was the main reason I got mine - though mine was an addition to a Triumph family of (now) 9!  :001:

Offline charliedelta

• Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by retsech [+]
Hi Charliedelta
Welcome to the site, to the world of Biking and Street Triples (once you get that licence under your belt).
 These are great little machines, youll have a permanent smile riding.
Shoei GT Air is a great helmet (IMO) and reviews are positive. I have not regretted investing in one. Noise reduction is good.
For the rest of the kit I dont know the items you have suggested although you might need to have more than one outfit depending on your riding - waterproof for the rain, warm for the cold days and something lighter for summer.  My first kit was some decent leathers which I could layer underneath. Its fun choosing though.
Good luck, ride safe and enjoy the wonderrful Yorkshire country side.

thanks retsech!

Offline charliedelta

• Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by RedBikeAgain3 [+]
Sound like good choices. As long as they are comfy on the bike, thats the main thing, so you focus on the riding.

Whats your concern with the gloves?

Thanks RedBikeAgain3

That the levels of protection are not high enough and that they may not be warm enough....

I will soon find out on the warmth front!

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat