Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from West Yorkshire UK  (Read 609 times)

Offline charliedelta

• Topic Author
  • City / Town: Sowerby Bridge
Re: Hello from West Yorkshire UK
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
AY OOP CD and a very warm  :401:

Sounds like you've got a plan mapped out here - and a very good one. 

I haven't kept up with how things work on getting a motorcycle licence these days - heck, I got mine in 1966!!   I  know the guv'ment made it a LOT more complicated in a bid to stop the enormous rise in deaths and injuries to youngsters and novices going out on machines which were rising exponentially in power output and affordability!

I assume you'll take a course - my missus did a four day plus test deal that wasn't particularly cheap but was probably worth EVERY penny it cost.  And here's the thing - she's Police Class 1 Advanced  (including Royal Protection) trained, with 20 odd years of professional driving and simply did not realise how different ... and difficult ... riding a motorcycle is.  The only useful thing that your years of driving will bring to the table for motorcycling is an awareness of how myopic car drivers can be!

If you go to a school for your test I'm sure the instructors there will know the local IAM or ROSPA groups and, as others have said, it IS worth doing the next level of training as soon as possible.   It's easier to learn good habits than it is to 'unlearn' bad ones!   If the school doesn't know the local IAM or ROSPA group, just google them and find a nearby one - they are usually very friendly and welcoming.  Oh, and IAM are not (just) Beemer riders with HiViz "POLITE" vests on - they do know how to have fun and ride safely.

Hopefully 'having fun' and 'riding safely' will be just two of the manifold pleasures you'll enjoy on the Street Triple that you're going to get.  Great choice!

Regards,

Adie

p.s. my wife getting her Street Triple was the main reason I got mine - though mine was an addition to a Triumph family of (now) 9!  :001:

Thanks Adie!

I will keep all your comments in mind.I will progress my training as soon as funds make this possible then.

CD

Online RedBikeAgain3

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2015 ST ABS noneR
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 09:48:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by charliedelta [+]
Thanks RedBikeAgain3

That the levels of protection are not high enough and that they may not be warm enough....

I will soon find out on the warmth front!
Which Five gloves - WFX2?
Winter gloves tend to be more textile / leather mix (leather can get soggy and heavy when wet, the waterproof membrane being underneath).
Insulation thickness is a compromise between warmth an bulk/feel. And winter gloves tend no to go full on armour.
Most folks have several pairs of gloves to suit different conditions (or riding moods even)
Give them a try and see what you think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yam DT80, Honda CB250RS, Yam XJ650, Suzuki X7, Kawa GPz500, Honda CB-1 (400), Yam FZS600 and now ... ST

Offline charliedelta

• Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 10:48:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by RedBikeAgain3 [+]
Which Five gloves - WFX2?
Winter gloves tend to be more textile / leather mix (leather can get soggy and heavy when wet, the waterproof membrane being underneath).
Insulation thickness is a compromise between warmth an bulk/feel. And winter gloves tend no to go full on armour.
Most folks have several pairs of gloves to suit different conditions (or riding moods even)
Give them a try and see what you think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are actually WFX3's.

I chose these as I thought I have actually got some control over where my fingers are going to go on the switchgear.

Having not got any experience yet, it was the best logic I could come up with.

CD

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:46:25 PM »
Good call on the lid front. I have 2 GT Airs. (One about 4 old, with intercom, which makes it noisy, and I have just bought a new one while that offer was on as I wanted one without intercom as well because it's much quieter if you leave the ear pads in).

I can see your logic regarding winter gloves and feel. Depending on your fingers and the temperatures you're likely to be out in, you may be right, who knows? It does make sense. My fingers have terrible circulation and in this current -1/+2C weather, I really struggle after more than say 45 minutes. I have fairly thick gloves (Spada Enforcer) and a pair of silk liner gloves (7 from Decathlon or double that from a bike shop!). Worth thinking about if you find they're not warm enough. Main thing is they're waterproof or they definitely won't be warm if they're wet!

As Adie says, get the advanced training in before you pick up bad habits or make an expensive error. Your road sense will stand you in good stead for knowing what people are likely to do, but there are so many things that bikers have to consider that car drivers never think about, eg % front/rear brake, road surface changes (potholes, manhole covers, overbanding, diesel, plastic bags, horse poo, wet leaves). Even smells (cut grass, fuel, horse poo...) can give you advance warning about what might be round the corner, whilst car man just ploughs on, one eye on the stereo and one hand on his Kitkat.
My other reason for recommending extra training straight away is that when I passed my test (not quite as long ago as Adie LOL!) I also thought to myself "I'll give myself a couple of years to get the hang of it and then I'll do some advanced training". What actually happened was I never quite got round to it. Then I got knocked off and the bike was scrap, which wouldn't have happened if I had known then what I injure now. When I finally started the IAM thing, I'd already done well over 100,000 miles and years of riding - and I had so much trouble breaking all my bad habits. You actually don't need to gain experience before taking advanced training - just a licence and a bike!

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:57:30 PM by hotmetal »
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline bucksfizz

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '09 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Sparkford, Somerset
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 09:18:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by hotmetal [+]
Good call on the lid front. I have 2 GT Airs. (One about 4 old, with intercom, which makes it noisy, and I have just bought a new one while that offer was on as I wanted one without intercom as well because it's much quieter if you leave the ear pads in).

Drifting off topic, I know, but I have resolved the noisy problem with an intercom in the GT-Air:

I stuffed some old earpads from my Grado headphones in the lid, and it makes a huge difference.

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »
Nice one BF! I could probably nick the foam discs off my old Sennheisers for this purpose. I'll give it a try.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:

Offline charliedelta

• Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 11:22:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by hotmetal [+]

I can see your logic regarding winter gloves and feel. Depending on your fingers and the temperatures you're likely to be out in, you may be right, who knows? It does make sense. My fingers have terrible circulation and in this current -1/+2C weather, I really struggle after more than say 45 minutes. I have fairly thick gloves (Spada Enforcer) and a pair of silk liner gloves (7 from Decathlon or double that from a bike shop!). Worth thinking about if you find they're not warm enough. Main thing is they're waterproof or they definitely won't be warm if they're wet!

As Adie says, get the advanced training in before you pick up bad habits or make an expensive error. Your road sense will stand you in good stead for knowing what people are likely to do, but there are so many things that bikers have to consider that car drivers never think about, eg % front/rear brake, road surface changes (potholes, manhole covers, overbanding, diesel, plastic bags, horse poo, wet leaves). Even smells (cut grass, fuel, horse poo...) can give you advance warning about what might be round the corner, whilst car man just ploughs on, one eye on the stereo and one hand on his Kitkat.
My other reason for recommending extra training straight away is that when I passed my test (not quite as long ago as Adie LOL!) I also thought to myself "I'll give myself a couple of years to get the hang of it and then I'll do some advanced training". What actually happened was I never quite got round to it. Then I got knocked off and the bike was scrap, which wouldn't have happened if I had known then what I injure now. When I finally started the IAM thing, I'd already done well over 100,000 miles and years of riding - and I had so much trouble breaking all my bad habits. You actually don't need to gain experience before taking advanced training - just a licence and a bike!

_______

Thanks for your support / wisdom!

I shall be doing advanced as soon as I can!

CD

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 11:40:07 AM »
No worries, if I can help someone not make the mistakes I made it's all good. Hope you find a group that makes it fun. I was with TVAM in Wokingham which was brilliant, and a lot of it depends on your individual observer. I do know some obs/groups can be a bit dad/sgt mjr; hopefully the one you join won't be.

_______

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:

Recent Posts/Topics