Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Problem Checking Throttle Bodies  (Read 442 times)

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
Problem Checking Throttle Bodies
« on: January 20, 2019, 03:58:57 AM »
So as I was diving into my first service at home, got to the part of changing Air Filter and then I was going to check throttle bodies with TuneECU. Had no real issues pulling tank off and getting to the Air Box, and replaced the Air Filter Element without any issues. Then the time came to get on with throttle bodies...

...so as I read in the Triumph Manual I have, they say that you are to remove the Air Box completely, and this would mean pulling out ECM connectors, air intake sensor plug and map reading sensor... But from what I've seen here and there, it appears that most people re-connect the ECM connectors. So I ended up reconnecting everything and then I put the Air Box to the side, as in hanging off to the left hand side. Then I got the tank back on the bike, also tilted to the left hand side and I reconnected everything up as in fuel line, electric plugs and breather pipes.

At this point I'm like;  :001: :001: :001: Getting there, just need to turn bike on and good to go... (so wrong I was)

I tried to connect the bike to the laptop via TuneECU and nothing... at this stage I only had the key in and ignition on, engine off. Then I tried to start the bike and nothing. She wouldn't tick over nor start... (mind you I left the battery on charge yesterday and trough the night, just in case, as I had read that if voltage drops, TuneECU cuts out)... Anyway tried to start the engine a few times and nothing...

At that point I was getting frustrated and decided to put everything together to see what would happen... and so I did...

Put everything back together, and as I was trying to get the bike to start, nothing... In addition to this, the bike shows the bad light on (check engine light) At this point I was not a happy chap... The only thing I changed (from what I can see) is that I didn't re-fit the wire bracket that keeps the fuel line close to the AirBox, this was the only thing I did different... :465: :465:

Tried to connect  TuneECU and nothing... And I got a message saying "ECU not responding, turn ignition off and on", and I did a few times... Nothing, just the same message... Then I tried starting the bike again and she was back to life (and the nasty light was off), and at that time, TuneECU managed to connect. This was when I could see that I'll need to balance the throttle bodies as they are out (cylinder 1)... I left the bike running for a while, but did nothing. In saying that, during that time, TuneECU never lost connection.

Turned bike off and disconnected TuneECU.

Tried to connect again, and nothing, just the message I noted above ("ECU not responding, turn ignition off and on") I tried with engine off, engine running, and same result, nothing...  :087: :087: :087: and mind you that with ignition on, nasty check engine light is on... but since I can't get TuneECU connected I can't check what's wrong...

So, I'm a bit stuck here... Not sure what to do as I want to balance the throttle bodies, but if I can't start the bike with her guts hanging out and / or get TuneECU connected I won't be able to do it...

Any help  :148: :148: :148: :148:
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
Re: Problem Checking Throttle Bodies
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »
If you hang the guts off the side the tilt sensor stops it starting. Disconnect it and bike should start.

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
tilt sensor??? Where's that?

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »
Small black thing next to the ECU, rh side as you look at it and on it's own lead/connector. I'd post a pic but can't be arsed.

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 11:00:28 AM »

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 09:06:03 PM »
Yeah, I saw that thingo (I take photos of most things whilst servicing / working on my bikes)

So I should remove the sensor all together, right?

Another thing, would it be better to pull out the ECU from top of the Airbox, and then connect the ECM's, and just place the lot inside, say over where the spark plugs go? And is it ok to pull out the map sensor from the AirBox, and also keep it inside say below the injectors? I'm only asking cause I've noticed that the part / bracket that holds the transponder for the Map Reading Sensor has an inner metal ring, so I'm wondering if that serves a specific purpose and therefore needs to be fixed onto that for it to work  :087:  :087:  :087: ??

As for the connecting to TuneECU I got that resolved. Simply followed the troubleshoot steps noted in the Cable literature and good to go (LONELEC cable, the best).

so yeah, if I can sort out the "starting the bike" issue I should be sweet  :037: :037: :037:

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »
Just hang the airbox lid and all the gubbins over the side with the tilt sensor disconnected. You need headlight fuses in to start it as well.

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 12:21:58 AM »
Thanks mate. I'll have a go as soon as I can find some spare time. I'll take loads of photos and may even end up writing up an How to  :001:

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 02:10:57 AM »
Got it!!! At first forgot to connect vacuum hose to Map Sensor so I got P1105 and wouldn't read throttle bodies... but then, I reconnected the hose and I was in business  :001:

When I started, it was;

Cyl1 - 710~720
Cyl2 - 700
Cyl3 - 680

At last I got them balanced at 690 They still flicker a bit, as in momentarily Cyl 2 will show 680, but a second later comes back up to 690, so all up I'm happy with this. After couple of throttle blips they even out at 690.

Now I'm hoping that I did connect all the hoses and didn't forget anything... If I did, error code will disappear in 3 heat cycles, if not, guess I'll need to open her up again

Thank you!!

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat