Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Upgrade Brakes  (Read 1562 times)

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Sparkly Edition
  • City / Town: London
Upgrade Brakes
« on: January 22, 2019, 11:29:25 PM »
Toying with the idea of a brake upgrade for my 2016 street triple abs this year, Im thinking of going with the R upgrade, so forks, callipers, master cylinder,

But secretly I would love a pair of those chrome Brembo mono-block callipers, would this be possible fit?

I would like some thoughts on if the upgrade is worth it, any issues I may encounter...?

By the way I have had no problems with the standard brakes, they actually work well, I just like it BIG!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:41:27 PM by greyhound81 »
Watch my Scotland Trip here on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGUEQClJow

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
Re: Upgrade Brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 01:11:34 AM »
Tyres, fuel, suspension tuning and rider training sounds to me a better investment... Especially if you can't find anything wrong with the brakes set up you have.

In saying that, everyone likes a nice busty woman  :008: :008: :008: :031: So if you can afford it, go BIG

Can't help you with the technicalities though.
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 01:33:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by JonyB [+]
Tyres, fuel, suspension tuning and rider training sounds to me a better investment... Especially if you can't find anything wrong with the brakes set up you have.

In saying that, everyone likes a nice busty woman  :008: :008: :008: :031: So if you can afford it, go BIG

Can't help you with the technicalities though.

Thanks JonyB, I have good tyres, a full fuel tank,  :001:and do track days, but there is no suspension tuning on standard street triple, hence the brake upgrade is also a suspension upgrade,

Although i find the braking power fine, I would like a bit more of a initial bite, so there is at least a bit of a reasoning for wanting to do this.

I think I could just install a radial master cylinder, which should give me better feel, from what I understand I need to make sure the piston size is correct?

Thanks

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 02:47:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by greyhound81 [+]
Thanks JonyB, I have good tyres, a full fuel tank,  :001:and do track days, but there is no suspension tuning on standard street triple, hence the brake upgrade is also a suspension upgrade,

Although i find the braking power fine, I would like a bit more of a initial bite, so there is at least a bit of a reasoning for wanting to do this.

I think I could just install a radial master cylinder, which should give me better feel, from what I understand I need to make sure the piston size is correct?

Thanks

What sort of travel are you getting on the forks? If you improve the brakes considerably you'll be bottoming out the forks with little effort (if you know what I mean...) Maybe consider upgrading forks and servicing (or even valving) the shock, this is (in my mind) more important than upgrading perfectly fine brakes... But at the end of the day it very much depends on what you do with the bike and how hard you ride the bike. Don't get me wrong but most of us common mortals don't even scrape the surface of what modern OEM equipment can actually do, especially if looked after and adjusted to a minimum.

You're saying you do track days. So is everyone around you is passing you under braking? Yes?, No?... Maybe think about that... As I said, there's needing and then there's wanting...

If you want more bite, I suggest a bit of TLC to the calipers, pads, CHANGE FLUID, make sure it's bled properly and clean the rotors (in case they're glazed). You should feel some difference.

As for M/C upgrade, you are correct in saying that the piston size is of critical importance. It is all about ensuring that the ratio (M/C diameter to caliper pistons diameter) is correct (within a range) or else the pressure and feel that you'll get on the system (hydraulics) will not be good. Me personally, I wouldn't go that far on a road going bike. Don't really see the point in doing that... Have a read of this website which opens the door a bit on this topic...http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

All this aside, if you like them boobs go get them  :005: :005: :005: :305: :305: :305:

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:55:48 AM »

Thanks

Adjustable clickers are fine tuning but a revalve and correct spring rate for your weight will change the way the bike rides.  Did so on my STR as they are a bit soft to start with.  I bought valve kits from KTech fitted by local agent. 

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 02:37:07 PM »
What sort of travel are you getting on the forks? If you improve the brakes considerably you'll be bottoming out the forks with little effort (if you know what I mean...) Maybe consider upgrading forks and servicing (or even valving) the shock, this is (in my mind) more important than upgrading perfectly fine brakes... But at the end of the day it very much depends on what you do with the bike and how hard you ride the bike. Don't get me wrong but most of us common mortals don't even scrape the surface of what modern OEM equipment can actually do, especially if looked after and adjusted to a minimum.

You're saying you do track days. So is everyone around you is passing you under braking? Yes?, No?... Maybe think about that... As I said, there's needing and then there's wanting...

If you want more bite, I suggest a bit of TLC to the calipers, pads, CHANGE FLUID, make sure it's bled properly and clean the rotors (in case they're glazed). You should feel some difference.

As for M/C upgrade, you are correct in saying that the piston size is of critical importance. It is all about ensuring that the ratio (M/C diameter to caliper pistons diameter) is correct (within a range) or else the pressure and feel that you'll get on the system (hydraulics) will not be good. Me personally, I wouldn't go that far on a road going bike. Don't really see the point in doing that... Have a read of this website which opens the door a bit on this topic...http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

All this aside, if you like them boobs go get them  :005: :005: :005: :305: :305: :305:

thanks for the link i shall check it out...im defo not pushing the forks that hard, im not a big guy, i doubt i would ever bottom it out,  recently changed the brake fluids and it did help a bit, pads are also fairly new, i make sure my bike is always tip-top as its used all year round,

so does anybody know if a radial MC would be a good combination with the standard brakes?

Offline doggy

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: 765 RS + Monster796
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 04:57:05 PM »
Mmmm boobs.......

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:15:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by doggy [+]
Mmmm boobs.......

women love radial mounted brakes!

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 02:07:35 AM »
thanks for the link i shall check it out...im defo not pushing the forks that hard, im not a big guy, i doubt i would ever bottom it out,  recently changed the brake fluids and it did help a bit, pads are also fairly new, i make sure my bike is always tip-top as its used all year round,

so does anybody know if a radial MC would be a good combination with the standard brakes?

Unless it involves boobs, nobody knows jack  :008: :008: :008:

Now seriously, I've not done anything like this so can't offer much help...

...In saying  that, I did look into it once and what I found was that it was hard to find reliable information as to the diameter of the MC you'll consider upgrading to. Then you need to "estimate" if this will work with your calipers or if you'll need to also upgrade the calipers (more $$$$$$$$). In any case, I'm sure it is possible to make it work, it's just a matter of how much money you can throw into it...
As you were saying that you are considering a full front end upgrade, here's a thought; By the time you do all that, you would have invested a fair amount. So why not consider selling the bike and upgrading to a better or more recent (or both) bike that has the better bikes and the better suspension.

Do you research, across many forums, and talk with track day junkies and when on track, talk with the old blokes that have been doing this for years... You'll likely find some guys that have run racing teams and they know a thing or two about improving bike's components... After talking with someone like that you may decide do something different, you never know.

Hope it helps

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »

bike that has the better bikes and the better suspension.

I mean better brakes...

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat