Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cloned plate  (Read 1150 times)

Offline QuijiboJones

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018Street Triple RS
  • City / Town: LEEDS
Cloned plate
« on: January 31, 2019, 06:56:05 PM »
Evening all. Looking for some advice from anyone thats been this situation.
Last week I received a NIP for an offence that I didnt do.. essentially I was at work and my bike was with me.  I had proof, I provided it and today I get a letter no further action, keep this letter with you, your plate has been passed to police.
Also in the post today, another NIP, different day(exactly a week later) same camera and not me again!

Im not concerned about arguing this wasnt me, its annoying I need to hey ho.

Question is, clearly my plates been cloned. Who do I ring and what do I do to stop these bloody NIPS coming?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: Cloned plate
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:31:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by QuijiboJones [+]
Evening all. Looking for some advice from anyone thats been this situation.
Last week I received a NIP for an offence that I didnt do.. essentially I was at work and my bike was with me.  I had proof, I provided it and today I get a letter no further action, keep this letter with you, your plate has been passed to police.
Also in the post today, another NIP, different day(exactly a week later) same camera and not me again!

Im not concerned about arguing this wasnt me, its annoying I need to hey ho.

Question is, clearly my plates been cloned. Who do I ring and what do I do to stop these bloody NIPS coming?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if you can stop them but  here's what I'd try :-

Report it to the police - ask if they will confirm that it is reported as a cloned VRN, or at least give you a reference for the report - crime number, preferably.

Keep copies of ALL of the NIPs and any correspondence and a log of any relevant phone calls.   If the NIPs are coming from a civil authority (camera safety partnership, city/county etc. speed camera control, etc.,) write to them with the crime number etc., and ask if they'd kindly stop automatically sending out NIPs based on the plate.  It might be worth asking if there's any way you can be told some details about the actual vehicle that's triggering the offence, then ask them to check any future incidents against the details of your machine before automatically sending the NIP.   Maybe get a cheap number plate made up - regulation size or bigger - with a slogan on the bottom of it saying "THE REAL QUIJIBO JONES", and then ask the camera reviewers to look out for this mark?  Perhaps not an entirely serious suggestion as you'd almost certainly be in breach of some dumb regulation that restricts the additional wording allowable on a legal licence plate.  I THINK you're allowed the plate maker's name and postcode, though so maybe that would be enough to make your bike discernible from the clone?

However, I doubt that they'll do this - even if it's a police camera set up, it will all be "on the compyootah" so will probably be automatic.  You could always send copies of the NIPs to the police every time they (the NIPs, not the police!!) arrive and ask them for an update on progress with resolution of the issue.  You never know, they MIGHT just get sick of receiving what might seem to them to be 'junk mail' and try a bit harder to resolve it - though in these cash-strapped, resource-light days it's hard to see exactly what they CAN do.  They certainly ain't gonna have a patrol car sitting by the camera - even if the scrote that's doing it is on a regular drugs run and is consistent with his schedule!

In the meantime, I suspect that you'll have to keep on keeping on, refute any NIPs and submit proof of your innocence.  I'd make a note of date/time/location, see if there's any pattern and consider spending a few hours waiting for him/her .... unless they're always while you're at work!

Not much help, I know, but I doubt that there's an easy fix to your problem, regrettably.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Adie

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:43:12 PM »
Can you change the plate? Here on OZ we can get different number plates some are special for which you pay yearly fees, but for standard plates it's a one off fee.

That's what I'd be doing.

Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Online adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:23:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by JonyB [+]
Can you change the plate? Here on OZ we can get different number plates some are special for which you pay yearly fees, but for standard plates it's a one off fee.

That's what I'd be doing.

Wish it was quite that easy here!  It would require an application for an age related plate and a fee - not to mention a wait.  And it would mean a change to the "log book" (V5 here) which might  be seen as a bit odd when it comes to moving  the bike on. 

Although it could be done, I'm not sure it would be straightforward or cost effective.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 11:54:30 PM »
If you know where the Perp is by way of their times passing said camera.....get a stinger and a tazer and use them in that order....that will stop the Fu%&er    :230:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline morebeanz

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Guildford
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
Although it could be done, I'm not sure it would be straightforward or cost effective.

A damn sight easier than spending the next couple years refuting NIPs, I would have thought. I suspect that if you had a talk to your local police, they might even support the application to DVLA and you could get it free? You don't know unless you try...
I don't just count beans, I also understand the commercial significance of beans!

Offline QuijiboJones

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018Street Triple RS
  • City / Town: LEEDS
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 08:40:29 AM »
Thanks all

Some further googling list suggests swapping the plate via the dvla might be the best option. Either that or I spend a #### ton of money on a private that I dont need

Im going to ring the force that sent me the NIP and ask them to put a real human person in the way of the automated camera NIPS as well. Ill report back when I have an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Titter

• Street Triple Member
  • Titter
  • Bike: 2015 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 08:41:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by morebeanz [+]

A damn sight easier than spending the next couple years refuting NIPs, I would have thought. I suspect that if you had a talk to your local police, they might even support the application to DVLA and you could get it free? You don't know unless you try...
You've got more chance of seeing God  :001:
Over the hill. Loves bikes, music & family. Not necessarily in that order

Offline Beelady

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Steet Triple
  • City / Town: New Romney
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 08:51:08 AM »
I changed the plate on my bike last summer. Costs seem to range from 150 upwards for the plate, although mine was a little more. I also paid 19.99 to have all the paperwork handled for me. The plate arrived in a week and the log book after two weeks. At that point you ring your insurer to change the details (no extra charge with Bennett's), fasten the new plate to the bike and off you go. I had a letter from the insurance a month later to ask for a confirmation in writing and that was it. So, expensive but simple to do.

I also had a strange encounter with a cloned plate. I spotted a familiar plate on a Harley I used to own at a bike meet and went over to have a look at it, hoping to maybe meet the new owner and chat about it. As soon as I got close I realised that there was no way it was my old bike. I asked the lady owner how long she'd owned it and she'd had it for several years so that meant there were two almost identical Harleys with the same plate. She was adamant that I had made a mistake so I got a picture out to show her, at which point she lost the plot and threatened to take my head off if I told anyone about it. Nice. I might have ignored it if she hadn't called me names, but I wasn't letting it go so I passed the details on to the Police. I never heard any more about it so presumably they weren't interested. Lesson learned.

Offline Stewarty

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: STRX
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Titter [+]
You've got more chance of seeing God  :001:

Exactly this ^

I had the same thing once with a van. There was a Ford Ka running around London with my plate on lol. Got fed up phoning and being asked for all sorts of proof even though you could clearly see it was a car and not a commercial vehicle. Went to local police station and they just laughed and told me fo ignore it. I feel for you as it is very frustrating so hope it gets sorted out for you.

Recent Posts/Topics