Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tank sliders, crash bungs or both?  (Read 505 times)

Offline Alastair

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 675
Tank sliders, crash bungs or both?
« on: February 07, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
I'm looking to do a couple of track days in the coming year and want to, as far as possible, protect the bike in case of a spill... The previous owner fitted GB Racing engine covers, but I'd like to protect the tank etc. What's the best option?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Bel

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Carbonised STR
Re: Tank sliders, crash bungs or both?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »
What year is your model? Some tank corners could help and maybe crash bungs. I can help with some depending on what you have.

I have a set of large tank covers which are 2nds which I could do a deal on.
Owner of CarbonFBR, for a peek at some carbon goodness please visit www.CarbonFBR.com, FB at https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclecarbonfiber or Twitter at https://twitter.com/CarbonFBRdotcom

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 01:40:56 AM »
I've got frame sliders from JayBee Biker Bits (if he's still around, I don't know...), and I always fancied getting tank protectors.

Crash protection is always good, so the more the merrier. In saying that, it will be the "crash" itself that will determine the consequence of damage and where / how the damage will occur... you're dealing with CHAOS here  :031:...

Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline dunf

• Street Triple Member
  • dunf
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Fife
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by JonyB [+]
I've got frame sliders from JayBee Biker Bits (if he's still around, I don't know...), and I always fancied getting tank protectors.

Crash protection is always good, so the more the merrier. In saying that, it will be the "crash" itself that will determine the consequence of damage and where / how the damage will occur... you're dealing with CHAOS here  :031:...

My tuppence worth. Crash protection isnt always good. When I first started racing I used engine covers (mandatory) and crash bungs (optional). Had my fair share of crashes over the first couple years. Included in that were 2 basic low side slides that shouldve ended with a bit of gravel rash and bodywork but because the crash bung dug in to either the grass or the mat at the edge of the gravel, I ended up with a flipped bike rolling and smashed subframes, tank and clocks. After the second one I ditched the crash bungs and just kept the engine covers on from then onwards. A lot of track guys do the same. You can also get low profile bungs now which might be worth considering. They sit inboard of the bodywork.

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:25:35 AM »
I've only been blessed with one low side crash and bike had frame sliders on. I was lucky enough to only get a cracked stator cover and scuffed lower panel... "unfortunately" you have more experience with crashes, so I'm my view your opinion is to be considered, without a doubt.

I've heard of flipped bikes and riders saying that it was thanks to the slider, and then other riders going on to say that it was likely the bung itself that was too hard and not of the correct material to act as a shock absorber by wearing down as the bike slides down the road... The ones I had when I crashed were R&G with nylon bungs, and I can confirm mine did wear down as the bike disappeared from under me...

What about yours?, Good stuff, say like nylon?, or some other material? I'm asking as I've got sliders on my track bike and I wonder if best to keep or not...
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline Bel

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Carbonised STR
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
Agree with other posts. It all depends on the crash. A speedy slide and things can go wrong when it digs in. Seen a 1098 do a double roll in the air coming down hard. Owner didn't know this till I showed him the photos I took track side.

For the road full sized crash bungs I guess is a better idea for lowsides and slow crashes plus bike don't tend to go into runoff as there is normally very little of that
Owner of CarbonFBR, for a peek at some carbon goodness please visit www.CarbonFBR.com, FB at https://www.facebook.com/motorcyclecarbonfiber or Twitter at https://twitter.com/CarbonFBRdotcom

Recent Posts/Topics