Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting Triumph Flyscreen Visor Kit: 2015 Street Triple (A9708188)  (Read 287 times)

Offline Mitch

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Lanc's
Article: Fitting Triumph Flyscreen Visor Kit to a 2015 Street Triple (Pt No A9708188)

Background: I recently bought a Street Triple R, and decided that I would like to fit a genuine Triumph Flyscreen.

Credits: Tons of Credit goes to both:-

David, (RedBikeAgain3): Thanks for going the extra mile to help me find the screen I wanted, even offering to put a drill the correct size in the post!

Lyn, (exuptoy): Many thanks for a brilliant article on this Forum, warning of a potential issue, and detailing a great solution, which I like a lot. Its a great source of info. I read Lyns article before I fitted mine, and found it very helpful. I decided to followed Lyns lead and made a similar support bracket for mine, whilst I was fitting the Visor Kit, (a quick trial of fitting it without, and trying to tilt the screen by hand, convinced me it would be a benefit, without the need for a test ride). Obviously its a personal thing, and Im sure there will be loads of screens out there that are fine without it. Heres a link to Lyns original article.
https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php?topic=28550.0

Pictures of the New Screen Installation:-

CardBoard Template for Bracket

Drawn out Shape of Template onto 5mm Alu Plate

Cut Shape of Template Out in 5mm Alloy Plate

Unexpected Discoveries

Instrument Panel Wiring: I found some gaps in the Harness Wrapping just behind the clocks, where theres a sharp bend at the point it plugs into the back of the instrument panel. So I went over the top, (as usual)!, with some self amalgamating tape, then over that with narrow electrical tape to ensure no moisture can get in that way.

Clutch Cable Outer Slash/Cut: There was a very clean cut to the Outer, which looked to have been made with a sharp knife. I couldnt find any damage at all to the inner, so I wonder if someone opened a cardboard box of cables with a Sharp Stanley knife at the factory?! I disconnected the cable at both ends, pulled it straight, and repaired it with adhesive lined head shrink.

Alloy Plate fitted, after finally getting bend at right angle, de-burring and a Coating of Anto Corrosion

View of the back of the Triumph Flyscreen, showing the moulded in marks for drilling

Well Nuts Fitted to Flyscreen, (Wife Di, unimpressed at me drilling it out on the carpet of the spare bedroom)!

Visor Kit Pre-Fitted to Flyscreen Cowl

Finished Result:
Im really pleased with the results. The Visor Kit definitely helps at motorway speeds, and I really like the look of it too. So well worth the effort.

Cheers, Mitch...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:12:25 PM by Mitch »

Offline RedBikeAgain3

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2015 ST ABS noneR
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: Fitting Triumph Flyscreen Visor Kit: 2015 Street Triple (A9708188)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
Mitch, another great write up.
Word to the wise, cant remember if the instructions give a torque for the fasteners - but on my first proper run out on bumpy back roads the front fastener loosened off.
No big drama as I could pull over and tool under the seat did for tightening up.
When I got home I wiped the fasteners out and put some medium thread lock on them and did them back up - no issues since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yam DT80, Honda CB250RS, Yam XJ650, Suzuki X7, Kawa GPz500, Honda CB-1 (400), Yam FZS600 and now ... ST

Offline Mitch

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Lanc's
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »
Hiya David,
                 OK, many thanks for your info. I will check them in a bit. I'm not sure if you mean the ones from the Smoked Visor to the, "Pixie Hat", or the Pixie Hat to the Instrument surround. Either way, the recommended torques are so low that I prefer to trust my calibrated right hand, rather than a torque wrench, and would rather err on the safe side, (and be able to tighten them up), than the too tight side and crack the screen at one of the fixing holes. Sounds like you have done the same, hence checking them after a ride! Worth knowing, Ta.

Here they are anyway, (in case anyone else want's them).

I doubt anyone has a torque wrench that goes so low!, but you never know.. The instructions would be better if they just said something like, "Don't over-tighten the fixings you Donkey"!

Cheers, Mitch...

Offline RedBikeAgain3

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2015 ST ABS noneR
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:56 PM »
Yep, I meant the new visor mounting fasteners. I didnt so much as check after the ride as stop because the visor was dancing about on the pixie hat. And yep, the visor does look in danger of cracking if one were to go mad with the torques

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yam DT80, Honda CB250RS, Yam XJ650, Suzuki X7, Kawa GPz500, Honda CB-1 (400), Yam FZS600 and now ... ST

Recent Posts/Topics