Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2012 Street Triple 675 restart issue  (Read 301 times)

Offline motorhead

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Street Triple
  • City / Town: Bristol
2012 Street Triple 675 restart issue
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
Help!

I bought my 2012 Street Triple from Laguna Motorcycles in Maidstone at the end of November 2018. In the first week it broke down twice and has been infrequently breaking down since.

The bike starts fine, but on occasion (about 8 times now) when riding in a low gear and the bike gets hot (hot enough to feel the exhaust under the seat) if the bike is stalled or turned off by key or killswitch (never used) it fails to start back up again. If I then leave it to cool down for an hour it usually starts up again okay.

I've taken it back to Laguna 2 times and they can't recreate the fault so are saying they can't fix it until it fails again, which who knows when that will be. They've checked the battery and it's reading fine apparently the R/R has been checked too. I have 6 months warranty with the bike. Does anyone know what the issue may be? OR does anyone know if I have grounds to return the bike as it's not up to standard?

Here's a video of the fault I recorded - 

Any help would be greatly appreciate, it's my first big bike and I love it when it works!

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: 2012 Street Triple 675 restart issue
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »
Battery, seen this before and it's been discussed on here on more than one occasion. I'd put money on it the battery is fecked.

Offline motorhead

• Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:33:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Green_Ninja [+]
Battery, seen this before and it's been discussed on here on more than one occasion. I'd put money on it the battery is fecked.

The voltage is reading correctly- is it still fecked? At one point the horn stopped working too. Can you recommend what battery to replace with? Not sure I can be bothered keeping going back to the garage (I live 60 miles away) for the warranty and might just change it myself if it's not too expensive.

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:35:57 PM »
Hi,

I had it recently with my 2011 striple. Just once. I have been riding it since without further issues.

The one time it happened was also when I got the bike real hot, practising slow manoeuvring and emergency braking on a parking lot. I shut down the bike and it wouldn't restart until about half a hour later. Happend only once. Symptom same as in your video.

I guess that a striple, when real hot gets high compression that gives the starter and battery a hard time. You could try a new battery and see if that solves the issue.

I didn't change the battery yet, since I suspect that I just let it off to long not driving . So after charging I did some tests and measurements and my battery came out very good. I knock on wood, but It didn't happen a second time.

To check your batteries condition, you can not just measure voltage.
This is the procedure:

First charge the battery fully with a decent charger.
Lights on for a minute/ lights off and measure : 12.5V - 12.7V is fine
Multimeter on Vdc with min/max function.
Start the engine
Vmax with running engine is about 14.4V and it is stable when changing RPM with throttle . This indicates a healthy loading circuit.
Vmin while starting engine ( use of startermotor) should not drop below 9.6V . Preferable  Vmin is at about 10.5V Under 9.6V is an indication of a dying battery, that isn't able to provide the needed starting amps.

Now you could take your multimeter with you under the sadle. If the symptom with a hot engine happens and the engine does not start. Measure the Vmin while trying to start. If it drops below 9.6V. You can be sure the battery simply does not have the required starting amps to turn the startermotor around.
Or just buy a new battery....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:16:45 PM by gvy »

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:50:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorhead [+]

The voltage is reading correctly- is it still fecked? At one point the horn stopped working too. Can you recommend what battery to replace with? Not sure I can be bothered keeping going back to the garage (I live 60 miles away) for the warranty and might just change it myself if it's not too expensive.

Hey Lemmy ..... sorry .... motorhead.  Geert (gvy) has pretty much nailed that one with his response.   If you have a multimeter and the inclination to keep it with you, or on the bike, until this re-occurs then this is likely to resolve any doubts.  If you just want to go out and get a battery use a site like Tayna Batteries

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/f/triumph/street-triple-07-present/

to determine the correct code/type/size; decide on your preferred manufacturer  nd budget and Robert's ya mother's brother!  The Yuasa AGM for less than 30 looks like pretty good value - especially if it resolves your problem and gives you back some much needed reliability!

Best of luck.

Regards,

Adie

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: ST 675 Gold Edition
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:18:52 PM »
This probably has nothing to do with your particular issue but In the first few months of owning my brand new street triple it stalled a couple of times whilst actually riding, if I remember correctly  the dealer told me me to start the bike and just let it idle for 10-15 minutes, its supposed the reset something in the ECU, Im not sure if thats what resolved the problem but Ive never had it happen again,
Watch my Scotland Trip here on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGUEQClJow

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »
Just get yourself a new battery....Motobatt (nice yellow one) .....and start riding it without worrying. You will need to keep the battery charged, ideally with a smart charger plugged in whilst garaged (if you have access to power), and especially if yyou are using an alarm as this eats the battery ........ :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline motorhead

• Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I'll get a multimeter and check it next time it happens, I've seen a lot of people having similar issues and blaming the R/R, could it be that? I wonder if the weak battery is just a symptom of a deeper problem?

Trouble is I live in London so am quite often going slow speeds and getting the bike hot so this is happening all the time now and I don't want to have to wait an hour if I stop to fuel up! 

I use the bike everyday surely that should keep the battery topped up?

Thanks again guys much appreciated.

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 11:28:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
Hi,

I had it recently with my 2011 striple. Just once. I have been riding it since without further issues.

The one time it happened was also when I got the bike real hot, practising slow manoeuvring and emergency braking on a parking lot. I shut down the bike and it wouldn't restart until about half a hour later. Happend only once. Symptom same as in your video.

I guess that a striple, when real hot gets high compression that gives the starter and battery a hard time. You could try a new battery and see if that solves the issue.

I didn't change the battery yet, since I suspect that I just let it off to long not driving . So after charging I did some tests and measurements and my battery came out very good. I knock on wood, but It didn't happen a second time.

To check your batteries condition, you can not just measure voltage.
This is the procedure:

First charge the battery fully with a decent charger.
Lights on for a minute/ lights off and measure : 12.5V - 12.7V is fine
Multimeter on Vdc with min/max function.
Start the engine
Vmax with running engine is about 14.4V and it is stable when changing RPM with throttle . This indicates a healthy loading circuit.
Vmin while starting engine ( use of startermotor) should not drop below 9.6V . Preferable  Vmin is at about 10.5V Under 9.6V is an indication of a dying battery, that isn't able to provide the needed starting amps.

Now you could take your multimeter with you under the sadle. If the symptom with a hot engine happens and the engine does not start. Measure the Vmin while trying to start. If it drops below 9.6V. You can be sure the battery simply does not have the required starting amps to turn the startermotor around.
Or just buy a new battery....

The one check you didn't mention is to check the voltage drop when starting the bike, if it drops below about 11.5volts (I think this is the correct value) it is the battery at fault. The checks you mention are fine to check the charging circuit but do not 'stress' battery as it does when starting the bike. If the cells in the battery are staring to fail you can frequently get good readings when doing a straight voltage check which is misleading.

Also the bike is a 2012, so 9 years old this year, I would expect it to be on it's second battery by now as bike batteries seldom last  over 5 years. If it's on it's original battery it has done exceptionally well and is definitely due a new one.

Online tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 07:22:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Green_Ninja [+]
The one check you didn't mention is to check the voltage drop when starting the bike,

Did you actually read the post  :112:

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat