Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: KTM 390?  (Read 924 times)

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Street Triple
  • City / Town: London
KTM 390?
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:27:24 PM »
Hi all,

I just want peoples views on the Duke 390, I miss a bike that I can thrash and not worry about losing my license, I always remember riding my 2 stroke Aprilal RS 125 and loved how much I could ride fast without worrying about easily getting to triple figures.

Anyone ridden one?

Any views?

Thanks

Offline grmtylr

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple
Re: KTM 390?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »
Have a look at the Performance Bikes Magazine forum, there's a huge thread on there about them.

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by 2012StreetT [+]
Hi all,

I just want peoples views on the Duke 390, I miss a bike that I can thrash and not worry about losing my license, I always remember riding my 2 stroke Aprilal RS 125 and loved how much I could ride fast without worrying about easily getting to triple figures.

Anyone ridden one?

Any views?

Thanks

Bucksfizz has one, I think, and he loves it.  He'll be along sometime soon to explain more ..........................................  :028:

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:11:02 PM »
Thanks, will have a look.

My biggest fear is I will get bored of the power (or lack of. Will be good to hear some feedback.

Offline Ben_M

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Beds
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:57:30 AM »
I bought one last December as ktm were doing a deal on pre reg ones. It's a riot. Enough power to overtake in most situations, weighs nothing and handles great. It's a bit vibey but that doesn't bother me too much and keep a decent coating of acf50 or likewise on it as even though mine's not an everyday bike there are bits that corrode quickly.

Great fun though either on B roads or traffic.

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 06:06:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ben_M [+]
I bought one last December as ktm were doing a deal on pre reg ones. It's a riot. Enough power to overtake in most situations, weighs nothing and handles great. It's a bit vibey but that doesn't bother me too much and keep a decent coating of acf50 or likewise on it as even though mine's not an everyday bike there are bits that corrode quickly.

Great fun though either on B roads or traffic.

Thanks for the update, i am going to see if I can test ride one at the weekend to see what the power is like as it want it to be able to sit at 75mph on the motorway but also have enough  torque for fun at the weekend. As along as it can put a smile on my face I I wont get bored with it I will get one. Good to hear some good feedback.

Offline bucksfizz

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '09 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Sparkford, Somerset
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
Bucksfizz has one, I think, and he loves it.  He'll be along sometime soon to explain more ..........................................  :028:

I do, Adie, and you're quite right - I love it.
It works for me, as I live in the sticks where it excels.
It's great for blasting around the country lanes, and it has a fair turn of speed - it'll do 70 mph easily.
I had a mate come round on his BMW R1200 GS, and I left him for dead.
It's so light at 150 kg (330 lbs in old money) dry, and so flickable - it's like riding a house fly.
The suspension is basic and non-adjustable, but that's OK if you're of average height and weight.
Any problems? Yes, the engine surges at low revs, due to lean running for emissions.
It's a pain until cured with  a piggy-back ECU - I have the Coober.
And looks are subjective, but I like it:

Oh, and you have to get an after-market exhaust and a tail tidy (Evotech is the best).

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
It's great for blasting around the country lanes, and it has a fair turn of speed - it'll do 70 mph easily.
It's so light at 150 kg (330 lbs in old money) dry, and so flickable - it's like riding a house fly.
The suspension is basic and non-adjustable, but that's OK if you're of average height and weight.
Any problems? Yes, the engine surges at low revs, due to lean running for emissions.

Oh, and you have to get an after-market exhaust and a tail tidy (Evotech is the best).

There ya go 2012StreetT!  Always comes up with the quality goods does Bicksfizz.  End user experience; impartial; informative; helpful and honest - doesn't get better than that!

Cheers Bucksfizz.

Regards,

Adie

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]

Thank you for your review, good to hear some unbiased feedback. Very nice looking bike too. Due to only covering 700miles last year I think I may sell my Triple and just have a 390, struggle to justify having both. My worry is that I will get bored with a 390 from having a 675. I live in Kent so mostly back roads and county roads on a Sunday morning. Occasionally I will be on the motorway too, good to hear it will get to 70 without any issues. Planning to buy brand new if I was to buy one.

Expensive for piggy back ECU and set up for the 390?

Really want the akrapovic exhaust.

Offline bucksfizz

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: '09 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Sparkford, Somerset
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by 2012StreetT [+]
My worry is that I will get bored with a 390 from having a 675. I live in Kent so mostly back roads and county roads on a Sunday morning. Occasionally I will be on the motorway too, good to hear it will get to 70 without any issues. Planning to buy brand new if I was to buy one.

Expensive for piggy back ECU and set up for the 390?

Really want the akrapovic exhaust.

It's actually quite a quick little bike, and I keep forgetting this fact before I take it out.
Open up the taps, and it fairly motors along.
However, you have to remember that it has only 43 bhp.
(Compare that to a Velocette Venom 500 that had 34 bhp, and was considered a quick bike in its day.)
Overtaking takes a little planning, and it's no Street Triple in that respect.
A road test will give you an idea of how it works for you, or not.

I've just remembered another fail: the TFT display is prone to internal condensation.
I had mine replaced, but the replacement was just as bad one day later.
Word is that KTM has an upgraded TFT screen for 2019 - my dealer told me wait a while before bringing it in again.

As for piggy-back ECUs, there are a few on the market.
I chose the Coober, as it was developed in association with KTM, I believe.
The Powertronic is meant to be good, and you can add a quick-shifter with this ECU.
Another that springs to mind is the Rapid Bike Evo.
If funds are tight, then you might want to consider a BoosterPlug - eBay is your friend here.

I went for the Leo Vince, as they can provide a pre-silencer that gets rid of the huge and heavy "tea pot".
I liked the look of the Arrow, but IIRC there was no "tea pot" eliminator, and I didn't want two suppliers.
BTW, you don't need a re-map even for the Akrapoviĉ - the re-map is for pre-2017 bikes.
HTH

Recent Posts/Topics