Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handle bar inserts  (Read 347 times)

Offline Davo75

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R
Handle bar inserts
« on: March 14, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
I was replacing the old mirrors with some bar end ones I purchased. One side fitted with no issues (left side)

I come to remove the right one and it looks like it was forced in by the previous owner and has some how dethreaded and the sheared off as I tried to remove it.  I have take the bar insert out to show you. Does anybody know or where I can buy the insert or have any other suggestions please?

It's 2012 Triple R

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:01:37 PM by Davo75 »

Online shaun

• Street Triple God
Re: Handle bar inserts
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:23:19 PM »
I would have ago at getting that screw out, it will have thread lock on it which can be a #### to get out, put some heat on it or soak it in oil and try mole grip it out, if that fails drill it out.

Offline Davo75

• Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by shaun [+]
I would have ago at getting that screw out, it will have thread lock on it which can be a #### to get out, put some heat on it or soak it in oil and try mole grip it out, if that fails drill it out.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Any idea what size the bolt would be? M5 ?

Online shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 08:59:07 PM »
I am not sure on size, if your going down the drill it route you just need a smaller drill than bolt then extract remains with bolt extracter. I would try heat and mole grips first,hold it in grips over gas hob.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 11:35:05 PM »
Put it in a very hot oven for half an hour (not the microwave type) ... that should destroy the loctite, Dont try and get it out without the heat thing, as you well know, as its already defeated you so far  :112:.....then get the insert out by drilling / screw stud extractor, or whatever   :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Online shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
What maybe worth ago is brake cleaner that comes in a aerosol can as its great at dissolving glue on handle bar grips.

Offline Davo75

• Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »
Thanks all.

I popped in to one of the work shops in University, even the engineer couldn't get it out.  :001:

Anyway, he made me two new ones made of stainless steel and some stronger M5 Screws which done the job perfectly. What a difference having bar ends. I seen them on Ebay for 59.99 and got them 26 on AliExpress. Cant recommend them enough.  Here is the link which may help others if they need a decent pair. The Mirrors have like a blue tint on them too.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motoo-free-shipping-7-8-Motorcycle-Handlebar-end-bar-Mirrors-Street-Bikes-For-Ducati-Monster-696/32755740490.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32274c4dh70um5

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Davo75 [+]
I popped in to one of the work shops in University, even the engineer couldn't get it out.  :001:
Anyway, he made me two new ones made of stainless steel and some stronger M5 Screws which done the job perfectly.

DID the Engineer use any heat...as if not, he's been wasting his time aka Will Hay

Why DID  you go M5...later bikes had M6 which avoided all that M5 stuff M8  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat