Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Potential Newbie?  (Read 238 times)

Offline Craigie Boy

• Topic Author
  • City / Town: Perth
Potential Newbie?
« on: March 16, 2019, 08:17:32 AM »
Morning all,  I hope everyone is well.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2013 Street Triple R ABS today but have never owned one having been on out and out sports bikes for years.  Currently on a 2009 'blade that is phenomenal but maybe too phenomenal for me at my advancing years  :003:

So, question is - do I make the jump?  I have found my mileage has dropped over the last few years as I find the 'blade takes too much effort, full leathers, full on concentration, etc. and am looking for something I can use more day to day and enjoy just puttling around the place with the odd good ride around the fine roads of Scotland.

Is there anything I should look out for?  The bike is low mileage, done less than 7k only done 500 miles between last MOT, has Arrow cans, sliders, belly pan, etc.

I look forward to your thoughts and hope to join the ranks of the STriple soon :)

Thanks,

Craig

Online Red

• Street Triple God
  • Carpe diem (na Kaapstad en terug)
Re: Potential Newbie?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »
Its a great fun bike, does it all too.

If you like really fast A roads not so twisty roads, then not really the bike.

But if you like a light bike and the twisties its tops

Sounds like you enjoy over the speeed limit, so depends how much over really.

"Not just today"
"Vos es meus optimus amicus"
"We can't change the weather, only enjoy the challenges it brings."
"When the road gets rough, who needs tarmac? ;-)  X"
"Team Red Tours are go!"
"O" roads for the adventure
"Being quick is not about going fast,its about being slower less often"

Offline Hamburg

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 ST ABS
  • City / Town: Oxford
Potential Newbie?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »
Welcome Craig, theyre a perfect bike for those of us who are finding full on sports bikes a bit of a chore.

Ive had early Blades for years and still have an 1993 SC28 in the garage, but my ST is always my default choice, you should try one, youll love it. Not much goes wrong with them, just check its got some service history and it not been thrown down the road.

As you say the ST encourages a much more relaxed attitude to biking, Leather jacket, Kevlar jeans, and a pair of timberland boots is all you need.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:01:18 AM by Hamburg »

Online Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 10:28:36 AM »
Welcome....butt  :192:  that applies only if you make the jump  :001:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline Street675IRL

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Waterford
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 05:44:05 PM »
Just give the engine a good look over visible around the output shaft sprocket area aswell as they are known for silly oil leaks weeps etc not all but some.. and as the lads above said the more paper work, service history the better. I had a B1 zx6r (636)  aggressive riding position and a screamer. Then moved to a 2009 street r and loved it but after a while I was missing the more seriousness of a sport bike so I sold my Matt blaze orange str and bought a k8 gsxr 750 I wont say instant regret but I found myself planning my spins rather than just jumping on the bike and hitting off like on the str so after awhile I said I want another street I got my hands on a spotless 13 str and sold the gsxr. There a great do it all bike comfort, handling, looks, quality components and real world usable power test ride one I dont think you will be disappointed 👍🏻

Offline Snox

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Rsv
  • City / Town: Tamworth
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 07:59:07 PM »
Comfy to ride . Perfect for tight Twisties . Great up to a ton . For me it's a great bike , if you like the above go for it . Oh no they are real nice on the eye to . I have come from sports bike and will never go back .

Online Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »
I went form a 2010 ZX10R to a 2103 STR and have never regretted it. Now have a 2017 STRS and still loving it. Every bit as quick on the road (without going to extreme speeds) better riding position (which gives a better view ahead), light easy handling Torque and revs and they sound awesome.
I've ridden with mates an S1000RRs and never been left far behind, been touring (2600 miles in 6 days), commuted, pootled, track day'd it etc etc.

Just do it  :001:

Offline Craigie Boy

• Topic Author
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »
So, it looks like I'm now the proud owner of a 2013 STR  :018:

Be getting it in the next couple of weeks and can't wait to give her a proper run out.

Thanks for the help - maybe catch some of you in the future  :028:

Offline Hamburg

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 ST ABS
  • City / Town: Oxford
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 11:51:31 AM »
Good choice, welcome to the family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online redstr13

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 13str