Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: dipped/main beam circuit and pass toggle  (Read 224 times)

Offline Connelly1888

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street
  • City / Town: Glasgow
dipped/main beam circuit and pass toggle
« on: March 24, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »
Evening all,

I noticed just before Christmas that my pass switch was a bit temperamental, and sometimes the high beam light would illuminate intermittently on the clock while riding.

Fast forward to now, had the bike in pieces the past month or so and took it out a ride last week.

If I switch from dipped to main beam, the lights go out altogether. If I switch it gently and meaningfully the main beam goes on, but occasionally it switches lights off. The pass switch doesn't work whatsoever.

I've gave the switchgear a good blast of electrical cleaner to no avail! The indicators are working fine.

I had the bulbs out and the wiring for them seems fine though haven't tested, maybe open up the switchgear and check inside?

Anyone else encountered a problem like this? It's a 2007 street

Many thanks

Just to add, when the lights go out when switched to main beam, when I switch them back they come straight back on. Theres a certain knack to it, but I can get the main beam on every time, though if you dont know about it they'll just turn off

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
Re: dipped/main beam circuit and pass toggle
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:15:59 PM »
Hmmm I don't know exactly but it's probably the switchgear. Most people's pass switch doesn't work unless their bike is new or they keep it clean/ use the pass switch regularly. They go gunky and get corroded inside, pass switch seems to be the first to become intermittent and then non-functional. You can, with contact cleaner and perseverance, bring them back to life. In your case it sounds like the actual dip/main switch is also either dirty and/or worn. You'll need to do more than just spray it, you'll need to spend a fair amount of time flicking it back and forth while the bike is running as well as the contact cleaner. Or maybe get a replacement LH switchgear. It's a good idea to get into the habit of flashing the pass lights every so often just to keep them going. Mine stopped working for a while but after a squirt of cleaner and a bit of optimistic left index finger action every time I got on it, after persevering for a few days it did come back to life.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline Connelly1888

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Re: dipped/main beam circuit and pass toggle
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 10:26:49 PM »
Cheers mate, good to know. Once the Mot's out the way I might give it a strip back and see if I can find the problem. You can feel the hi/low switch is slightly clunky in operation. After you get it working a few times it usually works fine, just the 1st couple of times.

I'll keep soaking it in contact cleaner and working it and hopefully I get lucky

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat