Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting a new ignition switch  (Read 245 times)

Offline davep1963

• Topic Author
  • Bike: Street 675R
  • City / Town: Brighton
Fitting a new ignition switch
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
I recently fell victim of having my street triple stolen and luckily having g a tracker fitted to the bike enabled me to getting it back within 1 hour. The damage caused was a smashed ignition  lock. I have ordered the replacement from triumph but my question is, how do I access the plug from the switch to the wiring loom. Do I have to remove the complete airbox or can it be accessed easier by just lifting the tank.

Offline shaun

• Street Triple God
Re: Fitting a new ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:57:13 AM »
Its not something Ive ever had to do but if its under the tank or air box its not that difficult to get to,make sure the tank is low on fuel and its easier to disconnect the fuel lines if youve someone to hold the tank for you, when the tanks replaced make sure the breather pipes have no kinks in them you can do this by pulling them from around the swinging arm.the air box top has a load of screws in the top and if my memory serves me correctly the base to the box is bolted, just take your time and take pics before each sequence on your phone.does it not show in manual were it connected?.

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
Re: Fitting a new ignition switch
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »
Your biggest problem is going to be removal of the old one. It's fitted with shear bolts. When I had the same problem I took mine to Clive Wood and he fixed it quickly because he has done loads of these and figured out the best way to do it fast without causing damage. It was a few years ago now so I can't remember the details but IIRC it involved taking the top yoke off and going in with a thin grinding disc at an angle at a very specific place.
When you connect the loom you need to take care with routing so the wires don't get stretched or battered by movement of the bars. At the connector end under the tank on the left, it's quite tight. Make sure you clean the pins of this connector and put some anti corrosion stuff on it because that connector is a well known spot for failure (corrosion and overheating) which could leave you stranded.

_______
The only V8 I'm likely to own comes in one litre tetrapaks and tastes like celery.

_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat