Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice needed, Easter maybe cancelled, possibly divorce can you help?  (Read 331 times)

Offline S4int

• Topic Author
  • City / Town: Southampton
Hi all.

I had an issue yesterday after taking the bike for a long run (approx 90 miles) and am looking for advice where to look first.

The bike is a 2010 and new to me, I have recently taken the tank off to remove the previous owners heated grips.

So went for a long ride and had a couple of stops on the way, most of the day we were riding "enthusiastically". Bike ran fantastically all day then just as we were coming in for a third coffee stop and  the bike stalled at a junction, but started immediately. I ran it a few feet and went to turn right and it died on idle again, and again it started right up. I kept the revs up and made it to the cafe, and opened the tank to have a look at fuel levels, low but some in there.

Had a coffee thinking it may have been dirt in the fuel, started the bike and it fired right up. Rode another 10/15 miles and it happened again, stalling if I let the revs drop but ok when the revs were kept up around 2k. I knew the tank must be low but I had no fuel light on, luckily I was next to a petrol station and filled her up to the brim and she fired right up and ran home without problem.

Now of course I am concerned as we are due to go away over the weekend on the bike and I need to fix this issue, especially as my Mrs wasn't keen I brought " another bloody bike"  :006: If we go away and break down Easter will be officially cancelled and I am unlikely to get my hands on the Thorntons chocolates I know she has brought for me  :008:

So my thoughts are it could be a kinked breather pipe as fuel light didn't come on, or it was running on vapours and my fuel light didn't come on... maybe something I did taking the tank off.     

I am going to sneak out to the garage this morning whilst her mum is here so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Simon

Offline Tiger t

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2015 street triple
  • City / Town: Tunbridge wells
Sneak out, lock the door, fix the problem, let the Mrs spend Easter with her mum. Problem solved.

Offline shaun

• Street Triple God
I would take the tank off and go over the work I had done removing the heated grips, if you find the fault all good if not drain the tank and put fresh fuel in. Has the bike been running fine until you removed the heated grips?.

Offline S4int

• Topic Author
*Originally Posted by shaun [+]
I would take the tank off and go over the work I had done removing the heated grips, if you find the fault all good if not drain the tank and put fresh fuel in. Has the bike been running fine until you removed the heated grips?.

Hi Shaun.

Thanks for that, it maybe a loose connection under the tank... do you know if there is a connector to look for?

I am confident it isn't the heated grips removal itself as it covered 100 miles ish since any problem started, and it was just a case of removing pos, neg and a switched 12v pretty simple and playing with electrickery is something I can do.

Thanks

Simon

Offline Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
If it was fine after you filled up I would suspect you possibly have some muck or possibly water in the tank and taking it off and putting it back has shaken it up, The bike is 9 years old after all. When the tank gets low there is more chance of crap being picked up from the tank. Do you have a 20 litre jerry can? or can you borrow one. If so I'd be tempted to take the tank off again, drain it completely, check there is no rubbish in the bottom of the tank. Pop the fuel pump off and check the fuel filter. Then refill with fresh fuel, obviously check all the connections, electrical and petrol to the tank are sound and not trapped/kinked.

the run it and see what happens. The fuel in the can leave for a few days untouched to settle, then use it up, say 5 litres at a time, topping up a half empty tank, but throw away (or keep for cleaning duties) the last 2 - 3 litres.

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
*Originally Posted by S4int [+]
Hi all.

I had an issue yesterday after taking the bike for a long run (approx 90 miles) and am looking for advice where to look first.

The bike is a 2010 and new to me, I have recently taken the tank off to remove the previous owners heated grips.

So went for a long ride and had a couple of stops on the way, most of the day we were riding "enthusiastically". Bike ran fantastically all day then just as we were coming in for a third coffee stop and  the bike stalled at a junction, but started immediately. I ran it a few feet and went to turn right and it died on idle again, and again it started right up. I kept the revs up and made it to the cafe, and opened the tank to have a look at fuel levels, low but some in there.

Had a coffee thinking it may have been dirt in the fuel, started the bike and it fired right up. Rode another 10/15 miles and it happened again, stalling if I let the revs drop but ok when the revs were kept up around 2k. I knew the tank must be low but I had no fuel light on, luckily I was next to a petrol station and filled her up to the brim and she fired right up and ran home without problem.

Now of course I am concerned as we are due to go away over the weekend on the bike and I need to fix this issue, especially as my Mrs wasn't keen I brought " another bloody bike"  :006: If we go away and break down Easter will be officially cancelled and I am unlikely to get my hands on the Thorntons chocolates I know she has brought for me  :008:

So my thoughts are it could be a kinked breather pipe as fuel light didn't come on, or it was running on vapours and my fuel light didn't come on... maybe something I did taking the tank off.     

I am going to sneak out to the garage this morning whilst her mum is here so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Simon

I'm hoping for your sake that it's just the low fuel warning sender dislodged or disconnected inadvertantly during your work under the tank.  Worth checking continuity of the wires from the tank to the electrical connector, though.

Best of luck - the happy ending will be that :-  you find the fault; you keep the wife; the MiL goes home early; you have a great, faultless, fun weekend break and top it all off with a nice surprise prezzie of Thornton's chocolates.

Oh, and I win a Euromillions multi-million jackpot.

And Father Christmas DOES exist .................................

:008:

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Adie

Offline S4int

• Topic Author
*Originally Posted by Tiger t [+]
Sneak out, lock the door, fix the problem, let the Mrs spend Easter with her mum. Problem solved.

When they find my bruised and battered body you know it didn't go well!  :008:

Offline S4int

• Topic Author
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
I'm hoping for your sake that it's just the low fuel warning sender dislodged or disconnected inadvertantly during your work under the tank.  Worth checking continuity of the wires from the tank to the electrical connector, though.

Best of luck - the happy ending will be that :-  you find the fault; you keep the wife; the MiL goes home early; you have a great, faultless, fun weekend break and top it all off with a nice surprise prezzie of Thornton's chocolates.

Oh, and I win a Euromillions multi-million jackpot.

And Father Christmas DOES exist .................................

:008:

Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Adie

Thanks for the reassurance Adie, any word on the Easter Bunny?... Cos it is a BIG box of Thornton chocolates (I can always find another wife)  :008: :008:

Offline S4int

• Topic Author
*Originally Posted by Green_Ninja [+]
If it was fine after you filled up I would suspect you possibly have some muck or possibly water in the tank and taking it off and putting it back has shaken it up, The bike is 9 years old after all. When the tank gets low there is more chance of crap being picked up from the tank. Do you have a 20 litre jerry can? or can you borrow one. If so I'd be tempted to take the tank off again, drain it completely, check there is no rubbish in the bottom of the tank. Pop the fuel pump off and check the fuel filter. Then refill with fresh fuel, obviously check all the connections, electrical and petrol to the tank are sound and not trapped/kinked.

the run it and see what happens. The fuel in the can leave for a few days untouched to settle, then use it up, say 5 litres at a time, topping up a half empty tank, but throw away (or keep for cleaning duties) the last 2 - 3 litres.

Good plan, I am off to the garage  :028:

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
*Originally Posted by S4int [+]
Thanks for the reassurance Adie, any word on the Easter Bunny?... Cos it is a BIG box of Thornton chocolates (I can always find another wife)  :008: :008:

Hi S4int.  The "serious" bit of my reply was to check the continuity of the fuel sender wires ... if the connection to the loom is good!

The Easter Bunny - nah, that's just a fairy tale.   All the rest is real, though.  Honest.   :001:

Oh, and if this wife is buying you BIG boxes of Thornton's chocolates, I'd seriously suggest that you don't want to be looking to find a replacement .......  so get on, and fix that fault. 

Regards,

Adie

Recent Posts/Topics