Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph speed twin  (Read 939 times)

Online adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: Triumph speed twin
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 10:02:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I certainly will be keeping the Street Triple, Shaun.
That Speed Twin's torque is highly addictive and a total blast.
What's more, it handles and steers really well.

Bring it round when you get it, please, Bucksfizz!!  :001: 

I'm desperately keen to arrange a test ride of the Speed Twin - probably up at Fowlers as I have 'a problem' with the two local dealers, and a ride up via Cheddar Gorge is worth the effort.  A riding buddy on his Thrucky R and, possibly my Mrs on her Street Triple, will mean we can make a day of it.

I'd REALLY like to see Triumph make a true retro Speed Twin looking a bit more like the last-of-the-line Speed Twin - similar to the one here  https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1068317  -  with its graceful nacelle, flared front mudguard and rear 'bathtub' enclosures.  Or even the Thunderbird shown here https://motorcycles-for-sale.biz/sale.php?id=25458.

Yeah, I know, far TOO retro for most, but a modern design twist on the theme with a practical application as a roadster might, I think, work.   Or should I just get my coat and shuffle off, agedly, stage left?   :001:

Hope you ALL enjoy a peaceful, sunny, warm and safe Easter!

Regards,

Adie

Offline shaun

• Street Triple God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by bucksfizz [+]
I certainly will be keeping the Street Triple, Shaun.
That Speed Twin's torque is highly addictive and a total blast.
What's more, it handles and steers really well.

Yes you would be mad to sell it especially in that colour which is my favourite,I am beginning to wish I hadnt started this thread because I feel a test ride coming on even though I am very pleased with my RS but the looks of the speed twin thats got me hooked lol.

Offline Triple fan

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 675R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 04:58:09 PM »
I'm thinking of arranging a demo on either a Street Twin or Speed Twin when I take my Street Triple in for it's annual service.
I've never had a big parallel twin & the Triumph twins seem to get really good reviews on YouTube.
The Street Triple's going nowhere though! 

Offline gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »
At Ghent motor event, I could testride a Speed  Twin. it was in group with a lot of other bikes, so probably not the best way to really test a bike, but still.

So what was it like.
It felt nimble, not heavy at all and it was easy to turn in the bike at all times. I only recently started to ride bikes again ( at 52) and I do compare with my 2011 Street triple.

It has a lot of torque, ones I could unleash the bike, but it was very controllable, never scary. Brakes were good.

Now in comparison with my standard 2011 street triple?
I choose the triple all day.

Somehow the engine of the triple is way more flexible and progressive through the complete powerband. I had a feeling that in second gear at low speeds ( in group) the speed twin had the tendency to be on off . A bit jerky. I never have that with my street. Also My street reacts much quicker at all actions on the throttle, but in a natural way. It revs so much more supple.

The twin engine has vibrations that the little triple does not have.

I also felt the engine heat more then on my Street Triple.

I was surprised though that this classic looking 1200 bike handled as nimble as the 675  street triple. I did not see that coming and that is a good thing.

All in all the Speed Twin is a very nice bike, I loved it and it felt @home the instant I was on it. But I will keep my 2011 street triple.

Geert
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:39:12 PM by gvy »

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Sparkly Edition
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 04:09:51 PM »
Test rode a Speed Twin last week as well, agree its a great bike, for me though low speed throttle jerky action was no good, maybe you get used to it, but around town slow speeds you really have to pay attention
Watch my Scotland Trip here on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGUEQClJow

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat