Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Burnt out stator  (Read 1184 times)

Offline mattr6

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: CBR600RR5
  • City / Town: Bideford
Re: Burnt out stator
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
Did you get this sorted?

I've been having starting issues for the past few months now. I've checked charging voltage which is 12.6 at idle so there is a charging issue. Would you suggest I change both reg/rec and stator?

I was hoping to get away with only changing 1 but your experience suggests otherwise.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 09:15:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by mattr6 [+]
Did you get this sorted?

I've been having starting issues for the past few months now. I've checked charging voltage which is 12.6 at idle so there is a charging issue. Would you suggest I change both reg/rec and stator?

I was hoping to get away with only changing 1 but your experience suggests otherwise.

Speak to West Country Windings  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline mattr6

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »
Tom spurs, will do but have heard very mixed reviews about them.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 09:19:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by mattr6 [+]
Did you get this sorted?

There's a test you can do to see what your stator is up to. Unplug the, um, plug, with three wires going into the regulator rectifier. I think it's the bottom one of the two on the right hand side when looking from the rear of the bike. Start the bike and measure the voltage on each of the three wires in the plug. The earth of the multimeter goes to the frame, the positive into the plug. I'm having a moment of utter brain fade, but I think we're measuring A/C, no? Also, I can't recall what the voltage should be. It's something like 10v on each of the three pins (one pin for each of the three phases on the stator). I can't locate where I read about the test at the moment, but have a quick Google and it'll turn up. It might have been on Triumph Rat.net. Someone please rescue my tiny brain and fill in the gaps... You can also test for resistance or inspect the stator manually and look for burnt areas.

EDIT:

Testing details and some info here: https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:26:20 PM by OuzoStreet »

Offline GypseysWhippet

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 Striple R
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »
Mattr6 yes I sorted it....new reg/rec from roadstercycle.com in the US. An upgraded MOSFET FH020AA one....bit of an arse waiting for it but it's a genuine MOSFET reg/rec, not a fake you can get off fleabay. They got a vid on you tube on how to tell. They sell different adapters for each type of plug/wiring harness type too.
Didn't get stator from WCW, went with an RMStator from motoelectrical.co.uk this time round but got it  via their Ebay listing as it was cheaper.
Both working fine, great voltage, not had an issue since. Would recommend both.

I filmed replacing both and have put on you tube....search for my channel called Gypseys Whippet

Quality filming and editing  :001: :008:

Offline GypseysWhippet

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 Striple R
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 10:06:02 PM »
When I got the first stator from WCW they recommended changing reg/rec at same time to be on safe side.....wish I'd have listened!

Offline mattr6

• Street Triple Pro
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 11:49:52 PM »
Gypsey Whippet, great videos. Just trying to decide whether to attempt it myself or stick it in to local shop. Can't see them charging anymore then 1hr labour for fitting new alternator.

Really cant afford to change both reg rec and alternator at the moment so will need to do some checking/testing first.

Recent Posts/Topics