Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Usable Fuel in Tank.  (Read 1042 times)

Offline johnnyrebel

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 Striple RS
  • City / Town: Elgin
Usable Fuel in Tank.
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:45:23 PM »
Ok so the tank of my RS takes 17.4 litres according to the book. After a long run on Saturday the tft was showing a range of '1 mile left' (the last '10 miles left' reading dropped quicker than a $5 hoor's drawers). Anyhoo, just topped her up (the RS, not the hoor) which took 14.8 litres, suggesting she had another 20 miles or so to go. No I'm not planning cutting it that close again...
So, anyone know the usable fuel in tank? My ex-explorer held 20 litres but only 19 were usable.

Offline dunf

• Street Triple Member
  • dunf
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Fife
Re: Usable Fuel in Tank.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 11:03:11 PM »
I found myself struggling to find an open fuel station on a run out around Perthshire one Sunday morning on my old bike - 2014 Speed Triple R 1050. I managed a further 21 miles after the Speedo said zero miles left, then still had about 500ml left according to tank capacity.

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 03:02:04 AM »
My 1050 Tiger left me pushing with about 10km 'left' .  Didn't trust that again.

Offline morebeanz

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Guildford
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 07:50:16 AM »
I asked this before when I had one of the 2010 models. I am convinced that Triumph quote the capacity of the tank, and not the amount of fluid that could fill it. Given that part of the tank is occupied by the fuel pump and associated gubbins, I would imagine that 15-15.5 litres is probably about right.

Also, you can squeeze in a bot more (half a litre?) if the bike is perfectly upright, as opposed to leaning on the side stand.
I don't just count beans, I also understand the commercial significance of beans!

Offline Harrycaine

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 2015
  • City / Town: Sussex
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 10:05:16 AM »
On my  15 plate 675, which I think has the same nominal capacity as the 765 the most I have filled is 16.3 litres and that is on ahem -10 miles range ie 10 miles past 0.  Most  I ever did was -15.

In the summer get maybe 165 mile range....to 0, in winter and steady open roads darn close to 200miles is possible but typical 185miles.

So I'd agree tank size is overstated. On my BMW F800 16 litres was the stated capacity but on more than one occasion put in a smidge more than that.

As you may have noticed I hate filling up and take chances, all dates back to my VTR1000 and it 90 miles range.

HC

Online Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 10:23:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by johnnyrebel [+]
Ok so the tank of my RS takes 17.4 litres according to the book. After a long run on Saturday the tft was showing a range of '1 mile left' (the last '10 miles left' reading dropped quicker than a $5 hoor's drawers). Anyhoo, just topped her up (the RS, not the hoor) which took 14.8 litres, suggesting she had another 20 miles or so to go. No I'm not planning cutting it that close again...
So, anyone know the usable fuel in tank? My ex-explorer held 20 litres but only 19 were usable.

My RS does that as well, much rather have it that way than saying there's fuel left and then you run out.

Online Ali-bear

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple 765 RS
  • City / Town: Chipping Sodbury
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
When it gets that low you have to stop, take off helmet and remove earplugs, open the filler cap and rock the bike to listen for what's left in there.
Will anyone volunteer to go out with a filled petrol container bungee'd onto the pillion set, to deliberately run it dry?

Online Green_Ninja

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street RS/Street R
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ali-bear [+]
When it gets that low you have to stop, take off helmet and remove earplugs, open the filler cap and rock the bike to listen for what's left in there.
Will anyone volunteer to go out with a filled petrol container bungee'd onto the pillion set, to deliberately run it dry?

I have actually thought about that but ER NO  :002:

Offline johnnyrebel

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 Striple RS
  • City / Town: Elgin
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 05:52:11 PM »
Just checked and I did 146 miles from full tank to '1 mile range'. Riding style was 'in a hurry to get home' apart from the last 10 miles which was 'I hope I get home'.

Online RedBikeAgain3

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2015 ST ABS noneR
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ali-bear [+]
You asked, I did!
2015 STriple. After getting the fuel light at 150 miles on a fairly steady ride out exploring some unfamiliar roads yesterday I got home with the odo showing 190, one bar on the gauge and predicted 11 more miles.
Set off this evening with a can of fuel as backup I headed to my usual petrol station.
Gauge went to zero bars at 196. I continued round the local urban roads close to the petrol station. 200 yards from the station (fortunate!) it began to hesitate. Stopped as I pulled up to a pump.
And the scores on the doors....
210.9 miles and 16.5 litres (on the side stand, usual method to keep putting little bits in at the end until just the meniscus around the little circle cut out on the highest, right hand side of the fill tube)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yam DT80, Honda CB250RS, Yam XJ650, Suzuki X7, Kawa GPz500, Honda CB-1 (400), Yam FZS600 and now ... ST

Recent Posts/Topics