Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Oil Level.  (Read 663 times)

Offline johnnyrebel

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 Striple RS
  • City / Town: Elgin
Engine Oil Level.
« on: May 19, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »
So my RS was serviced at the tail-end of last year, earlier today I checked the engine oil level, on flat ground, bike running on the side stand for 5 minutes, then engine off, still on side stand for 2 minutes, then she was held level for 2 minutes, checked the dipstick (bike still level) and there seemed to be too much oil as the level on dipstick was + - 3/4" above the upper mark.
According the the manual I'm checking the level correctly. There is no indication on the bike of this being an issue (seepage / leaks / warning lights).
Any ideas?

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Re: Engine Oil Level.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:23:38 PM »
If its high...drain some off  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline TST

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:46:10 PM »
^that

Probably not the first time a service technician has misread the manual (or not read at all) and overfilled. Mine had 0.5 litres too much in it after the first service.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 09:50:22 PM »
If its defo high, drain it off as it may damage the engine   :134:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline APHLongbridge

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 10:06:06 PM »
I agree you remove it, but probably Be fine.

Back in about 2008/09 Triumph increased the oil capacity by 500ml on the 675 by shortening the dipstick so suggests that the upper limit was not that crucial.

Can you siphon it out via the Dipstick, I reckon youll only need to take a few hundred ml out.

Offline Street675IRL

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Waterford
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:49:47 PM »
Just buy a fresh drum of oil drain off the old stuff and put the correct amount in. A small price to pay for peace of mind. Plus side you have nice fresh oil and you know the quantity is correct 👍🏻.

Offline shaun

• Street Triple God
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 07:59:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by johnnyrebel [+]
So my RS was serviced at the tail-end of last year, earlier today I checked the engine oil level, on flat ground, bike running on the side stand for 5 minutes, then engine off, still on side stand for 2 minutes, then she was held level for 2 minutes, checked the dipstick (bike still level) and there seemed to be too much oil as the level on dipstick was + - 3/4" above the upper mark.
According the the manual I'm checking the level correctly. There is no indication on the bike of this being an issue (seepage / leaks / warning lights).
Any ideas?

I would leave the bike longer to cool down  before I checked the oil after running it,I would leave it at least 5 mins,if it over its nothing to undo the sump plug for a few seconds to remove a little oil.i check my oil after a run out when the bikes still warm and also when its been stood a week and it still shows the same amount of oil on the dip stick.if your balancing the bike to measure the oil then maybe try the way I do it, with the bike on the side stand remove dipstick and wipe it clean then replace it, now sit on the bike and slowly put it level in the riding position for a few seconds for the oil to settle now slowly replace to side stand, now remove dipstick and check the oil.

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:33:58 PM »
Have you checked the coolant? If thats gone down then it could be the reason, but more likely a numbnuts mechanic. Easy enough to drain a bit off although put plenty of paper down and prepare for a bit of spillage.

Offline johnnyrebel

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '17 Striple RS
  • City / Town: Elgin
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
So siphoned off 400ml which brought it down to the upper mark on the dipstick.
Good tip to check the coolant and thankfully it was fine.
400ml.
FFS!
Anyhoo, all good now. Thanks to all for the advise.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat