Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery bot charging  (Read 414 times)

Offline AWS

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2009 Street 675
  • City / Town: Inverness
Battery bot charging
« on: May 20, 2019, 11:36:55 PM »
Hi. I have a 2009 675. A couple of months ago it broke down with a drained battery. AA reckoned it was Regulator or Staor Coil. So I changed both and all was well for a couple of hundred miles then did it again. Fitted new battery and less than 100 miles later died again. Any ideas please.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Re: Battery bot charging
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 06:18:32 AM »
Does this help (look at the fault chart withing the link)  :028:

https://www.electrosport.com/pages/technical-resources
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline AWS

• Topic Author
  • Bike: 2009 Street 675
  • City / Town: Inverness
Re: Battery not charging
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »
Hi Tomspurs. thanks for the link. I had a look at the page and now I think my brain is fried from it lol. I have
 booked it into a local bike repair shop. I will let the pros sort it out.  :028:

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 10:16:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by AWS [+]
Hi Tomspurs. thanks for the link. I had a look at the page and now I think my brain is fried from it lol. I have
 booked it into a local bike repair shop. I will let the pros sort it out.  :028:

Only if the Pro's work there and it's not their day off...otherwise you will have Monkeys fiddling with your 12 - 14 volts  :005:

Offline Leic STRS

• Street Triple Member
  • Bike: Street Triple RS
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:11:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tomspurs [+]
Only if the Pro's work there and it's not their day off...otherwise you will have Monkeys fiddling with your 12 - 14 volts  :005:

I agree 100%, the more posh a place is the less likely it will have pros working there in my experience.

I recently serviced my VW and the "technician" who returned the keys to the car was a student I taught 2 years ago; lets not talk about his work ethic.
Aprilia RS250 2 stroke (1998)
Street Triple RS 17

Offline MeLostNever

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 09 Street Triple 675
  • City / Town: London/Alps
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »
Probably a bit too late to be much help but there was a free recall on the early 675s which saw the RR (Regulator/Rectifier) replaced with a more reliable model.  A phone call to a dealer with you full VIN will be able to confirm if the recall is outstanding.

You say you have already replaced the RR and stator - so did you use genuine parts or go with aftermarket?  Sadly there are heaps of dubious quality RRs out on tBay which can sometimes go south in a few days of being installed.

The right way to sort this out requires a bit of time and patience working with a voltmeter to test the charging system (RR, Stator, battery and loom).  If you are not confident tracking electrical gremlins with a voltmeter - then I too would leave it to a competent motorcycle mechanic.  Certainly for a bike of that age you do not have to go to a main dealer as there are a few well respected independents around who are every bit as good.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 08:21:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by MeLostNever [+]
Probably a bit too late to be much help but there was a free recall on the early 675s which saw the RR (Regulator/Rectifier) replaced with a more reliable model.  A phone call to a dealer with you full VIN will be able to confirm if the recall is outstanding.

...If anyone has still got the old Reg / Rec I am sure the recall would still apply  :028:

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat