Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: regulator wiring  (Read 296 times)

Offline ferreira

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Windsor
regulator wiring
« on: June 18, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
Has anyone ever come across their regulator wiring harness spliced into the main wiring loom? My bike is a 2012 STR.

I replaced my regulator with an aftermarket one when my charging system failed. It ended up failing and melting the connector, so I bought a new regulator link lead and planned to put the original rectifier back on, as it was the stator that had failed, but one of the connectors that should connect the bike to the link lead was missing. So I wen't exploring, unravelling the wiring harness and found that it is spliced into the main loom. I can only assume that the previous owner had done it but it seems strange as it only had 2.5k miles on it when I bought it in 2015. I just can't work out why someone would cut the connectors off and splice it....

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: regulator wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 04:33:08 PM »
Maybe the original connectotor overheated and started to corrode - individual connections can be high resistance and cause voltage loss and heat to generate. Splicing them directly is a known fix.

Online F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:02:32 AM »
I joined the wires from the stator with bare crimps and heatshrink.  The non existent connector won't fail.  Not like I need to take the stator off unless its failed. Then it's just cut and recrimp.

Offline ferreira

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple R
  • City / Town: Windsor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
I ended up chasing the wire back into the loom to find that the connection was actually very good, so it all worked out well in the end.

I guess I was just surprised that a bike with only 2.5k miles would have burnt through a connector. Says it all about triumph electrics I guess! Ive had nothing but issues with the electrics.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat