Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help A New Member With Some Questions.....  (Read 561 times)

Offline DazTovey

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2009 Street Triple
  • City / Town: SOLIHULL
Help A New Member With Some Questions.....
« on: July 16, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »
Hi,

I'm a couple of threads deep now and am enjoying the forum as a source of information.

I guess i'm trying to do what a lot of owners do and that's make their bike their own.

So far i've changed the exhaust to a Leo Vince GP Pro, added a tail tidy, changed the chrome handlebars to black rizoma, removed the flyscreen, removed the belly pan, changed the levers for black, given the bike an oil, filter and plug service and washed/polished it to death.

What i have also done is ride it as often as possible; such a compliant and capable bike.

Plans are to re-trim a seat in chocolate brown, change the rear seat fairings to satin black or remove, change the front mudguard for satin black or carbon, switch the hugger for the later type that is closer to the wheel.

Now i have used the search function, however many of the threads are that old that im not sure if they are relevant or the pictures are missing; bear with me with these questions:

* I saw a Speed Triple yesterday that had angel eye/halo headlights. Are the headlights the same on the speed as they are on the street - both bug eye versions? I havent been able to find much on headlights although i did find some ebay ones that have integrated indicators https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-X2-LED-headlight-3-Pistons-Triumph-Speed-Street-Triple-T509-955-Rocket3/273347754862?epid=1878327800&hash=item3fa4cbbb6e:g:ZVwAAOSwal5YMsxK
Would these work relatively easily? I've seen very expensive kits from Motodemic is it?

* I can source an '09 Daytona rear shock relatively cheaply - my shock looks a little tired on the rear and love the feel of my pals R; is a Daytona shock a relatively cheap upgrade (mileage dependant of course)

* Rear seat fairings - has anybody ran with these off? I took them off for a look and it looks good - shows more of the ladder style rear frame off - perhaps a couple of gaps that would need closing and the tail tidy would need a trim.

* Is the rev limit the same on the ST as it is on the STR - my mates clocks show the red line much higher than mine?

That's all for now folks

Cheers
Darryl

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
Re: Help A New Member With Some Questions.....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
Hi Darryl.

On headlights, I'm fairly sure that the Speed and Street have the same sized bowls.  These halo/led's seem to be well regarded and not too expensive.  I gather, though, that they are a tight fit with the wiring, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wisamic-Headlight-Compatible-Sportster-883-Black/dp/B07FCH5DVV

Offline DazTovey

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by adiepage [+]
Hi Darryl.

On headlights, I'm fairly sure that the Speed and Street have the same sized bowls.  These halo/led's seem to be well regarded and not too expensive.  I gather, though, that they are a tight fit with the wiring, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wisamic-Headlight-Compatible-Sportster-883-Black/dp/B07FCH5DVV

There are SO many of these headlights online - are they simple plug/play - most reference Harley fitment.

For example; i love this look - link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-75-LED-Projector-Headlight-Halo-Angel-Eyes-For-Harley-Sportster-XL883-1200/254154117414?hash=item3b2cc41126:g:Mg4AAOSwxbFcgOfL

Not sure whether these would fit - i have a pal thats handy with electrics

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:17:11 PM »
In theory, any light unit that is suitable for the Rocket or the Speed Triple will also fit your headlight bowls, just like Adie says. As an aside, you can also get replacement carbon fibre headlight bowls if you fancy making that kind of change.

The rev limit on the R is the same as the non R as far as I know. Only the Daytona 675 has a higher limit (it has forged pistons instead of cast, though apparently some early Striples got the forged pistons cos that's what was around - dunno if that's true!). Does your mate's bike have Daytona clocks on it?

You can also use a CBR600 shock as a replacement. I have an R so already have an adjustable shock. There's loads of info online about both swaps, the shock length and all that sort of stuff.

As for the seat fairings, I'm sure you could ride with them off, though you'll let even more weather in (quite a lot gets thrown up into the rear electrics around the gaps either side of the rear most underside trim piece).

See here for a couple of modified bikes running open subframes:

http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-triumph-street-triple

And:

http://mototriumphhellas.blogspot.com/2013/03/triumph-street-triple-675-custom-by.html?m=1

Offline DazTovey

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:48:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply Ouzo - the bike as it currently stands is below.

I've seen reference to pillion peg blanking plates online, but nothing for the 2009-2012 models - are these an option? when behind you can see the square cutouts for where they were and would like to blank the gap, if possible?

Waiting for arrival of some carbon seat fairings from a chap on here.

I had the rearsets powdercoated which has helped the exhaust stand out

still torn on whether to coat the headlight bowls and change the lenses for something different. I really want halo's but cant see how i would wire running lights in given that this would need three settings; DRL, dipped and main. Whereas, currently, dipped is permanently on and you switch mains on with one button.

looks more and more beige every day!

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 11:40:29 AM »
Yes, you can get body coloured blanking plates for the exhaust cutouts in the seat fairings. I have a set for my spare orange bodywork but unfortunately I need them. I've no idea if you can still get them or what the part numbers for them are/were. I'm guessing you'd have to find secondhand ones or make your own unfortunately. Thinking about it, isn't it possible to buy carbon seat fairings without the cutouts? I'm sure I've seen them somewhere but I don't know if my memory is making that up!

How much did it cost to powder coat the rearsets? Did they blank off all the holes etc or did you have to find a way to do it yourself?

I've tried to make all the changes to mine reversible, either by putting new parts on or by buying secondhand parts before I modify them. I suppose if you powder coated you headlight bowls you could always take it off again at some point, but it would be quite a faff to polish the stainless up again.

Looks like you're having fun at any rate and making the bike your own!

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat