Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GB Engine covers  (Read 612 times)

Offline Wolf359

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Street Triple 675r
  • City / Town: Runcorn
GB Engine covers
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »
Finally fitted the covers, perfect fit and confidence inspiring...

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
Re: GB Engine covers
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »
 Your bike looks mint!

Offline Wolf359

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:54:19 PM »
Thanks!

Its a 2009 R thats done less than 4000 miles. Love it!

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 09:58:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wolf359 [+]
Thanks!

Its a 2009 R thats done less than 4000 miles. Love it!

Mine is also a grey 2009 R. It only had 5,700 miles on the clock when I got it a few years ago. Such good fun! I've ended up changing mine quite a lot to suit my needs, but that's not the bike's fault. If you ever choose to put the bike on a diet, they get even better (especially in first!) as they get lighter, though a bit more unstable perhaps.

Offline Wolf359

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »
Great bikes arent they?
All Ive done is the covers so far. The rear foot pegs were already removed when I got it, oh and its got the shorty Triumph levers too.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:12:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wolf359 [+]
Great bikes arent they?
All Ive done is the covers so far. The rear foot pegs were already removed when I got it, oh and its got the shorty Triumph levers too.

The good thing about the early bikes is the lower gearing which really helps make up for the lack of power and torque (compared to something like an R1 that I sold to  it mine). I guess the downside is they carry the weight quite high compared to the post 2013 bikes with the lower exhaust. I suspect early bikes feel much better with the low Arrow exhaust, but so far I've never seen one at a reasonable price. I saved 3 kgs by fitting SC Project GP Evo cans and then another 2.1kgs by changing to a lithium battery. With lots of other changes mine is now about 11 kgs lighter. It's noticeably more spritely, but equally I can still remember my first ride after buying it unseen from a small dealer on eBay - I was impressed (and relieved!).

Offline Wolf359

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 10:14:51 PM »
Youre spot on regarding the bike feeling top heavy. Takes a bit of getting used to initially.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 10:22:57 PM »
I blew about 600 euros on my SC Project end cans, and to be honest I wish I'd waited and splashed 1,000 on an HP Corse Hydroform full exhaust system (or the one Zard make). They save a ton of weight and lower centre of gravity quite a bit I'm guessing, not to mention move it forward a bit.

They don't half steer quickly though which is fun  :002:

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
Looks just like my 2009 R except I've got Leo Vince's which save a bit of weight compared to stock. I've also got GBR covers, axle protectors and sliders. Good investment. Technically the newer bikes might handle better and do more mpg but the early R is such a hoot with the short first gear, and the retro Street fighter looks still give me the horn whenever I open the garage door. Even if I had the dough for a newer bike, I'd keep my old faithful. Mine had less than 3k when I got it. Added another 30k to that in the last few years and hope to still have her when the government takes our petrol away. Or Armageddon. (Which will probably happen when they try it...)

____
Matt Graphite STR 2009 - future classic!
Panto season again...He's behind you! ... Oh no he isn't!
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
Kind of on topic - but, perhaps, off at a slight tangent ......

Has anyone ever trashed a GBR case cover?  I'm looking to find out whether or not the GB Racing "badge" is an insert or an integral  part of the whole casting. 

It's not clear (to me) on the two alternator case covers that I have, whether it might be possible to cleanly remove the badge and 'commission' a Triumph logo'd replacement.   I'm sure that all sounds a bit perplexing so the first question might be "WHY?"!  Well, I have two early Streets - actually mine is a 2010 and SWMBO has a 2009, but I'm  the one that does the work on them so saying "I have" is a kind of reflex action!  I digress. 

I bought Triumph branded case cover sets for each but, as many will know, the alternator cover differs slightly on the early models and properly compatible case cover sets are like unicorn poo to find, so I also bought two GBR covers (thanks again, BEL!).  I've no doubt the GBR's will fit - and they are just as well, if not better, made as the Triumph article.  However - AHEM! - they don't have that lovely Triumph brand badge and I'm a sucker for that badge .... almost as much as I'm a sucker for the synchronicity of appearance.  There's no way that I could own and/or love a triple with a 3 into one exhaust, and I KNOW that's totally illogical; totally ridiculous and bordering on the insane, but at least I'm honest and aware of my shortcomings.  And I'm not at all precious about being a diminutive person, either ....    :001:    I've digressed again, haven't I?  Sorry.

SO ..... if anyone has a GBR case cover that has been trashed and can reveal the way that the 'badge' is 'fixed' in  the cover it would help me decide whtehr or not to try to modify mine .... or get a set of spacers made for the Triumph ones I have!

Apologies to the OP if this is somewhat derailing the thread!!

Regards,

Adie

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat