Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GB Engine covers  (Read 613 times)

Offline dunf

• Street Triple Member
  • dunf
  • Bike: 765R
  • City / Town: Fife
Re: GB Engine covers
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:50:58 AM »
I have.

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by dunf [+]
I have.

Ooooohhhh .... nasty!  Trust it was just the equipment that suffered and NOT the operator?

Do you still have the trashed cover?  If so, can you try to knock that GB Racing badge out of it and see if it's cast/moulded in or is a 'separate' part that's somehow stuck on?

Cheers dunf.

Regards,

Adie

Offline dunf

• Street Triple Member
  • dunf
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 03:17:39 PM »
I can assure you it hurt a fair bit at the time! High side into Duffus at Knockhill in Superstock 600 practice. Few years ago now so all good.

Anyway, the logo is separate. Glued in with 3 blobs of adhesive.

Offline hotmetal

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2009
  • City / Town: Thames Valley
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 08:35:52 PM »
That answer deserves legendary status, for a) helpfulness, and b) style and drama! They look pretty solid, which is reassuring as I've got a set fitted too.

____
Matt Graphite STR 2009 - future classic!
Panto season again...He's behind you! ... Oh no he isn't!
_________
Play nicely!
Bikes I've had:
Vespa 150 Super, GPz500s, FZR600R, ZX6R, FZS1000 (x2), 2009 Matt Graphite STR
and some pedally ones as well!

Offline APHLongbridge

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 09:59:19 PM »
Forgive me for being a little dim... but for the GB covers which have 'seen action' it looks like they've worn through?

I assume this then totalled the engine cover too.

I guess perhaps they're good for a low speed slide, but not sure the point of the expense if they'll wear away that easily?

How much are the replacement engine covers?

Offline dunf

• Street Triple Member
  • dunf
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 10:18:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by APHLongbridge [+]
Forgive me for being a little dim... but for the GB covers which have 'seen action' it looks like they've worn through?

I assume this then totalled the engine cover too.

I guess perhaps they're good for a low speed slide, but not sure the point of the expense if they'll wear away that easily?

How much are the replacement engine covers?

They didn't wear easily. I was doing about 70mph when I crashed and the bike slid on its side on tarmac for a good couple of hundred feet. So, yes the GB covers wore through and yes the original engine covers were also trashed - BUT they didn't hole through. So replace covers and good to go (well apart from the smashed subframes and tank and rad and exhaust and clocks etc 😂). If they'd holed I'd have been looking at oil dumped everywhere and a full engine rebuild to remove the gravel from the internals, and possibly damage components inside. So they did the job. No choice anyway as they are mandatory fitment for racing.

By the way I also had to buy a triumph 765r alternator side cover last year and it was about 160 plus 35 for a new centre badge! Wish I'd had GBs on then. I do now.

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 12:36:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by dunf [+]
I can assure you it hurt a fair bit at the time! High side into Duffus at Knockhill in Superstock 600 practice. Few years ago now so all good.

Anyway, the logo is separate. Glued in with 3 blobs of adhesive.

Hey Dunf.  Many,many thanks - that's great information and hotmetal was right to award you legendary status for it!  On all three counts.  I do hope that the pain and the memory of that high side have long since faded into a bearable haze!

I'm currently trying to get some small spacers made up that might mean I can fit the Triumph branded items that came as part of the set and  that would mean I can have a fully matched set of covers.  If that doesn't work, though, I'll explore the possibility of having a badge - or a blank -made up that would fit that hole!

Thanks again, Dunf.

Regards,

Adie

Recent Posts/Topics