Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: striple for racing  (Read 1560 times)

Online riversbikes

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: striple 675 2010
  • City / Town: brandon
striple for racing
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:03:25 PM »
Hey all, considering turning my 2010 street triple (standard) into a race bike. I did have it out on the track last year and it was a blast. My Ducati racebike project is now looking too "nice" to throw down the track... the ST3 would be fun, the class has more riders than what the Ducati would race in its category, and I was thinking I'd turn it into a winter project with my students (I'm the principal of an elementary school up in Canada, with access to the local High School power mechanics shop). I've built 2 cafe racers with the kids that we then auctioned off. This would be a bit selfish as it's my bike, but the kids would still have fun and learn a lot (as would I).

As it stands, the bike has 32,000 kms on it and runs like a peach. Should do a valve check before next season...
Has driven rearsets (I run reverse shift, and have since I started racing 20 years ago)
I have an arrow header and some link pipes to create a custom exhaust, much lighter than stock. There is a Triumph dealer in my province again now, so I'd start there with the Arrow lowboy tune.

CBR 600RR rear shock. This is so much better than stock and I feel passable as a race shock.

What I'd like to add:

Race bodywork -- there is a place in the UK that will ship me a triumph cup set -- upper with intake and clock mount, bellypan, and seat... for $775 CAD
Question: will a Daytona superbike seat fit an ST3 rear subframe? This would save me a bit of cash from buying from the UK and shipping isn't cheap of course.

Adjustable forks -- from an ST3R or a Daytona
Question: will 2012 or 2015 Daytona forks fit in my triples, or should I get 2011 Daytona forks or older?

Most forks on ebay come without calipers, so I'll use R6 calipers and spacers as I've used those on a lot of my twins cup bikes (and I have the caliper rebuild tool)

I'd need to factor in some other parts, but having raced for so long I've got an R6 master kicking around, and a pile of stainless brake hoses I could use. The bike itself is just so light compared to the other bikes I've had I feel that with some seat time I could surprise a few 600s, and when it rains, the bars might be a significant advantage.
Might even involve the arts teacher and see if kids want to design the paint scheme for it...

The mechanical side doesn't concern me at all -- just wanting to be sure I have my information correct before I start spending money. Can someone talk me in or out of this idea? Remember, it's for the kids....

I might be able to recoup some cash as it also has a Corbin seat (incredibly comfortable) and some oem parts that are still in good shape.

Offline Tomspurs

• Street Triple God
  • 09 ST, CRF230F, DT175MX, DT175C, PE175Z, IT175J
  • Bike: 09 Hinkley ST
  • City / Town: Wallington
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:08:58 AM »
All the forks fit your yokes including the 765RS EXCEPT the Ohlins Daytona R forks as the lower yoke / fork is 54mm instead of the standard 52mm.
I was told by Maxton that the 2010 onward Daytona forks are better than the earlier ones  :028:
Parc Ferme - Car Park Ross

Offline adiepage

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 06:31:36 AM »
Hey Rivers.  What a fantastic sounding project!  I'm sorry that I can't answer any of the technical questions or offer any realistic, real world advice on component compatibility but I do have to say that this is SUCH a great sounding project and on a number of levels.  It should give the kids you teach an enormous sense of achievement to see something they have helped to build come to life and serve its purpose on a track.  It should also provide them with an opportunity to solve problems of a number of sorts, be artistic with colour schemes and see creative engineering at work. 

I, for one, would dearly love to see this go ahead and succeed - and, of course - become a regularly updated feature of the forum?

I applaud and salute you and wish you the best of luck.

Regards,

Adie

p.s. the CBR600RR shock is slightly longer than the stock 675 shock so will change the steering geometry slightly - and the top bush housing is a different size so some modification might be needed there.  But you probably know that already.

Online riversbikes

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
Thanks Adie, for the encouragement.  I already have the CBR shock mounted, due to some advice and support on this and another forum.  I did notice the ride height increase, but no loss of stability that I could see.  I'm thinking a steering damper solution is also a good idea.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 10:04:24 PM »
LOL, did you see the thread in the for sale section featuring race bodywork? This is now in my possession but I haven't done anything with it yet. It needs work as the the gel coat has cracked badly in places, but consists of seat unit, race belly pan and the race RAM air/clock support assembly. As I took ownership of it in return for a charitable donation, I suppose if I part with it I could do the same (I actually joked with Jimmy about doing this a few days ago when I picked it up!!). The only issue would be getting it all to you....

See photos in this thread https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php/topic,33582.0.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:06:49 PM by OuzoStreet »

Online riversbikes

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »
I saw that Ouzo -- I know that parcelforce and DHL will ship stuff to Canada -- might be a hassle for you to get it boxed up and ready to go, but I would cover your shipping costs, as well as payment for your hassle and the parts!  Buying the bodywork new is a considerable expense for the project... this would help.  It would also give the kids some chance to work on dealing with the cracked gelcoat...  if you are willing to part with it, I would be very interested!

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:41:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by riversbikes [+]
I saw that Ouzo -- I know that parcelforce and DHL will ship stuff to Canada -- might be a hassle for you to get it boxed up and ready to go, but I would cover your shipping costs, as well as payment for your hassle and the parts!  Buying the bodywork new is a considerable expense for the project... this would help.  It would also give the kids some chance to work on dealing with the cracked gelcoat...  if you are willing to part with it, I would be very interested!

Ok, I'll take some detailed photos tomorrow and post them here so you can see what you think. Apart from the cost of shipping (no idea how much that would be at this stage) the main thing would be to make a bit more money for charity  :002:.

Online riversbikes

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 11:51:32 PM »
The UK vendor quoted me 85 pounds to ship to my address in Canada.  I'd donate another 100 pounds for the fairings to charity.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by riversbikes [+]
The UK vendor quoted me 85 pounds to ship to my address in Canada.  I'd donate another 100 pounds for the fairings to charity.

Ok. Well, as Jimmy's original aim was to give the bodywork away to a forum member in return for a charitable donation, I think it would be pretty mean of me to hang onto it if we can generate another 100 for charity  :002:

Before that, here are some photos so you can gauge the condition and make sure you're happy first. If you see anything you don't like, please don't feel compelled to purchase it.

Seat fairing: crazing in two places on top where the tip of the subframe pushes against it. Crazing on the right side as pictured. The gel coat is also crazed in a few other places that I can't capture very well.

It weighs approx 1,150g.

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 12:51:53 PM »
Bellypan:

There's a patch that has been taped over, but the fibre glass on the inside looks undamaged as far as I can see. It weighs 700g.

There are also the three support brackets for it and a load of bolts for various bits. Together they weigh 200g

Recent Posts/Topics