Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: striple for racing  (Read 1561 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline OuzoStreet

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 803
  • Bike: Street R 2009
  • Country: UK
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2019, 10:53:51 AM »
That sounds like a truly horrendous experience Adie! I suppose it was better that the consultant was interested, as opposed to going home midway through trying to secure a bed in a hospital with a plastic surgery ward, having placed the patient file containing photos in a place where no one else on duty could find it. In my case that resulted in my partner taking me on a hundred mile drive to find a suitable ward with a free bed and a surgeon prepared to operate at 1 a.m (not motorcycle related by the way). What I will also add is that asking for pain relief in A&E seems to be a guaranteed way of not getting any. I base this on several visits. This is especially so if it's something hidden (like a kidney stone), whereas something messy like a severed finger seems to get more sympathy and action. Ambulance staff on the other hand seem great at identifying pain and making you as comfortable as possible.

Anyway, that level of pain is horrible and I don't think most people understand it, or how long it can potentially last. Perhaps some drivers would be a bit more careful if they did! Hope you've made a full recovery and Rivers does too!

Offline adiepage

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 801
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
  • Country: England
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2019, 04:50:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by OuzoStreet [+]
That sounds like a truly horrendous experience Adie! I suppose it was better that the consultant was interested, as opposed to going home midway through trying to secure a bed in a hospital with a plastic surgery ward, having placed the patient file containing photos in a place where no one else on duty could find it. In my case that resulted in my partner taking me on a hundred mile drive to find a suitable ward with a free bed and a surgeon prepared to operate at 1 a.m (not motorcycle related by the way). What I will also add is that asking for pain relief in A&E seems to be a guaranteed way of not getting any. I base this on several visits. This is especially so if it's something hidden (like a kidney stone), whereas something messy like a severed finger seems to get more sympathy and action. Ambulance staff on the other hand seem great at identifying pain and making you as comfortable as possible.

Anyway, that level of pain is horrible and I don't think most people understand it, or how long it can potentially last. Perhaps some drivers would be a bit more careful if they did! Hope you've made a full recovery and Rivers does too!

Yeah, it was horrendous at the time, OS - but it was a long time ago.  I've kind of made a full recovery - I have some limitation in the movement of my left arm, and I've lost almost an inch from my right leg but neither of these "features" has or ever will stop me from riding motorcycles for as long as I possibly can!  Hopefully 'rivers' will do the same.

Online riversbikes

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 19
  • Bike: striple 675 2010
  • City / Town: brandon
  • Country: canada
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »
Good news, my initial assessment by my own doctor is positive, and additionally, the additional insurance coverage I purchased last year through my employer means my ambulance trip and follow up physio will be covered!  I'm pretty happy, all things considered.  Looking over the bike in the light of day shows that things are not as bad as they seemed at the time... I thought the frame was broken at the rearset mount but it isn't.  The broken pieces mostly were what I was going to replace anyway (reasets, levers, etc).  The sidecovers did not wear through (although I am definately going to get some GB covers), and the oil I saw on the case was just a bit weeping from the APE manual camchain tensioner... which is an easy fix.
Frustratingly, it will be a minimum of 2-4 weeks before I can even pick up a wrench... so a question --

For a 2010 striple, if I remove the sidestand switch will it still go into gear, or do I have to jump the wires on the loom?  Online searches show 06-09 Daytona just have to remove the sidestand, but later models get a bit fuzzy... 

Offline OuzoStreet

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 803
  • Bike: Street R 2009
  • Country: UK
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by riversbikes [+]

For a 2010 striple, if I remove the sidestand switch will it still go into gear, or do I have to jump the wires on the loom?  Online searches show 06-09 Daytona just have to remove the sidestand, but later models get a bit fuzzy...

I'm fairly sure if you remove it and try to start the bike North America will split in two and Canada will drift off towards the North pole....  :038: Sorry, I honestly don't have sensible answer for you.

Great news about your insurance and the state of the bike though. What a relief. Do the lock stops on the frame and yokes look ok?

Online riversbikes

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 19
  • Bike: striple 675 2010
  • City / Town: brandon
  • Country: canada
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »
Pro tip -- walk into your local bike shop you've supported for 20 years in a sling, and the owner might give you a bigger discount than usual on replacement parts... worked for me!

Offline OuzoStreet

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 803
  • Bike: Street R 2009
  • Country: UK
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2019, 04:40:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by riversbikes [+]
Pro tip -- walk into your local bike shop you've supported for 20 years in a sling, and the owner might give you a bigger discount than usual on replacement parts... worked for me!

Am I the only person on this forum who DOESN'T get a discount from their local bike dealer? Clearly I'm doing something very wrong.

Thanks for the tip though, and congrats! Silver linings and all that  :002:

Offline adiepage

  • Street Triple Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 801
  • Bike: Street Triple std.
  • City / Town: Mid Devon
  • Country: England
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by OuzoStreet [+]
Am I the only person on this forum who DOESN'T get a discount from their local bike dealer? Clearly I'm doing something very wrong.

Thanks for the tip though, and congrats! Silver linings and all that  :002:

Nope, OuzoStreet, you are NOT the only person on this forum not getting a local dealer discount ..... but that's because I won't set foot in either of my "local" dealers!  Tact and diplomacy dictate that I should simply say that our views on customer service and value for money differ so wildly that we're never likely to agree so they've both lost my custom!

Online riversbikes

  • Street Triple Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 19
  • Bike: striple 675 2010
  • City / Town: brandon
  • Country: canada
Re: striple for racing
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2019, 01:32:57 PM »
In my case the owner of my local shop (not a triumph dealer -- Kawi, Suzuki, and snowmobiles) had a broken thumb from a motocross accident... he's pushing 60!  Off to the only Triumph dealer (just opened) in Manitoba for a look see today... 2 hour drive to Winnipeg!

 


Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat