Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacement the chain and sprockets  (Read 1708 times)

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: 2014 Street Triple R
Re: Replacement the chain and sprockets
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 08:13:03 PM »
I went with genuine Triumph sprockets with an uprated Tsubaki Alpha XRG 525 gold chain.

Believe it or not, the standard steel sprockets are very durable, brilliant longevity and a vibration damper on the front one, its the standard chain which lets the whole thing down.

I replaced my chain and sprockets prematurely at 17,000 miles because a few O rings had begun to fail and you could see rust dust coming out of those links. I take good care of my chain and never let it go dry and tend to clean it thoroughly every 1200 miles or so.

The Tsubaki chain and standard sprockets have now done 8000 miles and theres no appreciable wear and tension is very even throughout. Ive never adjusted it between tyre changes generally around 3000 - 4000 miles other than in the initial wearing in.

I would stay away from aluminium rear sprockets if youre after longevity, yes theyre lighter but the Street Triple isnt a race bike and a few grams weight savings are not worth the price and sacrifice of longevity. The only aluminium sprocket designs worth going for are the Supersprox type with an aluminium hub but steel other tooth ring.

I dont commute on my bike, just day trips and weekend thrashings. Im very throttle happy and use a quickshifter for every upshift other than between 1st and 2nd.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:32:01 PM by VBui »

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
  • Bike: Street Triple 09
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 08:25:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by VBui [+]
I replaced my chain and sprockets prematurely because a few O rings had begun to fail and you could see rust dust coming out of those links.

What was the  mileage on the OE chain? Mine is still fine after 18k miles and all I do is give it an occasional wipe with a small amount of gearbox oil. Fair weather rides only TBF.

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 08:33:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]
What was the  mileage on the OE chain? Mine is still fine after 18k miles and all I do is give it an occasional wipe with a small amount of gearbox oil. Fair weather rides only TBF.
Sorry missed that, just edited my post to include. I replaced it at 17,000 miles but first noticed the problem around 15,000.

Offline greyhound81

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Sparkly Edition
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 12:38:01 AM »
Replacing chain and sprocket on my 2.5 year old street triple tomorrow- its on 17k Miles, used in all conditions, kind of premature depending on who you ask, wish me luck
Watch my Scotland Trip here on youtube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGUEQClJow

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 12:10:05 PM »
I'd deffo fit a chain oiler if I used it in all conditions, prob a Tutoro Auto kit.
https://www.tutorochainoiler.com

Offline JonyB

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: Street Triple R 2011
  • City / Town: Wollongong
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 04:10:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by tim.8061 [+]

My bike currently has around 11k miles (17.5k kms) and me too already started to see few rust specs here and there... Only ride in fair weather too, and bike is always in garage. It is still OEM original and bike is now 8 years old. Would expect it to last a bit more though...
Ride to add life to your days, not days to your life.

Street Triple R 2011
ZX9R C2 (1999)
HEL || JayBee Biker Bits || STOMPGRIP || MOTUL

Offline 2012StreetT

• Street Triple Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Street Triple
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 10:59:58 PM »
What are people views on mixing sprocket brands, so a JT cushioned front sprocket with a Supersprox rear one?

Offline tim.8061

• Street Triple God
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by 2012StreetT [+]
What are people views on mixing sprocket brands, so a JT cushioned front sprocket with a Supersprox rear one?

How could it possibly matter?

Offline VBui

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 08:39:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by 2012StreetT [+]
As long as its for the same chain pitch itll be just fine

Recent Posts/Topics