Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: led lights  (Read 1090 times)

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2011 street triple
Re: led lights
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
Yes , It is indeed an aluminium heatsink and they look well built, but I cannot judge them this early, so I am carefull not to be to enthousiast...
But at about 35 for a 7" one at aliexpress, you can have a go , don't you?

One more thing. I did experience that the lenses are fogging up a bit when I used them and it goes away. I googled this and I found that this is not a defect but a normal thing with those ledprojectors. ( Not only the chinese ones....) so no worries

And yes the split ones as you mentioned are indeed nice. I like those looks. For one 7" light , this would be great.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:58:26 PM by gvy »

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: Street R 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 09:19:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by gvy [+]
Yes , It is indeed an aluminium heatsink and they look well built, but I cannot judge them this early, so I am carefull not to be to enthousiast...
But at about 35 for a 7" one at aliexpress, you can have a go , don't you?

Ha ha, yes, I could. The trouble is, it has taken me three years to find the correct position for my hands. Now that I have finally done that (after trying three sets of bars!) I guess I can turn my attention to the way the bike looks  :002:

So far the 7" headlight was purely to facilitate trying different types of bars. Now that I have made my final choice, I think it might now be possible for me to return to the original headlights, but I might need to modify the support bracket for the instrument cluster. It will be close, especially with the bars on full left lock. Decisions, decisions  :002:

There was one happy coincidence changing to a 7" headlight and raised clipons - saving 1.1kgs in weight. Having 'added lightness' I don't know whether to go back! I think Colin Chapman would have had an opinion on this  :038:

I quite like the 6.5" Koso Lightning that completely eliminates the need for a headlight shell, but it is expensive, plus I don't know how heavy it is! Below is a picture from a Triumph at the Bike Shed show that was using one (with a Street Triple R front end too).

And also a picture of a Street with clipons and (I think) a shortened support bracket for the instruments. This is why I am interested in your LED headlights. :002: Lots to think about, so many choices!

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
  • Bike: STR 11
  • City / Town: Wellington
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 02:11:49 AM »
I have no real opinion on the conversion,  well ok I kinda like the Dame Ednas, but just browsing through there is one of my pet hates;

Preinsulated terminals are the work of the Devil.  And that prick does a damn sight more hours than God who seems to be asleep at his desk.

Cut it off, buy a proper forming crimp tool and crimps with separate sleeves just like bikes have standard  for good reason.

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »
Dave,

I understand your worry, however.
In most occasions ( I have 2 oldtimers ) I only trust soldered connections covered with crimping sleeves, but...
It is my feeling that a projector unit has to have the possibility to be removed and reinstalled from its housing, without the need for cutting wires.
The existing 3 pole connector (earth,low beam,high beam) is good quality and connects the ledprojector in a good detachable way.
So it is not my preference to solder ( fixed connection) that one wire that is needed to power the halo led ring ( real low power that is).

That is why I crimped a faston connector to the yellow wire to connect it. And I did use a sleeve over the connection
I am an electrical engineer and have access to a professional crimping tool (not the DIY types), that are used in wiring of professional cabinets. (YES even in production wiring , these crimping fastons are still used.  If you use the right faston for the right wiregauge and crimp it with the right tool, it really is secure.

That said, I understand your concern, for I have seen hideous connections in the past, mostly because the use of wrong material , and yes for a fixed connection I prefer a good solid soldering.

About the conversion. I see you also have an 2011 street triple ( with the Dame Edna's ?)
My bike is a phantom black 2011 street triple that was original delivered with the round headlights, so it is not so much a conversion. I just installed the 5 3/4" led in the original round housings on my bike. So I did not convert mine from Dame Ednas to round
2011 was the year they went from Round to Dame Edna,  so both were delivered.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:20:13 PM by gvy »

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 10:29:10 PM »
A little update on my new ledlight modification:

I already stated that the low beam is very bright ( daylight), The highbeam does not add much, and I wanted answers, so a little research showed me the answer.
I have discovered that the pattern of the low beam is as in the picture.
In the middle there is a clear spot that sticks out way above the line.
Because of that you tend to target the low beam to low, because otherwise that clear spot is blinding the upcoming traffic.

20190728_221616 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

So I cut a piece of tape diameter 3cm in the shape of half moon and sticked those on the right place on the two beams. ( I am not gonna explain why 3cm, but it is very visual upclose on the lens when you light up the low beam)
Have a good look on the picture and you will see where this is positioned.
20190729_225047 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

More important, The low beam pattern is now changed to the picture below. There is an almost flat line now and the only residue of light above that is mainly caused by the halo ring ( angel eyes) and is not really a blinding issue.
So now it is easier to target the low beam higher and get a better further view without blinding the upcoming traffic.

20190729_223901 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

If I switch on the high beam, there is also a big difference between low and high after this modification.

20190729_223914 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

I still have to find me a wall with about 10m flat surface in front to do a spot on hight adjustement, but now I think this will be an easy job.

Anyway: Those lights are way brighter ( and cooler looking) than standard. HAPPY HAPPY
I may later on DIY a bit and make those half moon stickers in the form of the TRIUMPH (T) logo to give it a professional cool look

20190728_221534 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:35:11 PM by gvy »

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 02:24:56 AM »
Ahh, it did look like a pre insulated connector.  They dont have wrapped crimp and wind me up.  Being in electronics manufacture, let's say for harsh environments,  I am predisposed to solder.  (Being off the tools for a couple of decades I'm now a bit dangerous with hot metal).  However Automotive I always crimp as it can cope with flex.

Interesting the cross over year of lights.

My Tiger came with HID.  Much brighter close up but worse long distance.  Got harassed at WOF time so out they came.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:36:52 AM by F5 Dave »

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
The beam in that last picture is fantastic. I can see why you are so pleased. And it cost so little. What an upgrade! Congrats  :002:

P.S you're tempting me to try one for my 7" light!

Online gvy

• Street Triple Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 11:53:17 PM »
I just came back from a nice testride in the dark. Belgium is a strange country  :027: I live in the countryside and I really had to search to find a non illuminated countryroad. Over here we have streetlighting everywhere. There are simply no dark roads. Anyway...
This evening I had planned to set up and aim the headlights in a correct way. And no I did not need a wall and a flat space of 25 feet. I have done it in my garage.
I have found this video to be very accurate and clear, so I share it here : It gets interesting from minute 2.

Because the lenses of my Chinese ledprojectors are infact badly engineered and have a central higher hotspot that sticks out over the flat line when on low beam, as I explained in the posts before, I had them , as expected, aimed to low, because they blinded upcoming traffic.
After fixing this error using the half moon shaped tape, as I explained before I got a flat line and I was able to accurately aim the beam in the correct way ( as in the video) and that was now a lot higher, without blinding upcoming traffic . The result was really good as the testdrive revealed.
Some final shots:
On the garageport :
20190730_232222 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

In a countryroad without streetlights ( yes I have found one after a long search  :008: )
20190730_234141 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

On a T - crossing of the road:
20190730_235246 by Geert Vijncke, on Flickr

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:03:36 AM by gvy »

Offline OuzoStreet

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »
Hey Geert. Recently I've been reading about regulator /rectifiers and the propensity of our stators to overheat and burn out (it looks like mine is in the process of doing this). If I have understood correctly LED lights can exacerbate this problem because they draw less power and therefore the shunt type of regulators that our bikes have can allow the stator to get very hot indeed. When I read about this I thought of you. I don't know if this is something you need to worry about, but there is more info here:

https://www.street-triple.co.uk/index.php/topic,28597.0.html F5 Dave has already changed his reg/rec to a Shindengen SH847 to help the stator run cooler (it's a series regulator). It not a straight swap and requires a new mounting bracket (well within your capability). For some reason it's also really expensive now.

More info: http://www.roadstercycle.com/index.htm

I'm not sure which rec/reg you have. Mine is the FH012 that was fitted as part of the recall. This has now been superseded by the FH020 on newer bikes (even the 765 uses it, plus loads of BMWs etc) which I think has built in heat protection so it can at least switch itself off if is getting too hot. This is still a shunt type though.

Anyway, I will be replacing my stator soon and will either buy an FH020 (possibly secondhand) or buy a brand new SH847 like F5 Dave.

Offline F5 Dave

• Street Triple Master
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
That seems like a decent sort of site.

Recent Posts/Topics

scandal-fat